Class of 2025 - CG Derek Dixon (DC) Offered | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2025 CG Derek Dixon (DC) Offered

I can understand that from your end, but I guess my question would be do they have a legal leg to stand on? (Not that you want to be defending a lawsuit even if you are right.)
What if there was attribution or a link?
If it is premium info, and just a link is provided, I see no issues.

But if someone copies and pastes the content from a premium page, even if they attribute the source of the info and provide a link, we have an issue.

I am not a lawyer. I don't know exactly what the law says on this. Tom Emery has been the guy on the front lines dealing with this.

I just know when people have pasted info from a premium site on our board, we have had people from that site threaten us. This has happened a number of times. They might have sued as well. Not sure about it.

But the administrators of this board do what we can to prevent people from doing this.

But if someone copies and pastes the content from a premium page, even if they attribute the source of the info and provide a link, we have an issue.

I am not a lawyer. I don't know exactly what the law says on this. Tom Emery has been the guy on the front lines dealing with this.

I just know when people have pasted info from a premium site on our board, we have had people from that site threaten us. This has happened a number of times. They might have sued as well. Not sure about it.

But the administrators of this board do what we can to prevent people from doing this.
I think most are asking about podcasts, etc. and not necessarily written articles. But I could be misinterpreting that too.

I think most are asking about podcasts, etc. and not necessarily written articles. But I could be misinterpreting that too.
Trillys info is a discord server so i dont know how exactly that would mix with the laws/rules

Trillys info is a discord server so i dont know how exactly that would mix with the laws/rules
Gotcha. Not sure about a discord either. I would say something you pay for and are listening to on Sirius or a podcast is fair game to share. Obviously, we know it is a no-no to share quotes, etc. from premium articles. But like sutomcat said above.. sharing a link is okay.

I get copy and paste (I am really just trying to understand it all, not busting chops.)
But if I say I read that X player has SUbjn the final 5, even if I read it in a play site, is that something I shouldn’t post?

I get copy and paste (I am really just trying to understand it all, not busting chops.)
But if I say I read that X player has SUbjn the final 5, even if I read it in a play site, is that something I shouldn’t post?
Yes, we have been told posters should not post info from premium sites on our board.

If you got your info from a program insider, a HS coach or some other source, it is fine to post it here.

We do not want people to post info they got from a premium board. That is going to result in trouble for the poster and for the site and the site admins.

We do not want to be sued. If you don’t understand, so be it. We do not want to be sued.

We probably go through this exercise 2 or 3 times a year. I think we have always been consistent on our stance.

Yes, we have been told posters should not post info from premium sites on our board.

If you got your info from a program insider, a HS coach or some other source, it is fine to post it here.

We do not want people to post info they got from a premium board. That is going to result in trouble for the poster and for the site and the site admins.

We do not want to be sued. If you don’t understand, so be it. We do not want to be sued.

We probably go through this exercise 2 or 3 times a year. I think we have always been consistent on our stance.
I don't pay for any sites so I'm not going to be at risk. I also respect your position and if that's the stance, so be it and people should follow it. That said, no way is there anything wrong with mentioning something that you learned from reading a paid article. Of course someone (or this site) could face trouble if they copy and paste content. However, by summarizing a few thoughts you have from reading an article is in no way putting anyone in legal trouble (no matter how much a paid site tries to threaten such things).

Back to Derek Dixon...

As stated, I understand not wanting to be sued. Even if you are right, its no fun. I am just curious because it seems inconsistent, at best. No worries on my end.
I don't need to worry, because I don't frequent the pay sites.

Last edited:
This has been great to hash out in a recruiting thread. Thanks guys.
The BBQ sauce isn't as good a form of compensation as you'd think though, because they pay for the case but you have to cover shipping and handling yourself.

The web site has been threatened with lawsuits by several sites for inadvertently allowing their premium content to appear here.

We don’t like that.

Just a bit curious. In those instances where you were threatened, was the content quoted verbatim (cut & paste, for example) here, or did someone simply relay the information which was reported on the premium site. If I am not mistaken, the text from the premium site is protected by copyright, but the information itself is not. This is especially true if there was no attribution by the poster here. It would be difficult for another site to prove from where the poster here got that information. For instance, he, or she, could have learned of the content through a conversation with a third party, and that would not be an actionable infringement of copyright law. People simply need to avoid verbatim quotes or identifying the source of the information.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom