Canada (game 1) Thoughts | Syracusefan.com

Canada (game 1) Thoughts

General20

Basketball Maven
Alright, lets do this.

The question you always have to ask yourself in games like this, is, how will what I see here translate against real competition.

This game looked a lot like an exhibition game, which is a good thing because it is obviously being played a lot earlier in the year (and with a lot less practice time) than a normal exhibition game.

Did McGill look like an exhibition team (meaning a DII team)? I'd say they looked a bit worse, but, they played harder (not as concerned with running their own sets and improving as they were with playing SU tough - unless they always play like thugs).

One thing you hear all the time is how freshmen struggle to adapt to the speed of the college game. I thought all three freshmen looked exceptional in this game, especially considering how little practice time they have had . . . but the down side is, this game was played at a snails pace, slower even than a lot of high school games, so judgment needs to be reserved

Still, on face value only, I have seen a lot of very good basketball players look a lot worse in their first exhibition game than all three of our freshmen looked against McGill.

Lets examine the frosh one by one.

Ennis

Who he reminds me of: Moten

Ennis has the kind of smooth, slow, in control, game that Moten had. They don't play all that similarly, but they move very similarly. Ennis has improved tremendously since his junior year in high school, and if he is half as good as Moten was as a freshman, Syracuse is going to be in good shape this year.

How he played: Ennis is not an elite athlete, nor is he overly long, and because of that he will be the only defensive weak spot (other than possibly Coleman) on the team all year. But offensively he might very well be an improvement over MCW. He went the whole game without making a glaring mistake . . .when do you ever see a freshman do that in their first ever game? He looked very good.

Patterson

Who he reminds me of: Mike Hopkins

You always hear that Patterson is Paul Harris with a jump shot, and the two do look a lot alike, but there is almost no basketball similarity. Patterson is not nearly the athlete Paul Harris was, but he can already handle the ball and shoot the ball better than Paul ever could. Harris was a forward in the body of a guard. Patterson is a guard all the way, and he is much smaller than Paul Harris both in height and stature. Patterson is going to be able to stretch the D and hit some 3's. He is going to do some ball handling, but not a ton. He is going to hustle his butt off and be a general pain in the neck to opposing teams. Does that not sound like Mike Hopkins?

How he played: Patterson played much better than I expected. He made mistakes, sure, but compare him to any freshman other than Ennis and he comes away looking pretty good. Overall he was great on D, and a little lost on O. He is quicker and shorter than I was expecting. He doesn't look 6'3, which is how tall I thought he was . . . good thing he has long arms. I came away excited about Patterson and wanting to see more of him.

Johnson

Who he reminds me of: Southerland

Johnson is not the athlete that Southerland is, and he does not have the physical presence that Southerland did, but, he is a very athletic 6'8 forward who is going to be able to hit a lot of 3's and bring a lot of what Southerland brought to the table. The biggest difference here is, Johnson is going to have a much better handle.

How he played: Johnson played the worst of the three freshman, but that is not an insult. All three played well. Johnson made a lot of nice hustle plays both on the O boards and on D. On the bad side, he looked terrible every time he took the ball to the basket (getting blocked a few times) and he missed a few jumpers.

Freshmen, of course, are not the only people you want to watch in a game like this. You also want to watch the sophomores closely to see if anybody made the vaunted "Fab Melo jump."

Coleman

Remember last year when Coleman got blocked a lot by players who were athletically inferior to him? Well in this game Coleman got blocked a lot by players who were athletically inferior to those athletically inferior guys who were blocking him last year. Not a good sign at all. He also played terrible defense an got dominated on the boards.

One mitigating factor is that McGill's very small bigs were extremely physical to the point of being dirty and any retaliation immediately resulted in a whistle for the SU player. All of SU's bigs struggled tonight, and historically most bigs struggle in similar situations. In the next game Coleman will be going up against a 6'11 player who I'm assuming will be a stiff. If Coleman does not look better in that game I will be very disappointed. Pretty frustrating night if you were hoping (as I was) for Coleman to look a lot better than he did last year.

Cooney

He looked exactly the same as last year. He did a lot of good things but missed a TON of shots. The first being an extremely ugly air ball. Towards the end he did hit back to back 3's.

The mitigating factor here is, its way too early to make any kind of judgment, though it was a frustrating night if you were hoping to see improvement from last year.

Grant

He basically dunked over the whole McGill team over and over until they decided to undercut him. Then Grant went to the line a lot because he was always getting undercut. McGill is a team of short, slow, white guys who get good grades and can probably solve complex differential equations. Jeremi Grant has the best height+wingspan+vertical leap combination we have seen since Hakeem Warrick. You don't need a degree in Mathmatics from McGill to be able to do the math here. Grant was dominant.

The mitigating factor here is, we don't yet know what he can do against opposition he can't simply jump over. The early returns are positive though. Only Grant and Fair looked like men playing against boys.

Onto some big picture stuff.

The biggest thing that stood out to me in this game was versatility. Gbinije and Johnson played both the top of the zone and the wing. Patterson, Cooney, and Gbinije all played both on and off the ball. Coleman and Christmas played both on the wing and at center. Fair, Grant, Johnson, and Roberson (when he comes) will all be completely interchangeable as forwards.

Everybody but Ennis has enormous size or length or both. Everybody has a lot of skill and can do multiple things.

I got into a discussion a while back on the recruiting forum about how it seems like Boeheim is no longer recruiting as much towards specific positions, but is now just recruiting size, length, and skill, and letting that skill loose to do what it does (more towards what is trending in the NBA, and away from traditional small point guards, big slow centers, and forwards who are in the middle.). You could see the fruits of this philosophy change very clearly in the game tonight.

It hit me that SU now has three shooting guards in Cooney, Gbinije, and Patterson who are all either freshmen or sophomores, and that none of them is likely to leave early for the NBA. To me this means one of them is going not going to play any meaningful minutes in his career. I will be watching all three carefully to see who ends up standing when the music stops. This is not a battle that will be decided this year. We shouldn't know who the winners and losers are until close to the end of next year, but it will be something fun to keep an eye on.

Small stupid stuff.

Coleman did the opening jump even though Rak was on the court. What's up with that?

Cooney got the start over Gbinije . . . Gbinije played better.

I'll fix it for you:
the gaseous presence that Southerland did.

uhh what?

Yeah -- I was wondering what that meant.

I'm guessing he wasn't showing the length to get into passing lanes that way that Dirty did his senior year...???

Yeah -- I was wondering what that meant.

I'm guessing he wasn't showing the length to get into passing lanes that way that Dirty did his senior year...???

Dirty could rebound on occasion, especially his senior year. I'm guessing that Johnson has a long way to go in that respect. That was my big concern for him coming into the season. We know he did his best to bulk up, but he's a young freshman compared to the others, and his legs are still like toothpicks. He's talented, but he's going to need some time.

uhh what?

Johnson is going to get pushed around a lot right now. Southerland might not be Karl Malone, but he didn't have that problem (at least not in the years he earned playing time).

Johnson is going to get pushed around a lot right now. Southerland might not be Karl Malone, but he didn't have that problem (at least not in the years he earned playing time).
Just a silly/stretch comparison. I would never use Southerland as an example/comparison for "physical presence".

Just a silly/stretch comparison. I would never use Southerland as an example/comparison for "physical presence".
Compared to BJ, Southerland looks like Malone.

bj is already better than james. you get stronger in the weight room and by maturing. he's first round in 3 years

bj is already better than james. you get stronger in the weight room and by maturing. he's first round in 3 years
I certainly don't disagree with that. Just pointing out the physical difference right now. BJ appears to have more tools than Southerland ever will have.

yeah, B.J.'s game looks a lot further along than Southerland's did as a freshman. It took Southerland a couple years until he had developed his game enough beyond his 3 point shooting to get to play meaningful minutes. I think B.J. will get there a lot sooner.

Have you seen southerland before?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
If you don't think Southerland is larger physically than BJ you need your glasses fixed.

If you don't think Southerland is larger physically than BJ you need your glasses fixed.
He is probably bigger because you know he is a 23 year old grown ass man and BJ is a baby faced 17 year old

Last year Southerland was still a skinny/slender guy who got pushed around

PS: I guess my next question should be: Have you seen Karl Malone before?

He is probably bigger because you know he is a 23 year old grown ass man and BJ is a baby faced 17 year old

OK lets quit the snarky conversation. I was simply saying that todays BJ is not as physically built as James in agreement with General20's OP. "Johnson is not the athlete that Southerland is, and he does not have the physical presence that Southerland did" I wasn't trying to make any other comparison. James was not anywhere as skinny/slender last year as BJ is this year.
As for Karl Malone, I saw him for the first time in the Dome when his team played here in the 80's and many times since.

I dont remember Southerland getting pushed around much at all last year. Not sure what you were watching, he was an excellent defensive forward.

Johnson has a long way to go before he plays D like Southerland did. This is to be expected, Johnson is still really young. But as a comparison, I think a less athletic weaker Southerland, with a better handle is about as accurate as you are going to get for the moment. I am not insinuating that Johnson won't improve. I think he will and I think he will be a valuable player for Syracuse down the line.

Well, he did average over 5 rebounds a game in 29 minutes of play last year, and he blocked almost a shot a game over the last 2 years. That's not bad.

Well, he did average over 5 rebounds a game in 29 minutes of play last year, and he blocked almost a shot a game over the last 2 years. That's not bad.
MCW averaged 5 rpg is he a "physical presence"?

Bj can be as athletic as southerland. Like in highschool he was a tentative player lastnight. Give him time to find his second gear, to come out of his shy shell, and to adjust to the speed level of the college game. His shot looked flat shooting off the dribble but I am sure it will come.

He has a nice verticle off a run but probably not as good off a standstill as southerland. I don't remember southerland doing much more then bombing outside shots as a freshmen sophmore either.

BJ blocked a shot from behind challenged some rebounds in the paint, Run in and almost dunked a high flying putback, and saw the kickout pass on 1-2 of his drives well..

Bj can be as athletic as southerland. Like in highschool he was a tentative player lastnight. Give him time to find his second gear, to come out of his shy shell, and to adjust to the speed level of the college game. His shot looked flat shooting off the dribble but I am sure it will come.

He has a nice verticle off a run but probably not as good off a standstill as southerland. I don't remember southerland doing much more then bombing outside shots as a freshmen sophmore either.

BJ blocked a shot from behind challenged some rebounds in the paint, Run in and almost dunked a high flying putback, and saw the kickout pass on 1-2 of his drives well..

I don't see BJ as the explosive leaper that James is. He slashes to the rim but he's not a great finisher yet. Still not quite as strong as he needs to be. But it'll come in time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom