Can we talk about the concession operation again... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Can we talk about the concession operation again...

A lot of things I thought were a given were suddenly “in consideration” based on that article.

What have you thought was a given?

This. Anyone who suggests not eating does not have kids or is too old to remember what it's like. Until they're in 3rd or 4th grade... maybe even older than that... they're not really there to follow the players, playcalling, etc. They're taking in the entire experience sans the actual game in most cases. They're trying to spot otto with binoculars, they are mesmerized by baton twirlers, they comment how the band wears sparkly feathered hats, they eagerly await the choo-choo smoke when they hear the train whistle, and study the old people who randomly stand up to yell. But because this is college football, there is ample down time between all of this, and THAT is when the food and snacks become your best friend and an excuse to take them for a walk in the much maligned concourses.

It was getting quite uncomfortable in there on Saturday. I wanted to grab some ice cream for the kids shortly after halftime thinking the lines would be shorter, but because we have only ONE ice cream vendor in the entire building, we quickly scanned the line that went about 30 deep and realized it wasn't happening. This is just one example. Honestly Sala and Wild should be embarrassed and I hope there are sincere plans to rectify this during the renos.
For the most part, it's the food, not the games, that hook the young kids on going, especially marathon FB games.

A Dome dog and a Dome foam are the Holy Orange communion. What other sustenance does one need for a 4 hour period.

It blows my mind the number of people who are willing to settle for second rate service or facilities just because they either don’t use it or because it’s always been a certain way.

As many have stated, good luck satiating your little kids for four hours with no snacks. And good luck telling them exactly when they have to eat if you want to try to beat the lines if possible. “Son, I don’t care if you’re not hungry now. It’s the end of the first quarter and you’re going to eat because the wait is 5 minutes instead of 15.” Yeah. Especially when they’re at the age when those things matter to them.

Honestly, the concessions are good enough for me – I like my dry, salty pretzel and a couple (few) beers, but I totally understand where the complaints come from. Half the time I order my beer and the kids either don’t understand me or can’t figure out the register. Nothing against them. It’s not their fault. The one thing that has been mentioned here that I actually think helps during busy times is the fact that they don’t use ketchup or mustard dispensers. Imagine how much longer those lines would be during a packed house if you had to wait for people to pump the crap out of those things or have a clueless worker have to try to refill them? At least people can just grab a few pouches and run as it is now.

But when you look around at other facilities and see what sorts of potential there is for more efficiency, more options, and more quality, it’s hard to not be jealous and question why we can’t have that – at least to an extent.

But I will never understand the mentality of telling people to just not use the concessions. Sure it’s easy to get through a game without a drink or food. And it’s easy to make comments regarding the relative size of the average fan. But it’s not about us as the fan. It’s about the University providing a service. And typically, a company providing a service should strive to provide one that it can be proud of and further encourage patrons to desire it. I don’t go into the Dome with the expectation that I have to eat something. But I’m there to have a good time and if I get the itch for something during the game, it shouldn’t be a dreaded experience. I don’t think it’s too much to ask.

yea my incident from saturday was mid 2nd quarter , Cashier sees line of 15 people in line , perfect time to take a break and worse she doesnt tell anyone she is closing the register so instead of 15 people in 2 seperate lines, there are 30 in 1 giant line

athletic depts have enough trouble running their own stuff let alone figuring out how to make concessions work. its a problem at most every place unless they value the experience enough to have the proper management.

I'm not gonna pile on to the quality of the food at the concession stands at the Dome, because that's a well-known issue. My problem this year has been massive staffing issues. I sit in 311 in the endzone, which is one of the more full areas of the Dome.

For the second straight week, almost all of the concession stands in the entire end-zone area of the third level were completely closed the whole game. The craft beer stand was open and there was one other stand open selling nachos, popcorn, candy, soda and labatt. Heading back to my seat as the second half was starting, there was a line of at least 30 people waiting at this stand. Ridiculous!

In the Western Michigan game, that stand closed after halftime, meaning that I had to walk half way around the Dome to get some popcorn and a soda. And when I got to that stand, only one window was open and the rest had the steel curtains pulled down. It was the third quarter still! What is going on there???

I say you lease various stands out to local fare.
tullys tenders
Dino bbq
WEGMANS sub shop
Hoffman’s/gianelli stand
Love the pizza fritte idea

Dibellas

Getting closer but I’m not sure they are there
Getting closer implies that they have a prioritized wish list. As in we raise $50M you get A, B, C on the list. Raise $100M you get D, E, F. So it sounds like they are getting closer to the minimum fundraising threshold or else they would already be talking about some of those items in more definite terms. At least that’s how I read it.

I say you lease various stands out to local fare.
tullys tenders
Dino bbq
WEGMANS sub shop
Hoffman’s/gianelli stand
Love the pizza fritte idea
This. Really hope they start looking for local vendors who crank out a good product and know how to keep the lines moving. Plenty of great local food. The pizza fritte efficiency alone would make a killing. But I fear all the spilled cinnamon sugar on the steps will lead to some slips and falls.

Getting closer implies that they have a prioritized wish list. As in we raise $50M you get A, B, C on the list. Raise $100M you get D, E, F. So it sounds like they are getting closer to the minimum fundraising threshold or else they would already be talking about some of those items in more definite terms. At least that’s how I read it.
Exactly which is why I don't understand the comments that "this is outlined in Phase 2". We don't even know there will be a phase 2 and what scope it will be. It' SU Athletics - until I see it being done I assume it won't get done.

after our tailgate, i get my granddaughter water and popcorn when we go in, water and m&ms just before halftime. poddy breaks whenever she needs one ! :) we already ate real food before the game.

Are people not paying attention? Upgrading the concessions has been discussed in just about every interview about the renovations. Roof, video and sound in phase 1, concourse and concessions and other mods in phase 2.

I am paying attention. I just finished reading Sala's interview with the Post-Standard. I don't care about the food, I care about the experience being improved. Installing new equipment and modernizing shouldn't take until 2023. That in itself can be implemented before the next football season. Have one line for cash only and one for credit/debit like most places have now. That's not asking for too much.

EDIT: This is a problem everywhere, so its not just a Dome thing. At Citi Field, you are guaranteed to miss up to two innings of the game if you go during.

This. Really hope they start looking for local vendors who crank out a good product and know how to keep the lines moving. Plenty of great local food. The pizza fritte efficiency alone would make a killing. But I fear all the spilled cinnamon sugar on the steps will lead to some slips and falls.
Leasing the space washes SUs hands of it. The lease holder orders, staffs, and benefits.

What have you thought was a given?

I didnt realize that ALL of

seating
concourse widening
archbold connection
movable center score display

were still highly TBD. I thought there was at least a firm plan for one or 2 of those even if the exact timing wasnt firm. Seems like all 4 of those could absolutely still be hard no's.

Which at the end of the day is fine. Its not a huge deal, my expectations were clearly misaligned.

As an aside, if you ever want to see seating "improvements" done wrong, look at the disaster that the Bruins made TD Garden into. We are talking 4 inches of leg room in some sections.

Last edited:
Leasing the space washes SUs hands of it. The lease holder orders, staffs, and benefits.

If you're implying the lease "washes SU's hands of it" from liability (slip & fall from sugar on the floor, etc.) this wouldn't be absolute. Even if SU maintains a hold-harmless/indemnity contract with the lessee (as no doubt they will) SU owns the premises. As an owner of the premises, SU would have exposure, especially if the sugar was on the steps, common areas, etc. Since it would be reasonable to suspect sugar will fall off, SU has to use reasonable/ordinary care in making sure the premises is safe, i.e., periodic floor sweeps/checks, etc. Now, exposure doesn't mean they'd be found legally liable in an related personal injury claim as solid defenses can be argued relative to actual and/or constructive notice, claimant's own culpability, etc.

In regards to benefits, SU will certainly share in same with a typical percentage/royalty fee.

The what? Did you say cinnamon? There is no cinnamon in a pizza fritte! Shame on you.....