Can we talk about the concession operation again... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Can we talk about the concession operation again...

The Dome does not have the space required to do things like that, and like others have said there are restrictions on what concessions can operate right now.

Also, by outsourcing the Dome is losing concession profits.

you don't lose concession profits if your existing operation is so inept that people buy less.

if outsourcing is lost profits why does anyone outsource then? are they just lazy? no way

you pay them, they do a better job, people buy more, they get paid, you get paid, fans get back to their seat with better food and drink, everyone wins.

The new pizza is made by the SU food services people instead of Sbarro's. If I were rating it, I would change the grade from a 2 to a 3.5. Still not good but better than the truly awful Sbarro's.

We can and need to do better.
nothing baffles me more than the prolonged existence of sbarro's. the stupid name, the god awful finger quote pizza. how on earth did they not get put out of business in a month?

I've been to the Dome countless times (I really can't even count it), and I can't ever once remember having an issue with any of the food or beer or amount of time it took me to get something.

Yeah, rules like 2 beer per person minimum or stopping beer sales at the end of halftime can be annoying, but I always assumed they came from a higher power. And it's probably a good thing too in the grand scheme.

I don't go there for fine dining. The hot dog or pizzas hit the spot.

Maybe I'm just low maintenance, but I save my complaints about food or service for actual restaurants.

nothing baffles me more than the prolonged existence of sbarro's. the stupid name, the god awful finger quote pizza. how on earth did they not get put out of business in a month?

Shortest line in the mall food court?

I don't know. But I know if I really want to clean out the system, just go there and get the ziti. You'll be regular in about an hour.

We came up for the Fair this summer. So many great local eats that show up there that I think would be fantastic in the Dome. Giannelli sausage sandwiches, Twin Trees pizza, Villa Pizza Fritte, Byrne Diary Soft Serve, etc.

This. Anyone who suggests not eating does not have kids or is too old to remember what it's like. Until they're in 3rd or 4th grade... maybe even older than that... they're not really there to follow the players, playcalling, etc. They're taking in the entire experience sans the actual game in most cases. They're trying to spot otto with binoculars, they are mesmerized by baton twirlers, they comment how the band wears sparkly feathered hats, they eagerly await the choo-choo smoke when they hear the train whistle, and study the old people who randomly stand up to yell. But because this is college football, there is ample down time between all of this, and THAT is when the food and snacks become your best friend and an excuse to take them for a walk in the much maligned concourses.

It was getting quite uncomfortable in there on Saturday. I wanted to grab some ice cream for the kids shortly after halftime thinking the lines would be shorter, but because we have only ONE ice cream vendor in the entire building, we quickly scanned the line that went about 30 deep and realized it wasn't happening. This is just one example. Honestly Sala and Wild should be embarrassed and I hope there are sincere plans to rectify this during the renos.
The ice cream cookie sandwiches are a good option vs. the ice cream stand. Can get at regular concessions. And easier to eat vs. the idiotic tiny cups they use for the ice cream...

We came up for the Fair this summer. So many great local eats that show up there that I think would be fantastic in the Dome. Giannelli sausage sandwiches, Twin Trees pizza, Villa Pizza Fritte, Byrne Diary Soft Serve, etc.
Pizze Fritte would make a killing with a captive audience, especially since they don't currently do any winter events. But they would have to double the planned width of the individual seatbacks and reduce the dome capacity to about 22,000.

The ice cream cookie sandwiches are a good option vs. the ice cream stand. Can get at regular concessions. And easier to eat vs. the idiotic tiny cups they use for the ice cream...
yeah i remember finding the cookiewiches back in the Gerg days when i would just aimlessly roam the concourses pondering the meaning of life. Was the highlight of the game.

Pizze Fritte would make a killing with a captive audience, especially since they don't currently do any winter events. But they would have to double the planned width of the individual seatbacks and reduce the dome capacity to about 22,000.
FrancoPizzaFritte

IMO the Dome food is no worse than most standard places. My #1 issue with them is line management honestly. They need to have those snake line things like they have at the bank that keeps people snug to the concession stands, and also ensures people get to go in order of arrival, not based on how inept your particular cashier may or may not be

Honestly Sala and Wild should be embarrassed and I hope there are sincere plans to rectify this during the renos.
Are people not paying attention? Upgrading the concessions has been discussed in just about every interview about the renovations. Roof, video and sound in phase 1, concourse and concessions and other mods in phase 2.

Are people not paying attention? Upgrading the concessions has been discussed in just about every interview about the renovations. Roof, video and sound in phase 1, concourse and concessions and other mods in phase 2.
Is there a reason why we can't get some of the more popular franchises in there to lease out like they do in the mall or at festivals? Auntie Anne's, Cold Stone, Pizze Fritte, Dunkin Donuts, Little Caeasar's, Franco's Pizza, etc.

I love the sisters of the poor when they're an easy W, not when they're the ones selling the food.

Is there a reason why we can't get some of the more popular franchises in there to lease out like they do in the mall or at festivals? Auntie Anne's, Cold Stone, Pizze Fritte, Dunkin Donuts, Little Caeasar's, Franco's Pizza, etc.

I love the sisters of the poor when they're an easy W, not when they're the ones selling the food.

giphy.gif

1) How do you know they won't when the renovation is done?
2) It takes two to tango, perhaps some of these franchises aren't interested?

FWIW, I had a bite of the Little Caesar's pizza they had at Camping World Stadium and it was absolute garbage. Bringing in franchises doesn't necessarily mean the food quality will improve.

The slowness of the concession stands is a big complaint on our board, too. The caterer is Aramark, but each stand is staffed by some local organization as a fundraiser. That's not going to change, so you're going to need to change. If you're going to the stand, you need to adjust your timing. Showing up at the start of halftime when everyone else shows up isn't going to get you back to your seat very fast.

Nobody pays attention to anything. Certain people just like to complain about anything and everything SU related.

People don't appreciate how good Gianelli sausage is until they move away and eat terrible italian sausages elsewhere.

Do they still let random volunteer groups manage the concessions? While I like the concept, I think that makes for a terribly inconsistent operation.
The organizations "buy" the concession. They keep the night's "profit". (Unsure on the breakdowns.)

Is phase 2 definite? Funding in hand ready to be spent?

Getting closer but I’m not sure they are there