"Carrier" Dome Controversy... When does it hit ESPN? | Syracusefan.com

"Carrier" Dome Controversy... When does it hit ESPN?

Faegan

All Conference
...and turn into a "story?"

Or does it?

Over/Under?

Not sure we want to draw attention to this.

Potential litigation with Carrier might scare away a new sponsor. I don’t think they can force their name on the new Dome once the roof is replaced but they could cause trouble for whomever wants to sponsor it.

Saw this article today. Once a couple people start writing about it, someone will pick it up.

I stopped reading here, “While they’ve fallen off in recent years across the board”.

Untrue and unnecessary.

It could just be that a naming gift contract back then had nothing in it about requiring mention of "Carrier" in literature or broadcasts like it would in a naming contract today. A typical naming would be on a normal campus building with no need for that verbiage.

Not sure we want to draw attention to this.

Potential litigation with Carrier might scare away a new sponsor. I don’t think they can force their name on the new Dome once the roof is replaced but they could cause trouble for whomever wants to sponsor it.
Nah. No one will enter into such a contract until this is resolved but no one will be scared away after that happens. It's pretty well understood why this is happening.

Last edited:
Not to mention, as soon as litigation is filed on either side, that naming rights agreements will finally see the light of day. I'm not sure why one side or the other already hasn't released it if it seems to support their position. Unless for some unknown reason there was a confidentiality agreement with it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, didn't SU put out a statement months ago (or maybe last year) that they believe they have an out on the contract? Why am I recalling something to this affect?

I can't believe some of us locals are making such a big deal about this and actually taking Carrier's side.

How it's coming out - it looks as though the University is being childish.

You altered Dwight Freeney's quote? All because you're trying to get out of a deal that you signed?

Listen I want the University to be able to get out of their deal and get new naming rights because that money will be used for plenty of good things, but this is childish.

You altered Dwight Freeney's quote? All because you're trying to get out of a deal that you signed?

Listen I want the University to be able to get out of their deal and get new naming rights because that money will be used for plenty of good things, but this is childish.

That is your opinion just like I have an opinion that a very vocal minority of CNY'ers are negatoids about everything and anything change.

They are playing hardball here. Good for them. It's a negotiating tactic. It should not hurt people's feelings, but apparently it is on both the board and social media.

Who care's about Carrier anyway.

I'm going to guess most people SU fans/sports fans in general won't see it that way. When most people hear about this contract they think, Carrier really got one over on SU. Nobody is going to think SU is being childish by trying to get out of an inequitable contract.

On top of that, if they are able to get out of it, there's nothing childish about it. In the same way Carrier has benefitted from this mostly one sided agreement, if SU can find legal ways out of it and Carrier can't stop them. Such as removing their name from all marketing things, it's just operating within the boundaries of the contract until a judge tells SU otherwise.

That is your opinion just like I have an opinion that a very vocal minority of CNY'ers are negatoids about everything and anything change.

They are playing hardball here. Good for them. It's a negotiating tactic. It should not hurt people's feelings, but apparently it is on both the board and social media.

Who care's about Carrier anyway.
I honestly don't have animosity towards Carrier over this but if SU can get more money from naming, I think it is worth doing and not "childish". They are just starting the process which includes, "Hey, we don't have to say Carrier every time we mention an event and we won't be doing it any longer." They are not going to give something valuable away for free.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom