Carey, Autry & Griff headed to Greece | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Carey, Autry & Griff headed to Greece

Correct -- turned it on just in time to see him convert a couple of driving layups. Kid is fast in transition.
Two for two from the 3 point circle as well. And a nice dime. Still looks very shooting oriented running the offense...

He had some sloppy turnovers in the first quarter, just dribbled the ball away and tossed the ball out of bounds. But he settled down and has played better since.
To me, there is no doubt Jalen has the physical ability to be an outstanding point guard.

He is a great athlete with tremendous quickness, appears to have great hands on defense, passes it well and can shoot well from the perimeter. Finishes on the break nicely, is very good beating his man off the dribble and would be deadly in a press defense.

Can he relax and shoot well in game situations? No doubt in my mind.

Can he play defense in the 2-3? Absolutely. He should roll up great numbers for steals for us. Can cover more ground possibly than any player we have ever had up top.

Can he put aside his scorer's mentality and run a half court offense? Can he find the open man and make consistent good decisions with the ball in his hands?

These are the key questions.

He needs to be patient and prudent. He needs to be a coach on the floor. If he can do this, he will start and have a great career here. If not, he will limit himself to playing mostly shooting guard, where competition for playing time will be fierce.

IMHO, I think this is a huge deal for the coming season. It could well drive whether the team makes the NCAA tournament or not.

If anyone who may have watched has the time to do a small write up of what you saw out of JC, the competition level and maybe even how Red did as a head coach, im sure the thirsty board denizens would be happy to drink anything you can spare

If anyone who may have watched has the time to do a small write up of what you saw out of JC, the competition level and maybe even how Red did as a head coach, im sure the thirsty board denizens would be happy to drink anything you can spare
View attachment 165638
I watched maybe 15 minutes of the game. There was no announcer. There was one camera, hand held, at mid court. There was no indication of the score, no graphics, so there were as bare bones with production as you can get.

But the picture quality was good, there was no delay and for a hand held camera, the person who filmed the game held the camera pretty steady and kept the action framed well.

The competition level looked okay. I didn't recognize anyone except Jalen. The Greek team appeared bigger, and certainly more physically mature. They didn't shoot well and looked intimidated by the US bigs. Lots of blocked shots and point blank misses for the Greeks.

I would say the opponent today was the equivalent of a D3 college team like LeMoyne.

I have no idea what the final score was but I bet the USA team outscored them something like 25-8 while I was watching.

Jalen had 8 points (a pull up jumper and two 3s) while I was watching and had a nice dime to a big as well. He appeared to be the best player on the court by a fairly large margin.

Red looked comfortable on the sideline. Walked around some, looked calm and relaxed. No arguments or gesturing to the officials. Business-like. Thought he did a good job, looked like the kids respected him.

For what it is worth, he had them playing man to man the whole time I watched. Pretty good man to man too. They extended it and pressured the ball to good effect, though they were beat with simple dribble moves quite a bit. The Greeks couldn't make easy shots inside 5 feet though and shot badly from the 3 point circle.

It looked like Jalen was the only PG on the team and things didn't run nearly as well when he was out.

I watched maybe 15 minutes of the game. There was no announcer. There was one camera, hand held, at mid court. There was no indication of the score, no graphics, so there were as bare bones with production as you can get.

But the picture quality was good, there was no delay and for a hand held camera, the person who filmed the game held the camera pretty steady and kept the action framed well.

The competition level looked okay. I didn't recognize anyone except Jalen. The Greek team appeared bigger, and certainly more physically mature. They didn't shoot well and looked intimidated by the US bigs. Lots of blocked shots and point blank misses for the Greeks.

I would say the opponent today was the equivalent of a D3 college team like LeMoyne.

I have no idea what the final score was but I bet the USA team outscored them something like 25-8 while I was watching.

Jalen had 8 points (a pull up jumper and two 3s) while I was watching and had a nice dime to a big as well. He appeared to be the best player on the court by a fairly large margin.

Red looked comfortable on the sideline. Walked around some, looked calm and relaxed. No arguments or gesturing to the officials. Business-like. Thought he did a good job, looked like the kids respected him.

For what it is worth, he had them playing man to man the whole time I watched. Pretty good man to man too. They extended it and pressured the ball to good effect, though they were beat with simple dribble moves quite a bit. The Greeks couldn't make easy shots inside 5 feet though and shot badly from the 3 point circle.

It looked like Jalen was the only PG on the team and things didn't run nearly as well when he was out.

Wow, fantastic recap. Thank you very much for spending the time to create this write up. I, and most likely many others, greatly appreciate it.

He was good. Like Tomcat said, his first quarter was a little shaky, although he had a nice drive, but just let a couple guys get right by him on defense. Second quarter, you could tell Carey benefitted from getting feedback from the coaches and watching the play. He was more decisive, more attentive on defense, more focused overall. He did hit a couple threes.

His shot generally looked good, if a bit measured and deliberate. The most important thing, to me, was that he wasn't rushing. He slowed himself down a bit, and it really helped his game. But he was still quick to the rim, made a nice alley oop pass. Very promising start to the trip. Well done, Jalen!

(That kid from North Carolina, KJ Smith, looked pretty good, too. Practicing against him on this trip is going to be helpful to Jalen, too.)

I think that I read that Archibald is from Louisiana Tech. He looked good, as did #11, a 6-7 forward from Western CT. Those guys impressed me.

View attachment 165638

I watched the whole game. Tomcat gave a good partial report. The team did also play a bit of zone, maybe 5 minutes. Did OK. Carey's handle looked good. He looked calm. He started the 1st and 2nd quarters, then came off the bench in the 2nd half while a kid from North Carolina, KJ Smith, started those quarters. Smith was a little more sure on the ball and a bit more aggressive driving than Carey. Smith is also a good defender.

Carey had a few defensive lapses, when he just kind of lost focus. Boeheim is going to chew him out good in some of the early games, but he's going to run the show this year, in all likelihood. So this time he'll get the chance to play through his mistakes, which makes a big difference to a kid's development.

Carey threw a nice alley-oop to a weakside forward for a dunk to start the 2nd quarter. He handled some occasional pressure from the Greek players well. He had one or two turnovers, but more from a careless pass than because of him not being able to handle pressure defense.

Carey made a couple threes - one from the left corner and one from the left wing. One went in clean and one took a couple soft bounces before falling through. He missed one or two other threes. He drove the lane and got to the basket a couple times. He made a nice pull-up jumper from the foul line. He usually finished at the rim, and I think only missed one at the end of a drive. He had one fast break where he took it all the way, and another where he kicked out to a wing shooter.

He moved the ball well and even fed the post a couple times. All the guards made an effort to do so, in fact. That was clearly a point of emphasis in the coaching by Autry and Griffin (as you would expect from PGs!).

So, about the Greek team. Tomcat compared them to maybe LeMoyne in talent. I wouldn't necessarily disagree, but the one difference is that these were men in their 20s for the most part, a few of whom were bulky and physical, especially on the perimeter. It will be a good experience for these kids just to be playing against grown men, who are well schooled in the crafty "dark arts" of European style hoops.

Last edited:
Figured I'd share this here...some offseason work right before he left for Greece.

He has clearly spent a lot of time in the gym since the season ended. His shoulders and upper body look a lot more filled out and physically mature. That's going to help him finish through contact better this year. Things are looking up. Very promising start to the summer!

I watched the whole game. Tomcat gave a good partial report. The team did also play a bit of zone, maybe 5 minutes. Did OK. Carey's handle looked good. He looked calm. He started the 1st and 2nd quarters, then came off the bench in the 2nd half while a kid from North Carolina, KJ Smith, started those quarters. Smith was a little more sure on the ball and a bit more aggressive driving than Carey. Smith is also a good defender.

Carey had a few defensive lapses, when he just kind of lost focus. Boeheim is going to chew him out good in some of the early games, but he's going to run the show this year, in all likelihood. So this time he'll get the chance to play through his mistakes, which makes a big difference to a kid's development.

Carey threw a nice alley-oop to a weakside forward for a dunk to start the 2nd quarter. He handled some occasional pressure from the Greek players well. He had one or two turnovers, but more from a careless pass than because of him not being able to handle pressure defense.

Carey made a couple threes - one from the left corner and one from the left wing. One went in clean and one took a couple soft bounces before falling through. He missed one or two other threes. He drove the lane and got to the basket a couple times. He made a nice pull-up jumper from the foul line. He usually finished at the rim, and I think only missed one at the end of a drive. He had one fast break where he took it all the way, and another where he kicked out to a wing shooter.

He moved the ball well and even fed the post a couple times. All the guards made an effort to do so, in fact. That was clearly a point of emphasis in the coaching by Autry and Griffin (as you would expect from PGs!).

So, about the Greek team. Tomcat compared them to maybe LeMoyne in talent. I wouldn't necessarily disagree, but the one difference is that these were men in their 20s for the most part, a few of whom were bulky and physical, especially on the perimeter. It will be a good experience for these kids just to be playing against grown men, who are well schooled in the crafty "dark arts" of European style hoops.

Amazing detail! I couldn't ask for much more. You sir are a scholar and a gentleman, thank you very much for your additions and observations!

No game in Greece yesterday? I thought article said games on June 12,13 and 14.

I thought article said games on June 12,13 and 14.

I believe in a recent Syracuse.com article it stated that they were off yesterday, but play today.

I know it's tough to judge these things, but Jalen is really going to have to step his game up if we are going to be any good next year.

This summer is going to help him a lot. I feel pretty confident. Boeheim has a pretty good track record when it comes to breaking in young PGs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom