CBS Sports ranks us 12th in the ACC for next year | Syracusefan.com

CBS Sports ranks us 12th in the ACC for next year

With so many unknowns on our team, slotting us anywhere in the conference projections can't really be considered ridiculous. Is 12th bearish? Yes, I'd say it is. You guys who are saying 6th place for us are probably being extremely bullish, but again, we just don't know. Last year our team looked great on paper. I hope we keep being picked near the bottom.

If we get consistent guard play and one or two of our forwards are really good, we can compete. If not, struggle city.

With so many unknowns on our team, slotting us anywhere in the conference projections can't really be considered ridiculous. Is 12th bearish? Yes, I'd say it is. You guys who are saying 6th place for us are probably being extremely bullish, but again, we just don't know. Last year our team looked great on paper. I hope we keep being picked near the bottom.

If we get consistent guard play and one or two of our forwards are really good, we can compete. If not, struggle city.

12th is absurd, considering in a really bad year we finish 8th or 9th. I'm keeping my expectations tempered, but I would be stunned if we finished in the bottom half of the league. At some point you have to look at the name on the front of the jersey and the man coaching and give the benefit of the doubt.

Agreed, but understandable. We weren't very good [relatively speaking] last year, and lost several important cogs.

Now, that prognostication becomes rendered bunk IF:
  • Battle explodes into a lottery pick
  • Oshae Brissett is more than just a top 75 recruit
  • Marek Dolezaj is more Mike Dunleavy than just a scrawny, physical overmatched kid who won't be ready
  • Thorpe is the real deal
Those things happen, and we could finish in the top 5-6.

I think before we got Thorpe and Marek, 12th might've been a realistic prediction.

But now, I think we should be at least middle of the pack.
That's exactly it. Whoever made this list must have seen a team that struggled lose Lydon, White, Gillon, and Roberson, with unknown recruits, redshirts, and transfers joining and returning.

That's exactly it. Whoever made this list must have seen a team that struggled lose Lydon, White, Gillon, and Roberson, with unknown recruits, redshirts, and transfers joining and returning.

Yes, it was clearly written from that perspective and outside of Tyus and Thompson (TT on offense), we have no proven SU commodities and literally zero seniors.

I can kind of get it because as they said, we're crazy young and we're a pretty big question mark this year.

However, leaving Battle off the list of "Biggest Names Returning" is completely absurd and indefensible.

Eh, it's fair. the roster is lots of question marks. Battle should be a known quantity but avg 11/game so some people are asleep on the wheel with that.

It's bearish I guess but what else is a national guy like Norlander supposed to think of this team with all of the losses? It's going to take some early OOC wins as well I think for national media types who are skeptical of Boeheim's abilites currently sans Hopkins to get on board, IMO. I wouldn't be surpised if many think he's finished. We'll see.

That being said, as RF and others have mentioned, I think it's a small gap from bottom of the league to say in the top 6. A couple of breaks here/there and if some of the unknowns come in and contribute as well as exceed expectations then we're right there. LOTS of variables and unknowns. Nobody knows nothin that's for sure. Kind of exciting.

Get used to it.

Objective analysis of what we lost, the relatively unknown (and unproven) talent we have coming in, combined with the lack of experience, is going to result in these types of predictions.

This does not seem unreasonable to me, even though I think we are going to outperform those predictions.

Agreed, but understandable. We weren't very good [relatively speaking] last year, and lost several important cogs.

Now, that prognostication becomes rendered bunk IF:
  • Battle explodes into a lottery pick
  • Oshae Brissett is more than just a top 75 recruit
  • Marek Dolezaj is more Mike Dunleavy than just a scrawny, physical overmatched kid who won't be ready
  • Thorpe is the real deal
Those things happen, and we could finish in the top 5-6.

Add in that thompson averages 13, 7 and 3. Which I absolutely believe he's capable of if he adds some muscle. 3 being assists, he's much more offensively savvy than bigs of the past.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom