Carey | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Carey

jay bilas spent the entire first 5 minutes raving about jones defense and then had to rip up his script .

He has no control over it. Gets his pocket picked, dribbles off his foot or gets stripped on drives at least once and usually multiple times per game, mostly in limited action. I mean, just look at that video above when he gets his pocket picked - he's dribbling the ball well above his hip with pressure right on him.

Eh. How about the drives that worked out well for him? There's more tape of Carey showing exceptional ballhandling than poor ballhandling. From what I've seen, at least.

Edit: Watched the video. That first strip at 1:29 was not because of a high dribble. That was a young guard not being physical enough with a top notch defender.

I think Goodine is the PG next year and Carey plays off the ball the way things look to me.

I'd guess Carey, based on size and experience with the offense. Idk Goodine's playing style well enough. If he's a distributor, sure. But I'm assuming neither is a pass-first guy.

Carey dribbles a little high and too far from his body...….you can get away with a handle like that if not pressured ,under pressure...no

I'd guess Carey, based on size and experience with the offense. Idk Goodine's playing style well enough. If he's a distributor, sure. But I'm assuming neither is a pass-first guy.

He played the point in AAU. Carey did not.

Eh. How about the drives that worked out well for him? There's more tape of Carey showing exceptional ballhandling than poor ballhandling. From what I've seen, at least.

Edit: Watched the video. That first strip at 1:29 was not because of a high dribble. That was a young guard not being physical enough with a top notch defender.

I pretty much completely disagree with you on this. Aside from the two games at MSG, he has been incredibly ineffective, and even in those two games, he had a combined 1 assist and 8 turnovers. I've seen far too much fumbling of the ball on his dribble to not trust him to be able to consistently be effective with it. He needs to tighten it up and get stronger. Hopefully something he can accomplish in the offseason.

I believe Carey was forced to play PG his senior year in HS out of necessity due to an injury. But he’s more naturally a 2

I pretty much completely disagree with you on this. Aside from the two games at MSG, he has been incredibly ineffective, and even in those two games, he had a combined 1 assist and 8 turnovers. I've seen far too much fumbling of the ball on his dribble to not trust him to be able to consistently be effective with it. He needs to tighten it up and get stronger. Hopefully something he can accomplish in the offseason.

The assists don't matter. He's a scorer, he came here to score. I don't think anybody would mistake him for a pure PG.

The turnovers are mostly 'freshman trying to do too much' turnovers. He's not batting the ball all over the court willy nilly.

Strength and experience will always help. He has the quickness and ballhandling to get to spots our recent big guards simply couldn't/can't get to. That's the measure of ballhandling for me. He's shown that he can beat ball pressure and he keeps his dribble alive in tight spots.

The assists don't matter. He's a scorer, he came here to score. I don't think anybody would mistake him for a pure PG.

The turnovers are mostly 'freshman trying to do too much' turnovers. He's not batting the ball all over the court willy nilly.

Strength and experience will always help. He has the quickness and ballhandling to get to spots our recent big guards simply couldn't/can't get to. That's the measure of ballhandling for me. He's shown that he can beat ball pressure and he keeps his dribble alive in tight spots.

Well if the assists don't matter with him and he came here to score, then unfortunately, he's not scoring either, aside from those 2 MSG games. Take those games out, and he's averaging 2.5 points in 14 mpg with a 1 to 1 assist to turnover ratio. I feel like you formed your opinion of him on the MSG games and have not been watching since. I'd agree that those games he looked great and that the turnovers were more him trying to force things than anything else. But ever since then, it's been mostly a disaster for him.

I would say at least half of his turnovers this year have been the exact opposite of trying to force the action and instead a direct result of his poor handle. He's dribble the ball off his foot driving to the basket at least a half dozen times and had his pocket picked a good handful of other times. I don't know how anyone can objectively look at his handle and think it doesn't need significant improvement. He has the quickness, which is more why he can get to spots that Frank can't. If he can get stronger and tighten the handle, then he'll be special. Right now, he's mostly lost out there.

I am pretty sure Carey didn't start the game. That was Frank who was getting undressed by Jones. Jones went out at the six minute mark.
Carey was awful last night.

we gonna try on another jaylen Carey? Ha sike. He is absolutely duke bound

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom