"Carrier" Dome Controversy... When does it hit ESPN? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

"Carrier" Dome Controversy... When does it hit ESPN?

How it's coming out - it looks as though the University is being childish.

You altered Dwight Freeney's quote? All because you're trying to get out of a deal that you signed?

Listen I want the University to be able to get out of their deal and get new naming rights because that money will be used for plenty of good things, but this is childish.
I see it nothing more than how big business is done, and we all know every aspect of big time college sports is big business.

I have no inside knowledge, but I would guess nobody involved in the original deal is at Carrier anymore. The company simply sees it as free and easy advertising at this point, so why give it up without a fight. Any objective observer knows they got way more than their money's worth at this point.

How it's coming out - it looks as though the University is being childish.

You altered Dwight Freeney's quote? All because you're trying to get out of a deal that you signed?

Listen I want the University to be able to get out of their deal and get new naming rights because that money will be used for plenty of good things, but this is childish.
Disagree. Carrier has disproportionately benefited from this deal for decades. SU is trying to move the discussion. There’s nothing “childish” about millions of dollars left on the table because Carrier refuses to budge.
I’m sure SU’s legal minds have reviewed this and decided this as a viable course to pursue. For a lot of Central NY’ers, theres no love lost w/ Carrier. If we can get out from under this burdensome obligation using this method, i say full speed ahead!

Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t the contract over this year in 2019? Once it’s done it’s done and Carrier has no say. The dome becomes a free agent so maybe I just don’t know enough about it but there is no lifetime agreement if it was a 30 year contract.

I see it nothing more than how big business is done, and we all know every aspect of big time college sports is big business.

I have no inside knowledge, but I would guess nobody involved in the original deal is at Carrier anymore. The company simply sees it as free and easy advertising at this point, so why give it up without a fight. Any objective observer knows they got way more than their money's worth at this point.
Agree about the last point, but why would a fight benefit Carrier at this stage? Consider that: 1) they got a 10-15x ROI on their gift/branding agreement with the Dome; 2) It's been 40 years; 3) the building's being renovated top to bottom; and 4) with the exception of one building, they're out of the region. GONE. The question now is, what's there to fight over? The value of their "name" around here??? Implausible. The money? That can't be true either. Not only are they not around to benefit, they were so anxious to get out that they spent $14M to demolish their buildings. A fight makes zero business or common sense for Carrier.

Last edited:
We also don't know the inter workings to the discussions between SU and Carrier.

Carrier might have told them to leave out their name - who knows.

Just don't alter quotes. That's childish and dangerous

We also don't know the inter workings to the discussions between SU and Carrier.

Carrier might have told them to leave out their name - who knows.

Just don't alter quotes. That's childish and dangerous
If you don't know the details of any discussions that may have occurred, you don't know why a quote was altered. You can't make definitive characterizations about that action. This is all legal wrangling now.

If you don't know the details of any discussions that may have occurred, you don't know why a quote was altered. You can't make definitive characterizations about that action. This is all legal wrangling now.

You can't just change quotes lol. I don't care what was discussed. Don't use it then. That's not what Freeney said, so just don't use it if you're not using the term Carrier

This shouldnt be a national story. No one outside syracuse should or does care. I barely care and im just about as big of a syracuse fan as there is. The only reason i care is it involves money for the athletic department.

Its not like we named our facility the sht dome, but in fairness, rutgers beat us to that one. Probably only thing itll win all year.

Agree about the last point, but why would a fight benefit Carrier at this stage? Consider that: 1) they got a 10-15x ROI on their gift/branding agreement with the Dome; 2) It's been 40 years; and 3) with the exception of one building, they're out of the region. GONE. The question now is, what's there to fight over? The value of their "name" around here??? Implausible. The money? That can't be true either . . . when they pulled out they spent $14M just to demolish their buildings. A fight makes zero business or common sense for Carrier.
Not gone from region.

Disagree. Carrier has disproportionately benefited from this deal for decades. SU is trying to move the discussion. There’s nothing “childish” about millions of dollars left on the table because Carrier refuses to budge.
I’m sure SU’s legal minds have reviewed this and decided this as a viable course to pursue. For a lot of Central NY’ers, theres no love lost w/ Carrier. If we can get out from under this burdensome obligation using this method, i say full speed ahead!

Totally agree.

But there definitely needs to be a couple year buffer where we call it the SU Dome or whatever until the rights can be auctioned off to the highest bidder. And I'd let Carrier bring attention to the issue not us of course.

This shouldnt be a national story. No one outside syracuse should or does care. I barely care and im just about as big of a syracuse fan as there is. The only reason i care is it involves money for the athletic department.

Agreed. I do think it’ll be an interesting side note if a new sponsor comes onboard.

You can't just change quotes lol. I don't care what was discussed. Don't use it then. That's not what Freeney said, so just don't use it if you're not using the term Carrier

Could it be that Freeney said "the Dome" and Carrier was added because of the naming rights? So taking it off was actually changing it back to it's original state? I don't know, just wondering...

Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t the contract over this year in 2019? Once it’s done it’s done and Carrier has no say. The dome becomes a free agent so maybe I just don’t know enough about it but there is no lifetime agreement if it was a 30 year contract.

My understanding is that per the contract Carrier has naming rights as long as the Dome is standing.

While in Texas this week for work I met with a money manager who also sits on the UT board. He is an avid college football fan and was surprised when I told him that the "Carrier" in Carrier Dome has to do with the company, Carrier. Since it has been called Carrier for so long he assumed it was named after an individual and not a company. Got me thinking outside of Syracuse fans and those in the region I wonder how many other think this way? Could be an outlier but I found it interesting.

Not gone from region.
You're missing the point - SU's 100% here to stay and Carrier is mostly gone. Why fight to protect your "name" in a region where you have pulled up most of your stakes? And over 2.75M? When you dolled out $14M to demolish your buildings? Implausible. From a bus. perspective, having made out out like a bandit . . . fighting now just wastes money and defeats the purpose.

Last edited:
Agree about the last point, but why would a fight benefit Carrier at this stage? Consider that: 1) they got a 10-15x ROI on their gift/branding agreement with the Dome; 2) It's been 40 years; and 3) with the exception of one building, they're out of the region. GONE. The question now is, what's there to fight over? The value of their "name" around here??? Implausible. The money? That can't be true either . . . when they pulled out they spent $14M just to demolish their buildings. A fight makes zero business or common sense for Carrier.
Depends on how big of a fight is required. If they can push back a little and get their way, they lose nothing and get to keep their name on a structure that is mentioned on TV regionally or nationally multiple times per year. And it doesn't matter whether their manufacturing presence is in CNY. Most people in the area and nobody outside of the area cares.

If they have to spend a bunch of money to put up a fight, that could change their mind. I suppose their legal and marketing teams would have to get together, estimate costs, and decide whether it's a worthwhile investment.

You're missing the point - SU's 100% here to stay and Carrier is mostly gone. Why fight to protect your "name" in a region where you have pulled up most of your stakes? And over 2.75M? When you dolled out $14M to demolish your buildings? Implausible. From a bus. perspective, having made out out like a bandit . . . fighting now just wastes money and defeats the purpose.
The name has a market value so they won't just give it away for free. The value is not just based on local factors...it is national when we are on national TV. However, if the agreement does not state that "Carrier" has to be mentioned every broadcast or in literature, maybe it is really not worth much. In that case, it is worth less than a billboard as the name on the facade is not that prominent. This would work out well for SU as the buyout would be minimal and they could get on with contracting for actual venue naming rights with someone else.

It wasn't 30 years.

The name has a market value so they won't just give it away for free. The value is not just based on local factors...it is national when we are on national TV. However, if the agreement does not state that "Carrier" has to be mentioned every broadcast or in literature, maybe it is really not worth much. In that case, it is worth less than a billboard as the name on the facade is not that prominent. This would work out well for SU as the buyout would be minimal and they could get on with contracting for actual venue naming rights with someone else.
To the first part, I would say: what market? If you're located in the central NY region, sure there's value. I don't know if it's a million a year, but it's substantial - if you're located there. If not, I question the value of just having the name associated with a building you didn't supply AC to (a source of jokes, per #48, below) located in a region you (mostly) pulled out of. But that is a business issue - way beyond my ken.

As to the second part, you're probably onto something. We're all speculating without the agreement. But based on SU's recent conduct, the deal may only involve a building (physical) label arrangement ... not a "naming rights" agreement in the modern sense requiring "Carrier" to be mentioned (synonamously) with the Dome.

Last edited:
While in Texas this week for work I met with a money manager who also sits on the UT board. He is an avid college football fan and was surprised when I told him that the "Carrier" in Carrier Dome has to do with the company, Carrier. Since it has been called Carrier for so long he assumed it was named after an individual and not a company. Got me thinking outside of Syracuse fans and those in the region I wonder how many other think this way? Could be an outlier but I found it interesting.

Tons of college football fans know that it's from the company. They make a ton of jokes about how the Dome doesn't have air conditioning because of this fact. Especially Big East and ACC fans know this because a lot of them have been to the Dome and were blown away by how hot it is in there. lol

Find me the original quote out Freeney's mouth. I think it may be far more likely that Carrier was added originally then he said that in the first place...

And the media mis-quotes people all the time. Who the heck cares. Do you work there??

Totally agree.

But there definitely needs to be a couple year buffer where we call it the SU Dome or whatever until the rights can be auctioned off to the highest bidder. And I'd let Carrier bring attention to the issue not us of course.

What the hell

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom