"Carrier" Dome Controversy... When does it hit ESPN? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

"Carrier" Dome Controversy... When does it hit ESPN?

They did pay for it (way back), but clearly the gravy train has ended. SU's done. As to the "national value", the lifeblood of any facility name flows from the site. To pay for a name at a Northeast University sports building (or to fund a dispute about one) - I would expect the buyer to have a heavy footprint in central NY and want to enhance the brand. Carrier went the other direction, and moved most of its jobs to Mexico and has its headquarters and major operations out of state. So why squabble with the site owner here - a building about to be rebuilt? The value of the name to Carrier has been minimized through it's own decisions. So as you pointed out, it will soon have a hard choice to make. SU seems to be betting that Carrier's not in it for the long-haul (again). I'd tend to agree. We'll see.
Right, they paid for it. That's why they want to keep it, if they can. It's free at this point. Of course SU is done... unless Carrier wins the fight. SU is betting they'll win the fight, but Carrier isn't just gonna just hand it off, if they think there's a chance they can win without too much investmemt.

At this point the location is meaningless. It's only exposure that matters. Mercedes didn't purchase naming rights in Atlanta because they manufacture cars in Atlanta. Their US manufacturing facility is actually in Alabama about a 30 minute drive from Alabama's campus. Based on your logic, they should have struck a deal with the University of Alabama. They didn't because having their name on an NFL stadium is more national/international exposure. Staples didn't put their name on the Staples center because they have strong local ties (they're based in Massachusetts). They did it because everytime some national talking head talks about the Lakers or Clippers, there is a chance Staples will get mentioned. Invesco Field is in Denver, Invesco is headquartered in... Atlanta.

It's convenient when you have a major local company like the Pats have with Gillette or 49ers have with Levi's but, clearly, neither the stadium owner nor corporate sponser considers is essential. That is why Carrier would love to keep their sweetheart deal, if they can pull it off and SU would like to get a modern naming rights deal with whoever will give them the best one, local or not.

Right, they paid for it. That's why they want to keep it, if they can. It's free at this point. Of course SU is done... unless Carrier wins the fight. SU is betting they'll win the fight, but Carrier isn't just gonna just hand it off, if they think there's a chance they can win without too much investmemt.

At this point the location is meaningless. It's only exposure that matters. Mercedes didn't purchase naming rights in Atlanta because they manufacture cars in Atlanta. Their US manufacturing facility is actually in Alabama about a 30 minute drive from Alabama's campus. Based on your logic, they should have struck a deal with the University of Alabama. They didn't because having their name on an NFL stadium is more national/international exposure. Staples didn't put their name on the Staples center because they have strong local ties (they're based in Massachusetts). They did it because everytime some national talking head talks about the Lakers or Clippers, there is a chance Staples will get mentioned. Invesco Field is in Denver, Invesco is headquartered in... Atlanta.

It's convenient when you have a major local company like the Pats have with Gillette or 49ers have with Levi's but, clearly, neither the stadium owner nor corporate sponser considers is essential. That is why Carrier would love to keep their sweetheart deal, if they can pull it off and SU would like to get a modern naming rights deal with whoever will give them the best one, local or not.
They paid for it (?) 40 years ago and rode the ROI like a circus pony. The gig is over. It's time for them to pull up stakes in this fight just like they did in central NY. As far as your examples, I see no connection between MB and SU. Mercedes is a german company that wants a presence in US (where is immaterial). It sells its products and advertises world-wide. The Pats are a (remotely) closer example, because they named a stadium in their base market. SU's base is central NY, and Carrier's isn't - by its own choice. Having sucked out far more value than it's put in ... time for a decision. Fighting just easts into ROI and sullies what's left of their image.

Last edited:
They paid for it (?) 40 years ago and rode the ROI like a circus pony. The gig is over. It's time for them to pull up stakes in this fight just like they did in central NY. As far as your examples, I see no connection between MB and SU. Mercedes is a german company that wants a presence in US (where is immaterial). It sells its products and advertises world-wide. The Pats are a (remotely) closer example, because they named a stadium in their base market. SU's base is central NY, and Carrier's isn't - by its own choice. Having sucked out far more value than it's put in ... time for a decision. Fighting just easts into ROI and sullies what's left of their image.
First, I agree they have ridden the agreement like a circus pony. I am not on Carrier's side. What I have been trying to explain is why they still view the current agreement as beneficial to them. If you can't understand how a company that sells their products all over the country (actually in 170 countries) thinks having their name on a building that gets mentioned nationally without having to pay for it, I don't know what else to say.

Fighting only eats into ROI if they spend a lot of money to do it and if they lose. Neither you nor I know how much they're willing to spend or how it'll turn out. I hope they decide it's not worth it for them and SU wins quickly. Obviously, Carrier does not think that's a done deal yet. With regards to image, fighting does almost nothing to hurt it. The only people that care about this are on this board and in the SU AD's office. Everyone else across the country and many in CNY don't care that they left the area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom