Center recruits | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Center recruits

I'm guessing they are evaluating overseas players, as well. I'd expect some names to pop up that we haven't heard up to this point.

If JBA can play then people need to stop with the project label.
You can’t raise expectations without the criticism meter going up.
I just want JBA to be able to be a big off the bench during league who can play double digit minutes if necessary.
I don’t expect Lydon who was a perfect college big and was the difference in our final four run as the 4th scorer and guy who could block shots in the middle.

JBA isn’t Lydon.

If JBA can play then people need to stop with the project label.
You can’t raise expectations without the criticism meter going up.
I just want JBA to be able to be a big off the bench during league who can play double digit minutes if necessary.
I don’t expect Lydon who was a perfect college big and was the difference in our final four run as the 4th scorer and guy who could block shots in the middle.

JBA isn’t Lydon.

I don't know that JBA will be able to play 10 minutes a game next year at the C position. Rakeem Christmas averaged 11.4 mpg as a freshman and he was a much better prospect, IMO.

Hope JBA works out but we need reinforcements.

I bet we tap the grad transfer market. I would love to get a traditional transfer too

Or Chol, Qudus, Carl Lewis, Tre Mitchell some guys that are available out there!!!

Carl Lewis sounds like a guy who could really help us re-impliment the fast break like back in the day.

1-t8048304-340.jpg

I know that in another thread some people were putting down Buddy Boeheim’s offer from Gonzaga saying that Few doesn’t get many high rated recruits. Just saw that Gonzaga has the 4th ranked class for 2019, so their recruiting must be improving. What I don’t get is how they got three 6’10” four star recruits in the 2019 class. They had already signed a 4 star 6’10” recruit this year (2018) too. He seems to get quite a few European players.

I know that in another thread some people were putting down Buddy Boeheim’s offer from Gonzaga saying that Few doesn’t get many high rated recruits. Just saw that Gonzaga has the 4th ranked class for 2019, so their recruiting must be improving. What I don’t get is how they got three 6’10” four star recruits in the 2019 class. They had already signed a 4 star 6’10” recruit this year (2018) too. He seems to get quite a few European players.

I'd be happy with one 4 star big, and they have 4? Shaking my head. I wish JB's good buddies Few and K would share their recruiting secrets with him, lol. Maybe Marek can become the Moyer and JGIII for European twitter recruiting?

That was me, and thanks for the truth bomb.
But, i wasn't "putting down Buddy's offer." Just saying that if he had been named Buddy Jones, from Topeka, he wouldn't have been on our radar.

I know that in another thread some people were putting down Buddy Boeheim’s offer from Gonzaga ...
Here's the thing, and before everyone jumps on me for being a hater I think Buddy is a P5 D1 player... But, Few's offer was an offer from a friend and Few had zero expectation of Buddy ever coming to Gonzaga. I'm sure he would have taken Buddy if for some reason Buddy decided against going to SU, but c'mon, he was going nowhere other than SU.

Buddy didn't get any other offers because they would have been pointless - he was already committed to SU. I would be hard pressed to find a single D1 player who didn't go play for their father if he coached a D1 team.

Here's the thing, and before everyone jumps on me for being a hater I think Buddy is a P5 D1 player... But, Few's offer was an offer from a friend and Few had zero expectation of Buddy ever coming to Gonzaga. I'm sure he would have taken Buddy if for some reason Buddy decided against going to SU, but c'mon, he was going nowhere other than SU.

Buddy didn't get any other offers because they would have been pointless - he was already committed to SU. I would be hard pressed to find a single D1 player who didn't go play for their father if he coached a D1 team.
HATER ALERT

But, i wasn't "putting down Buddy's offer." Just saying that if he had been named Buddy Jones, from Topeka, he wouldn't have been on our radar.

And you could say the same for any other player on our roster.

Buddy in half a season has already played more minutes than Chino who was here 3 years.
Buddy is progressing nicely.
I didn’t expect anything major till his Junior year. He has been a solid 9th guy this year.
The kid deserves no criticism for anything yet. He has a skill set we can use when we need offense. His defense needs to get better but his dad and the coaching staff we will work on that with him and if he can’t defend JB won’t play him.

What would you say if you weren’t putting him down? How about if he was named Joe Girard from Glens Falls or Andy Rautins from Jamesville Dewitt would they be on our radar? Or is the last name just being ‘Boeheim’ that causes you to make your assumption?

edit

from topeka probably not
but from tully for sure

if we hadn't had buddy in the bag, good chance we might've offered tyler bertram, aka buddy lite

Well, we have never recruited Kansas, so I would agree with the statement, but to think we would not recruit a premier shooter in our recruiting area is nonsense. Truth is, if his name wasn't Boeheim, he would have had a plethora of high D-1 offers.

Buddy is the exact type of player who would kill us and other teams in games, a player that teams had to scheme for, that everyone would say ‘why don’t we ever recruit that type of player? ‘ You are wrong that Notre Dame, Nova, Duke, Gonzaga, Michigan, BC etc wouldn’t recruit a Buddy type player. Most of them recruited Joe Girard, another excellent shooter, who didn’t have Buddy’s height nor 3 pt stats in EYBL. Everyone knew he was all SU from the get go.

international centers have been pretty good lately in the NCAA - sabonis, wagner, vucevic, gorgui deng, steven adams, yurtseven, karnowski etc etc - and they are often a bit under the radar...so you'd think easier to recruit.

and the NBA is basically being dominated by international 5's at the moment...for whatever reason they seem to be more skilled than the domestic bigs generally speaking.

I'd like to see the squad get some more international flavor at the 5 - perhaps even some passing and shooting to go along with solid d and rebounding (i know thats a lot to ask) but MD's passing/shooting really opens up the offense...should be a pre-req for the spot i.e. recruiting.

Whatever the case - hopefully the centers recruited are 1) big enough to play the position (weight and height) and 2) are actual basketball players not just tall people

I think if SU could somehow snare a stud well-rounded international 5 of the same ilk that is populating the NBA at the moment - it could be the catalyst to another run at a title.

international centers have been pretty good lately in the NCAA - sabonis, wagner, vucevic, gorgui deng, steven adams, yurtseven, karnowski etc etc - and they are often a bit under the radar...so you'd think easier to recruit.

and the NBA is basically being dominated by international 5's at the moment...for whatever reason they seem to be more skilled than the domestic bigs generally speaking.

I'd like to see the squad get some more international flavor at the 5 - perhaps even some passing and shooting to go along with solid d and rebounding (i know thats a lot to ask) but MD's passing/shooting really opens up the offense...should be a pre-req for the spot i.e. recruiting.

Whatever the case - hopefully the centers recruited are 1) big enough to play the position (weight and height) and 2) are actual basketball players not just tall people

I think if SU could somehow snare a stud well-rounded international 5 of the same ilk that is populating the NBA at the moment - it could be the catalyst to another run at a title.

Fran Fraschilla is one of the huge international player contacts.

Wonder if we are keeping tabs on big jimmy that came to our elite camp this summer. 6'10 and built like a beast. No skinny bean pole...we gotta try something different because our approach to recruting certain types of 5s isnt working the best.