Class of 2016 - CB Monquavion Brinson (GA) to Georgia Southern | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 CB Monquavion Brinson (GA) to Georgia Southern

Kind of a funny thing to say on the day we just hired a coach who is considered one of the very best recruiters in the country.

I'm not trying to stir things up. Honestly, I really don't know anything about Beatty. However, It is not revisionist history to remind people that we heard similar things about George McDonald. He was this top recruiter too.

So, I hope you can understand why some of us might feel it appropriate to adopt a wait and see attitude.

I am cautiously optimistic. Though Babers has made a few choices that make me scratch my head. I am admittedly not exposed to all the information that he is. And so I wait and see what unfolds.

P.S. I thought you were referring to Babers too as the great recruiter, rather than Beatty, until I read further in the thread. So, it is an understandable misunderstanding.

I'm definitely not saying they will (it's WAY too early) but if this staff starts to lag in gaining solid recruits the next couple years then I'm going to really hate all the Syracuse "fans" that shouted for Shafer to be gone.
Funny thing though; the more Shafer brought in "his" players, the fewer the wins came.

Mistake. This staff were never world beaters at recruiting and they are going to let go of Eric White and Cole Dial? These guys could find kids other people were overlooking, could make connections with recruits, and KNEW how to get their attention once on campus. Wow.

I'm definitely not saying they will (it's WAY too early) but if this staff starts to lag in gaining solid recruits the next couple years then I'm going to really hate all the Syracuse "fans" that shouted for Shafer to be gone.
Yeah those Shafer classes were really piling on the wins the past few years. And who are the stars on campus that others overlooked? There are none. From what I have seen these guys (White and Dial) are hard workers but everyone can be replaced and so far this staff has shown connections well beyond what Shafer had going on. Excluding of course the famous Acosta NJ pipeline that was bringing in 2 or 3 mostly second tier NJ recruits that PSU, Rutgers and even UVA had passed on for better NJ talent.

I'll take the addition of the Midwest, Tidewater area of VA, the MD/DC area and some FLA from these guys over what Shafer had going on.

Funny thing though; the more Shafer brought in "his" players, the fewer the wins came.
A few other things happened the last two years, but we've covered this 50000 times at this point. It is what it is at this point. This staff is coming out of the gates very fast, sure we've only seen one commit so far. They have a very short window to get a lot done and I've been impressed so far.

When XHCSS hired McDonald, didn't they shoot out of the gate pretty quickly too? I seem to recall a lot of happy recruiting fans here along with myself about that.

jekelish said:
Sports Illustrated, for example, said that very thing today.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2015/12/11/chris-beatty-syracuse-virginia

"His hiring would be a recruiting coup for Babers. One of college football’s top recruiters, Beatty is highly respected in Virginia, Maryland, Washington D.C. and Florida, all key areas for the Orange."
Great news one of the concerns many expressed was his recruiting weakness on the days following the announcement this is a good about face.

Has Beatty signed yet? Like to see that name on the dotted line.
The SI article said he was coming up to sign yesterday. He does need to update his twitter pictures, still UVA on it Oh Lord

Ok i hope not. Thoughts on the rest of it?
That commits are being contacted and have been evaluated as to whether or not they fit this staffs system. With all these 2016 offers that are going out I am guessing that many of the Shafer commits are being told that they do not fit that system...they may even be told that their commitment will be honored but they will never play. This would give the kid the option to start looking around.

CuseLegacy said:
That commits are being contacted and have been evaluated as to whether or not they fit this staffs system. With all these 2016 offers that are going out I am guessing that many of the Shafer commits are being told that they do not fit that system...they may even be told that their commitment will be honored but they will never play. This would give the kid the option to start looking around.

Ok hope so. Id just like the staff to be up front honest and trustworthy with this. I know its a lot to ask in the recruiting world but as an alum I have been pleased that we had moved in that direction and it had been improving recruiting. Keeping those qualitites through the transition will build further trust and make future recruiting easier.

Yeah those Shafer classes were really piling on the wins the past few years. And who are the stars on campus that others overlooked? There are none. From what I have seen these guys (White and Dial) are hard workers but everyone can be replaced and so far this staff has shown connections well beyond what Shafer had going on. Excluding of course the famous Acosta NJ pipeline that was bringing in 2 or 3 mostly second tier NJ recruits that PSU, Rutgers and even UVA had passed on for better NJ talent.

I'll take the addition of the Midwest, Tidewater area of VA, the MD/DC area and some FLA from these guys over what Shafer had going on.

I think you are going a little hard on guys like Acosta. How long has he been on board, maybe two seasons? He knows NJ but remember he was hitting up a state that the previous coaching staff had little if any success recruiting. I believe Moore was responsible for NJ and I remember lots of rumblings about efforts there. So maybe he would have been successful over the next year or maybe not but the efforts were being made and by reading this board I think a lot of fans appreciated him and would have liked to see him stay because of those efforts and his experience as a HC.

I'm not trying to stir things up. Honestly, I really don't know anything about Beatty. However, It is not revisionist history to remind people that we heard similar things about George McDonald. He was this top recruiter too.

So, I hope you can understand why some of us might feel it appropriate to adopt a wait and see attitude.

I am cautiously optimistic. Though Babers has made a few choices that make me scratch my head. I am admittedly not exposed to all the information that he is. And so I wait and see what unfolds.

P.S. I thought you were referring to Babers too as the great recruiter, rather than Beatty, until I read further in the thread. So, it is an understandable misunderstanding.
I was thinking the same in regards to McDonald yesterday. But after thinking about it some more, there is a very important difference between the two hires. McDonald was starting a new gig as an OC, at which he eventually failed miserably, and was ultimately the downfall of the Shafer regime.

When it comes to Beatty, he is staying in a role he has been successful at UVA in. He also will be the coach that is expected to do the least in terms of overall offensive scheme work (at least early on) as he is working on learning our offense as well.

That's a reason to expect he will be able to maintain his recruiting props here where McDonald failed.

Id just like the staff to be up front honest and trustworthy with this.

Seriously, did you just write that. So you have no clue what the story is with these recruits whatsoever so you "assume" there is something dishonest in it all. How did you come to that conclusion? Should the staff personally call you to tell you everything they are doing and why.

Well now that's not true at all. No one knew who Eric Dungey and Jordan Fredericks were, but both are very good young players who became starters as true freshmen. You can give a little credit where it's due.
to be fair, ESPN ran a piece naming Dungey as the top uncommitted QB in the country shortly before Syracuse offered. It isn't accurate to say no one knew who Dungey was. It is, of course, accurate to say that Syracuse was the only P5 school to offer Dungey, and the former staff deserves credit for that.

I realize VirginiaOrange's post (which is the one you responded to) was vague when he said "who are the stars on campus others overlooked", but he is referencing the post that kicked off this line of discussion, where orinjal made the claim that White and Dial were responsible for finding overlooked talent on the team. I'm not aware of any evidence that White and Dial were the ones who first ID'ed Dungey or Fredericks, or anyone. I could very well be wrong, but I doubt the staff relied on those guys to actually provide film evaluation and rely on their judgment of talent.

Seriously, did you just write that. So you have no clue what the story is with these recruits whatsoever so you "assume" there is something dishonest in it all. How did you come to that conclusion? Should the staff personally call you to tell you everything they are doing and why.
Calm down. He was just expressing his hope of how this is being handled... no more than all the rest of us hope and expect.

In regards to me saying this staff are not world beaters in recruiting, I'm referring to the staff as a whole, and one overseen by a head coach not known for his recruiting prowess.

In regards to Syracuse not bringing in any players under Shafer ("proven" by the fact they weren't winning) there are so many holes in that statement I'm not going to go point for point.

Let's be real- our recruiting classes under SS were never better than the bottom of the ACC. Compared to the B.E. it might have improved but that's not saying much. Recruiting was one of the many areas that SS did not outperform our peer institutions.

Let's be real- our recruiting classes under SS were never better than the bottom of the ACC. Compared to the B.E. it might have improved but that's not saying much. Recruiting was one of the many areas that SS did not outperform our peer institutions.

I think scott had a good eye for talent but like everything else, needed to win more to really show his true capabilities.

Is brinson reconfirmed?
Not that I'm aware of. I'm pretty positive he's heard from the staff but he's one of the guys who I don't think they'll be too worked up about losing, if they do lose him.

jekelish said:
Not that I'm aware of. I'm pretty positive he's heard from the staff but he's one of the guys who I don't think they'll be too worked up about losing, if they do lose him.

Believe this staff knows what they're doing, but hard not question them when they're passing, or so it seems, on recruits who are playing in prestigious all-star games and are first-team all-state caliber.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom