Can't wait for a playoff | Syracusefan.com

Can't wait for a playoff

And yet OU would not have been invited but Bama would have. This is why I firmly believe that you should win your conference to be able to play, no mulligans.

16 Teams

Agreed. Even 8 teams would be too few, in my opinion [see: Oklahoma and CFU]. And with an 8 team field, if people think that the polls are political now...

Last edited:
Guys...we have 4 teams and a "committee". If you don't think this will be political and agenda based I have a very nice bridge to sell you all.

And yet OU would not have been invited but Bama would have. This is why I firmly believe that you should win your conference to be able to play, no mulligans.

Um Oklahoma didn't win theirs either ... Baylor did and they got beat.

Um Oklahoma didn't win theirs either ... Baylor did and they got beat.

I know and that's my point. Bama lost to a team that didn't even win their conference so who is to say why they were so incredible and deserved a mulligan while others don't? Make the regular season worth something and win your conference. Hell, Bama hasn't even won their own division 2 out of the last 3 years.

I know and that's my point. Bama lost to a team that didn't even win their conference so who is to say why they were so incredible and deserved a mulligan while others don't? Make the regular season worth something and win your conference. Hell, Bama hasn't even won their own division 2 out of the last 3 years.

Problem is there are a lot of teams that get shafted based on records and unbalanced schedules.

Problem is there are a lot of teams that get shafted based on records and unbalanced schedules.

Very true. 4 is going to be a tough number as FSU, Auburn, Baylor, Stanford, Michigan St and UCF all deserved a shot. Obviously FSU but the rest all earned their shot. If Bama played USCe or Missouri and maybe even Georgia with Murrey I'd think differently about them but that mulligan as well left me a little unimpressed. That's the thing about not winning your division, you skip playing the other divisions champ and can sit and watch a possible opening come up. That's what drives me crazy about Bama backing their way in and another reason why I want the champions first and foremost.

i will be the continued contrarian on this. i love the way bowls are set up now. the best teams pretty much always get in the championship game. the other bcs games are super fun. people are still going to argue and whine. i can pick out a million things in sports that annoy me but bowl season or how the college football season works aren't among them.

i will be the continued contrarian on this. i love the way bowls are set up now. the best teams pretty much always get in the championship game. the other bcs games are super fun. people are still going to argue and whine. i can pick out a million things in sports that annoy me but bowl season or how the college football season works aren't among them.

Go hug a tree! :)

I like having the bowls as well and if it were up to me I'd use the RPI rating and match up all the teams that didn't make the playoffs. If it was 1-8 in the playoffs then 9 vs 10 and 11 vs 12 and so on. This way you don't get stuck going to the same bowls over and over again because of all the tie in's.

OT but could anyone believe #27 on bama was a freshman? He was bigger and faster than Jerome Smith. I wish we could get that kind of player

OT but could anyone believe #27 on bama was a freshman? He was bigger and faster than Jerome Smith. I wish we could get that kind of player

Dude looked like he should have been on FSU the way he played.

Go hug a tree! :)

I like having the bowls as well and if it were up to me I'd use the RPI rating and match up all the teams that didn't make the playoffs. If it was 1-8 in the playoffs then 9 vs 10 and 11 vs 12 and so on. This way you don't get stuck going to the same bowls over and over again because of all the tie in's.
unfortunately, you lose the regionalization in this scenario which will make it trickier for sponsors and attendance. If I'm running a game in Florida, I want an ACC/SEC team there. Under your scenario, it could be Pac-10 vs. Mountain West in the Russell Bowl.

That's actually an underrated potential hiccup on the tourney next year. You're asking die-hard fans to travel three times in a month (conf championship, semis, finals)...and to plan that finals trip as a contingency. A single bowl game trip can be planned in advance, but this is a riskier proposition. And it's not analogous to basketball where tickets are split four ways and the 16/8 week are often smaller venues. Asking a team to fill 50K tickets three times in a month sounds really dicey...at least long term after some novelty next year.

unfortunately, you lose the regionalization in this scenario which will make it trickier for sponsors and attendance. If I'm running a game in Florida, I want an ACC/SEC team there. Under your scenario, it could be Pac-10 vs. Mountain West in the Russell Bowl.

That's actually an underrated potential hiccup on the tourney next year. You're asking die-hard fans to travel three times in a month (conf championship, semis, finals)...and to plan that finals trip as a contingency. A single bowl game trip can be planned in advance, but this is a riskier proposition. And it's not analogous to basketball where tickets are split four ways and the 16/8 week are often smaller venues. Asking a team to fill 50K tickets three times in a month sounds really dicey...at least long term after some novelty next year.

Play conference championship games on-campus.

Very true indeed and this is where it can get tricky.

Regarding my bowl idea the NCAA could pool the bowls as one and try to match up the teams involved to the closest area much like the NCAA basketball tournament. The higher seed gets to have it closer to their place and since there are no bowl tie in's like in basketball and the money is the same.

Play conference championship games on-campus.
That's what it should be for most. It won't bed that way in the SEC. The game at the Georgia Dome is exciting and packed. No need to change a good thing.

16 teams, but start the playoffs during Conference Championship week. Qualifiers are:
Division winners of the Power 5 play each other in their traditional conference championship games, either at a home field or site chosen by the conference (currently 8 teams, could go to 10 if the B12 ever adds teams)
Eight at-larges play at home site of higher seeded team (would drop to 6 teams if the B12 holds a championship game)

The selection committee then re-seeds the winners of those games to make brackets starting at the quarterfinals.

Formally incorporating the conference championships into the playoff structure will allow the stronger conferences to technically have more teams in the playoffs without having to add a championship game loser later on. Will also allow strong 2nd place teams (e.g., Alabama/Auburn loser) to get an at-large, and keep a couple spots open for independents &/or mid-major conference champions (they'll need to hold their championship games a week earlier or cancel them altogether).

Going by BCS rankings at the end of the regular season, this year's playoffs would've been:
Conference Championship Game Qualifiers:
Mich. St. vs. Ohio St.
FSU vs. Duke
Missou vs. Auburn
Stanford vs. Arizona St.

At-Large Qualifiers:
LSU @ Alabama
Northern Illinois* @ Ok St.
Clemson @ South Carolina
Oregon @ Baylor

* NIU later lost the MAC championship, which, if held, would've been earlier under this scenario. So one of the next four teams left out (UCF, Oklahoma, UCLA, Louisville) would likely get this spot.

Using winners of actual games between these teams (either the championship games or earlier in the season), and the final BCS rankings, the quarterfinal brackets would be:

Ok St. @ FSU
Stanford @ Mich St.

South Carolina @ Auburn
Baylor @ Alabama

16 teams, but start the playoffs during Conference Championship week. Qualifiers are:
Division winners of the Power 5 play each other in their traditional conference championship games, either at a home field or site chosen by the conference (currently 8 teams, could go to 10 if the B12 ever adds teams)
Eight at-larges play at home site of higher seeded team (would drop to 6 teams if the B12 holds a championship game)

The selection committee then re-seeds the winners of those games to make brackets starting at the quarterfinals.

Formally incorporating the conference championships into the playoff structure will allow the stronger conferences to technically have more teams in the playoffs without having to add a championship game loser later on. Will also allow strong 2nd place teams (e.g., Alabama/Auburn loser) to get an at-large, and keep a couple spots open for independents &/or mid-major conference champions (they'll need to hold their championship games a week earlier or cancel them altogether).

Going by BCS rankings at the end of the regular season, this year's playoffs would've been:
Conference Championship Game Qualifiers:
Mich. St. vs. Ohio St.
FSU vs. Duke
Missou vs. Auburn
Stanford vs. Arizona St.

At-Large Qualifiers:
LSU @ Alabama
Northern Illinois* @ Ok St.
Clemson @ South Carolina
Oregon @ Baylor

* NIU later lost the MAC championship, which, if held, would've been earlier under this scenario. So one of the next four teams left out (UCF, Oklahoma, UCLA, Louisville) would likely get this spot.

Using winners of actual games between these teams (either the championship games or earlier in the season), and the final BCS rankings, the quarterfinal brackets would be:

Ok St. @ FSU
Stanford @ Mich St.

South Carolina @ Auburn
Baylor @ Alabama
youve entered the correct battle, but picking the wrong fight.

this is why the bevo needs to have a champ game, the winner of the big 5 gets an auto-bid to the E8. then everyone else is up for 3 wildcard spots.

if you get spanked and exposed in a champ game and some idle team in your own conf jumps ya, too bad.

life isnt fair.

the cards are 10-6 and sitting at home while a 8-7-1 packer team gets in AND...has a home game. nobody wants to go, but thats a different story.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom