Class of 2019 - CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 119 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
My feeling on this has always been that if he decided to do a public announcement in Glens Falls that he would choose Cuse because it would be an extremely popular decision for local followers. If he decided to do a twitter announcement, I didn’t like our chances. Obviously I could be wrong, but I’m hoping I’m right and we get good news Sunday evening.
Yup. Pretty sure all of Glens Falls wants to see him in orange. Like when.DC announced at JD. Place went nuts. Only Tobias Harris could ruin a great moment.

98% of the Syracuse population doesn't know who Joe Girard is, the only place that will be upset is this board.
I once was in a restuarant where a customer, who was from out of town said to a waitress " I'm going to a basketball game...did you know there was a game?". She looked at him with indignation and said "Mr. ...this is Syracuse."

Joe is a pretty unusual recruit for Syracuse these days. He did not opt to play at a prep school and he doesn't come from a major power that plays a big time schedule against top notch opponents.

I think it is reasonable to think his freshman year, he is going to be making a major adjustment to college ball, especially if he chooses an ACC school. Even more than the kids from Oak Hill, IMG, and the NE prep schools.

The last time Syracuse signed a recruit who had similar great success at the HS level that played at a small school was probably Gerry MacNamara. I cam think of no one better to help Joe make the adjustment to top level college ball.
Brandon Triche? he had a solid freshman campaign.

but I do agree. I think he will not be a huge piece until after his freshman season.

Penn State is a sleeping giant. If they ever make the right hire (maybe they have already) there is no reason that they can’t be very competitive. They just have never really gone all in on Basketball. Great facilities, great campus, excellent academic school, great conference association. HUGE rabid other sport fanbase that with a couple of winning seasons should be able to be awakened to hoops.

I like them much better than BC, which I think is always going to be behind the curve as a program.

I thought that the "sleeping giant" rationale was specific to Rutgers.

and half the board doesn't really want him

That is definitely true, which boggles my mind but hey everyone's entitled to their own opinion I guess, lol.

That is definitely true, which boggles my mind but hey everyone's entitled to their own opinion I guess, lol.

Think I’m still scarred by Cooney - his last year I honestly wanted him to stop shooting cause I would cringe. And I liked the kid!

So, as much as you’d think shooting always translates...well, Cooney may have ruined that axiom for me haha.

Throw in tough to evaluate (level of competition), just a so-so showing this past AAU summer, and measurables NBA teams aren’t exactly drooling over and yeah, I got some doubts

I think if he isn't going to play right away the proximity to Cuse may hurt us. The only thing that can turn faster on their own than the SU fan base is the hometown of a small school legend. He may enjoy the 400 mile distance and the minimal exposure rather than the added pressure of answering "why aren't you playing?"

Yeah, you can say whatever you like now (doesn’t even have to be true)...may even get you elected President of United States.
Keep the political garbage on the appropriate forum. This is a recruit page.

I think if he isn't going to play right away the proximity to Cuse may hurt us. The only thing that can turn faster on their own than the SU fan base is the hometown of a small school legend. He may enjoy the 400 mile distance and the minimal exposure rather than the added pressure of answering "why aren't you playing?"
I think he likes the pressure/exposure and I believe he will contribute no matter where he goes.

Hmmm almost feels like finding 67 more pages on "we don't know" is going to be like padding a term paper. I'll go ask my garbage man what he knows.

Actually it was probably more. I had a bunch of posts deleted in that thread as did others. Now lets go back to talking JG3.

It's Cuse or bust.

Or Ron Patterson...

Or Chino...

So there’s some misses but also some hits there
This is a no brainer recruit when we have a full compliment of scholarships. He checks off every box for a 3 star recruit: local, volume shooter, huge potential upside, hard worker, toughness, QB and lead guard leadership skills, gritty. That's eight things without mentioning that he is the NYS scoring holder.

Funny, I can’t help but get sucked into caring about this - cause I’m pretty on the fence about SU getting this kid in general.

But I love me a good mystery/recruiting reveal ceremony!

Now, if someone wants to ask Joe’s family where Guerrier is going, I’d love to know that...

I feel the same exact way. Ultimately, I'm not going to turn down a shooter with our offense the last few seasons, but I still have concerns about his competition level and adjustment to the college game and think some expectations might be a bit high. I've been wrong many times though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom