CB Duce Chestnut transferring to LSU | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

CB Duce Chestnut transferring to LSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
5 years ago...who would have thought that college players would be on a team's roster for less time than NFL players on pro teams?
At some point it would seem this can't be good for the college game. But I'm not bright enough to know when that is or how it will come to be.

Don't hate the player, hate the game. If im offered a job that pays me a lot more than im making then there's a good chance im gone. That said, it is getting harder and harder to be a fan of college football. If im the staff I would use 2/3rds of my scholarships every year on portal players. At least you can build some semblance of continuity with them. If a kid uses up their free transfer its a lot harder for them to transfer again and play right away at another school.

Don't hate the player, hate the game. If im offered a job that pays me a lot more than im making then there's a good chance im gone. That said, it is getting harder and harder to be a fan of college football. If im the staff I would use 2/3rds of my scholarships every year on portal players. At least you can build some semblance of continuity with them. If a kid uses up their free transfer its a lot harder for them to transfer again and play right away at another school.

The problem I have is the "offer" aspect.

I'm all for these players having flexibility to choose the best situation for themselves.

But I have a problem with predatory program boosters actively working behind the scenes to poach players from other teams' rosters by paying them. This is what many were concerned about when nil came up thing, and now it is manifested in less than 2 years, touring college football into out and out unregulated free agency.

Last edited:
This is why I have a tough time crucifying our coaches at a drop of a hat, and call for their heads all the time. If people can’t see that we are different than the tier we are trying to (consistent contender) get to I don’t know what to say to them. This doesn’t mean I don’t think coaches shouldn’t be held accountable, but expectations need to be realistic. Cuse is going to turn into a AAA team for some of the larger players that can put more money in a kid’s pockets. While it stings, I can’t blame them on bit. On to the next man up.
What SU needs to do is build a roster that can compete in the ACC, for as many high end kids that transfer out, as we have seen SU can be second chance U for very talented kids that find themselves needing a fresh start.

it works both ways.

what is going to happen is the factories are going to lose their underbelly and the sport is going to have more parity. Factories aren’t going to lock in and hoard five and four stars anymore. SU if they manage it right will be a net beneficiary

The problem I have is the "offer" aspect.

I'm all for these players having flexibility to choose the best situation for themselves.

But I have a problem with predatory programs actively looking to poach players from other teams' rosters by paying them. This is what many were concerned about when nil came up thing, and now it is manifested in less than 2 years, touring college football into out and out unregulated free agency.
Yeah, it's just a crappy side of this.

What SU needs to do is build a roster that can compete in the ACC, for as many high end kids that transfer out, as we have seen SU can be second chance U for very talented kids that find themselves needing a fresh start.

it works both ways.

what is going to happen is the factories are going to lose their underbelly and the sport is going to have more parity. Factories aren’t going to lock in and hoard five and four stars anymore. SU if they manage it right will be a net beneficiary
Love it! I hope you are spot on.

It is so frustrating as a fan to root for major college football. Free agency should be left to professional athletes, not college athletes.
I agree. We've already lost 9 guys to the portal. I understand backups but all-conference/all-americans leaving blows my mind. It's unreal what football has become.

it works both ways.

Yep, recruit like they have this year. Focus on a select few Hsers that you like and feel you have a good chance with and fill in the rest with factory transfers.

The saddest part for me - is that you end up losing interest in the emotional attachment to players. As a kid, I idolized these guys. Now, coming and going in a year or two’s time, you don’t even have the time to develop the attachment.

That was some of the most fun of football for me, rooting for the players that you loved. I feel like the next generation won’t get to experience that part of it.

Yeah exactly. I don’t blame the players trying to make $. Everyone else is making tons of $ on them. But I feel like it’s going to change CFB as far as the emotional attachment to players on a team. There’s nothing better than seeing a player get better and shine their last two years in the program than get drafted.

No, it’s terrible. I’m not against the players getting paid, but this is not the way to do it.

Ultimately leads to the rich getting richer.
Why?

I'm bummed, but he seemed to get burnt a fair amount. Don't get me wrong, I'd love him back, but he didn't seem as good this year.

We got 2 years of him this stinks but he didn't really improve from his FR season. Next man up.

Perhaps Duce got “portal’d” over

Status
Not open for further replies.