Can we have a nice civil chat about “Cuse”? | Syracusefan.com

Can we have a nice civil chat about “Cuse”?

DoubleDee

All American
I ask that way, because I’m sure this could tick many off. But I’m also sure there must be some on my side. (Can we have this on the basketball side too?)

We’ve been talking a lot for years at work about this, and I feel this is the best place to further the discussion.

Where the heck did “‘Cuse” come from? Was it someone lazy? Was it an attempt to have a similar nickname to ‘Bama, ‘canes, ‘noles, etc? It is a trademarked thing with the university, and quite honestly it makes my skin crawl. (Isn’t it nice to have a great football season so we can talk about petty stuff like this?)

What exactly is “Cuse Mode”? When that shirt came out I thought “c’mon Nike, you can do better than that!”. I will not spend a dime on merchandise that uses the term.

When I see a close up of the cheerleaders on a broadcast and one says “let’s go ‘cuse!” I just want to die inside. God forbid they have a microphone in the middle of the field. What is the back story on “Cuse”? Please enlighten me.

Forgive me if you prefer “‘Cuse”. And if that’s you, can you agree that it would be nice to be more uniform as a fan base?

I’m a firm believer that the most acceptable phrase is “Go Orange”. That is incorporated in the good old “let’s go Orange chant”, so no argument there. Orange Nation is great as well.

But I envision a world where we check out at the grocery store and say Go Orange. You hang up the phone, Go Orange. You get the idea. You can’t do anything in Alabama without a “Roll Tide”. Yes I know we’re not Alabama, but we can root for our team with an official phrase. Anyone catch the Auburn “War Eagle” commercial this season? It’s a thing of beauty, well except for all the Auburn stuff.

I walked up the hill this year, and an Uber or Lyft pulled up. A guy got out and thanked the driver, and they exchanged “Go Orange”’s. I couldn’t help but smile, as it was exactly what I wish we had here.

I know for a fact that HCDB feels that the one thing missing here is “our own thing”. A tradition. Like UCLA’s 8-clap. I personally think we’ve made strides this year with Wildhack/ Babers in that regard. The organic “whose house/our house” chant in the Dome is really taking off. I’d like to think every person in town giving a “Go Orange” to each other would contribute to the overall unity of the base.

I just would really like to know others opinion on this.

I used to HATE “Cuse”. LOATHE IT.

But, over time, it grew on me a bit.
Maybe it was from Bill Raftery saying it, or just general usage of the nickname becoming more and more common.

It could be worse - at least we’re not “Sparty”.

I used to HATE “Cuse”. LOATHE IT.

But, over time, it grew on me a bit.
Maybe it was from Bill Raftery saying it, or just general usage of the nickname becoming more and more common.

It could be worse - at least we’re not “Sparty”.

Same with me. I still rarely, if ever, say it. I'm proud of where I'm from and prefer the correct name. But I've gotten used to others saying it and can live with it.

I can agree that ‘Cuse is easier to spell or chant than Syracuse. But I think my general argument is ‘Cuse vs Orange.

When someone says or texts me “let’s go ‘Cuse”, I wanna throw up. In my mind, I throat punch them. But don’t worry, I’m very nice and rather weak, so that’ll never happen. :)

I'm 34 years old Syracuse born and bred and I've called it the cuse for as long as I can remember. I don't really think it's any kind of new phenomenon. I mean, John Wallace et al were saying it in 1996.

Excellent example of when it can work. I still have my Cuse is in the house sign and t shirt from that final 4 run.

I just don’t buy it as the phrase that pays, like Go Orange.

In Minnesota, everyone says go gophers I assume. Not “go ‘apolis”.

It would be great to have about a dozen different nicknames. Something for everyone. Can’t love them all!

Excellent example of when it can work. I still have my Cuse is in the house sign and t shirt from that final 4 run.

I just don’t buy it as the phrase that pays, like Go Orange.

In Minnesota, everyone says go gophers I assume. Not “go ‘apolis”.

But is "'apolis" a nickname for Minneapolis? I think SU is a fairly unique school in that it shares its name with the city it inhabits, so some of that local terminology is going to seep into references to the university.

I ask that way, because I’m sure this could tick many off. But I’m also sure there must be some on my side. (Can we have this on the basketball side too?)

We’ve been talking a lot for years at work about this, and I feel this is the best place to further the discussion.

Where the heck did “‘Cuse” come from? Was it someone lazy? Was it an attempt to have a similar nickname to ‘Bama, ‘canes, ‘noles, etc? It is a trademarked thing with the university, and quite honestly it makes my skin crawl. (Isn’t it nice to have a great football season so we can talk about petty stuff like this?)

What exactly is “Cuse Mode”? When that shirt came out I thought “c’mon Nike, you can do better than that!”. I will not spend a dime on merchandise that uses the term.

When I see a close up of the cheerleaders on a broadcast and one says “let’s go ‘cuse!” I just want to die inside. God forbid they have a microphone in the middle of the field. What is the back story on “Cuse”? Please enlighten me.

Forgive me if you prefer “‘Cuse”. And if that’s you, can you agree that it would be nice to be more uniform as a fan base?

I’m a firm believer that the most acceptable phrase is “Go Orange”. That is incorporated in the good old “let’s go Orange chant”, so no argument there. Orange Nation is great as well.

But I envision a world where we check out at the grocery store and say Go Orange. You hang up the phone, Go Orange. You get the idea. You can’t do anything in Alabama without a “Roll Tide”. Yes I know we’re not Alabama, but we can root for our team with an official phrase. Anyone catch the Auburn “War Eagle” commercial this season? It’s a thing of beauty, well except for all the Auburn stuff.

I walked up the hill this year, and an Uber or Lyft pulled up. A guy got out and thanked the driver, and they exchanged “Go Orange”’s. I couldn’t help but smile, as it was exactly what I wish we had here.

I know for a fact that HCDB feels that the one thing missing here is “our own thing”. A tradition. Like UCLA’s 8-clap. I personally think we’ve made strides this year with Wildhack/ Babers in that regard. The organic “whose house/our house” chant in the Dome is really taking off. I’d like to think every person in town giving a “Go Orange” to each other would contribute to the overall unity of the base.

I just would really like to know others opinion on this.

Never had an issue with Cuse.

Grown to love Cuse.

Ill always love Cuse.

Why not just say "Orange" or "Orangmen" or just Syracuse. Not a big fan of Cuse. Of course, as long as they are winning, you can call them Scarlet Knights for all I care. Just kidding.

I can agree that ‘Cuse is easier to spell or chant than Syracuse. But I think my general argument is ‘Cuse vs Orange.

When someone says or texts me “let’s go ‘Cuse”, I wanna throw up. In my mind, I throat punch them. But don’t worry, I’m very nice and rather weak, so that’ll never happen. :)
Yeah. Go ahead. Take a dump on my town. It's cool. I mean I know your alma mater (you wanna talk about barf in your suit at a sound you make with your mouth??? Hey Muffy! Care for some shrimp?) is up there...high on the hill where the sewage just rolls down to where all of us scrubs and street folk do what we do. But yeah. Orange. Of course. You know, live from Orange in the middle of nowhere. Got a nice ring to it.

Oh! You wanted a civil discussion? Yeah ok. No prob. Use toilet paper next time. Flush twice. That way you might convince people your ish really doesn't stink. No prob.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DTCSEC

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom