Carey needs to start | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Carey needs to start

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need Carey with Howard Washington’s composure. I love Washington. He is a true point guard doing his job. Not trying to be Hollywood but just solid play.

Carey should have been baptized by fire each game and given a shot at adjusting. Too late now.
Boeheims belief in Frank developing into pg not panning out
Gotta be Tyus

like i said . some frosh are allowed to play thru mistakes. some aren't. 1 minute. really ?

And managed to turn the ball over in that minute.

10 turnovers in 47 minutes since the new calendar year.

Play him more? Really?
Be fair, he did have a steal to get that TO.

titans.gif

I do not agree that Carey should start, but Carey needs more playing time. He is in a similar boat as freshman/sophomore Frank where JB would pull him after a mistake. Frank improved last year because there was no one to really put in when he messed up, and he got some of the head case out of his head. I think Carey does have a lot to learn and a high ceiling, but he is not going to get there with all the pressure he is putting on his self. I think Carey would bounce back and play better if JB did not pull him immediately after a mistake and keep him out of the remainder of the game. Carey showed what he could do in the Garden when JB had no one else to put in

start Frank on the bench next game as a wake up call for his play against FSU

start Battle and Hughes in the backcourt, Marek, PC and OB up front

got league play minute numbers . still close ? we know how buddy shot pre conference. but he still got minutes.

What Carey does have is the ability to beat his man off of screens, picks, or in iso ball which is desperately missing from this teams skillset (JB even discusses this as a issue the team has in the FSU post game presser). Unfortunately Carey is not ready to get large minutes at this point in his career, I think that will change a good deal next year.

got league play minute numbers . still close ? cuz i got buddy's shooting #'s pre conference.
Of course they're not close, but then again Buddy has been one of the team's most efficient players in ACC games if you look at advanced metrics. He has earned his court time on merit, just as Jalen has earned his recent seat next to JB on merit.

What Carey does have is the ability to beat his man off of screens, picks, or in iso ball which is desperately missing from this teams skillset (JB even discusses this as a issue the team has in the FSU post game presser). Unfortunately Carey is not ready to get large minutes at this point in his career, I think that will change a good deal next year.

The only way that skill is a valuable one is if you don't get your pocket picked/dribble off your foot while doing this. Right now, he does not have even a semblance of that ability. His handle is awful, and it has been this entire season.

you can't judge a player based on 1 minute acc bursts. what does he do given say 26 minutes run ?

like i said . some frosh are allowed to play thru mistakes. some aren't. 1 minute. really ?
Yes really - he continues to do this very time he goes out there. Can you comprehend him sitting when he does this? Play through it? That's a term used by those who fantasize what someone might do not looking that they actually do. Buddy didn't play well last night but he did very well the last 4 games he was in. If Carey did any of that his last 4 games he would have more playing time. But he has not. He is a turnover machine at this point in his very young career.

he played 1 minute. should we have benched buddy after his horrendous shooting start ? i mean terrible!
no of course not. he's a frosh and needed minutes to improve. well so does jalen. bigger talent imo.

you can't judge a player based on 1 minute acc bursts. what does he do given say 26 minutes run ?

Well wouldn't you know it, we already have the data that you are looking for readily available. Let's take a look at the last five games that Carey played 15+ mins (mostly against much lesser competition than ACC play):

St. Bonaventure: 19 minutes, 4 points on 1-5 shooting with 3 assists and 2 turnovers.
Georgetown: 23 minutes, 3 points on 1-4 shooting with 4 assists and 3 turnovers
Northeastern: 17 minutes, 4 points on 2-5 shooting with 3 assists and 1 turnover
Ohio State: 15 minutes, 4 points on 0-1 shooting with 3 assists and 1 turnover
Colgate: 18 minutes, 0 points on 0-4 shooting with 1 assist a 0 turnovers

Averaged out, that's 18.4 minutes per game, 3 points per game, 21% from the field, 2.8 assists per game and 1.4 turnovers per game. I'd love to know what, in that larger sample size than what he's been getting lately, screams that this guy needs to be getting more minutes.

And managed to turn the ball over in that minute.

10 turnovers in 47 minutes since the new calendar year.

Play him more? Really?

You have to admit he's gotten very limited run in the last half dozen games. Maybe that's the right move, I don't know. But it's hard to pan his performance in these cameo roles. He knows if he makes one false move that horn is going to sound. That's tough for anybody to thrive in that type of setting.

Last edited:
he played 1 minute. should we have benched buddy after his horrendous shooting start ? i mean terrible!
And in his brief time he had an atrocious turnover. Buddy is a shooter who has been hot the last 4 games. Carey has turned the ball over constantly the his last 4 games. What part of this is hard to understand? Do you play the person who has had several bad outings in a row or the one who has had several good games in a row? And you want to start the one who has shown to be not ready at all????

Frank has had a few wake up calls lately the most recent being last night when he sat for a chunk of the first half. We saw how he responded when he came out to start the 2H.

He's had opportunities in ACC play and it hasn't worked out for him so far. Buddy, on the other hand, has made the best of his opportunities and has performed at a very high level.

2019-02-06 15.44.56.png

st bonaventure was dec 29 th. got buddy's stat's in that stretch ?

1 minute ain't opportunity. especially after a few dnp's. do i really need to explain this ? it's called game flow.

Hughes has not played 1 minute at the top of the zone, to my knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom