Class of 2019 - CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 160 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really not sure what you guys are watching.

He handles the ball fine for a high school basketball player, but a lot of those drives are not getting through ACC defenses.
I'm watching "ball handling" literally something our guys we have now struggle with. Simple behind the back or splitting a defender etc. Not bouncing the ball shoulder height or bouncing it off your foot. JG3 looks solid dribbling the basketball. Getting by acc defenders is a different convo.

howards lack of being able to get to the hole this year really hurts when its added to the fact we have no guy capable of posting down low.. But battle struggles too and carey loses the ball when he tries.. if you can get into the paint the outside is so much easier to get off

Yeah Carey loses the ball now but hes the only player on the team back next year who’s capable of beating anyone off the bounce.

Really not sure what you guys are watching.

He handles the ball fine for a high school basketball player, but a lot of those drives are not getting through ACC defenses.

He looks like he will be able to drive fine - but he definitely aint gonna be finishing layups at the rim all day - his pull up 3 looks like Steph Curry

Yeah Carey loses the ball now but hes the only player on the team back next year who’s capable of beating anyone off the bounce.
Beating someone off the bounce means nothing if you keep turning the ball over, and continue to take on double teams without passing to an open man. I need to see Carey can do these things before I annoint him as the inheritor of the point.
So far I have been underwhelmed by young Carey and his abilities. I know he is just a frosh, and may improve, but in my opinion to play point he has a long row to hoe.

Beating someone off the bounce means nothing if you keep turning the ball over, and continue to take on double teams without passing to an open man. I need to see Carey can do these things before I annoint him as the inheritor of the point.
So far I have been underwhelmed by young Carey and his abilities. I know he is just a frosh, and may improve, but in my opinion to play point he has a long row to hoe.

Yeah I’m sure he’ll never get better.

Look, I said hopefully Carey, because frankly, the kid I’m describing ain’t coming in the fall either. So its either Carey or a 2020.

Yeah I’m sure he’ll never get better.

Look, I said hopefully Carey, because frankly, the kid I’m describing ain’t coming in the fall either. So its either Carey or a 2020.

Well I am not sure he will never get better, the point is will he improve enough, that is the question. We have not had a true point type player in a very long time, some of our make dos have done okay some have flopped, we shall see what happens with Carey or if someone else steps up to the plate.

I think his handle is fine - he may not have blow by speed but he can maintain a dribble while going to the basket which for this years team would be gold. His biggest challenge will be adjusting to being a role guy rather than the guy - his whole life in two sports he has been the key cog, we don't need that here, or if we do we are in trouble as I don't think he has that kind of talent. However, the minute he steps on campus he is our best FT shooter and ball handler.

There's a handful of posters overrating Girard, but theres also a handful underrating him.

He may not be the most athletic, but we have got ourselves in trouble going after athletes with unrefined skills. Having guys like him and Buddy is a breath of fresh air in my opinion.

Hope he can draw defenders and succeed in penetrating the d his first year.

He’s not going to average 15 ppg on 45% 3pt shooting

I think his handle is fine - he may not have blow by speed but he can maintain a dribble while going to the basket which for this years team would be gold. His biggest challenge will be adjusting to being a role guy rather than the guy - his whole life in two sports he has been the key cog, we don't need that here, or if we do we are in trouble as I don't think he has that kind of talent. However, the minute he steps on campus he is our best FT shooter and ball handler.

To be clear, I like this pickup and think the kid will be good at Syracuse. His shooting will translate to the highest level.

I just do not believe his ball handling does. It's not tight enough and if there's a top-level defender on him, he's going to struggle getting by him in the ACC.

Hopefully this kid has an Andy Rautins-type arch.

There's a handful of posters overrating Girard, but theres also a handful underrating him.

He may not be the most athletic, but we have got ourselves in trouble going after athletes with unrefined skills. Having guys like him and Buddy is a breath of fresh air in my opinion.

I think he's the kind of kid that would give us fits for 3 years. I hope he turns into that type of four year player that everyone is going to be really sad when his time on the Hill is over.

i could easily see joe getting PG min next year behind Carey and Washington.

He played with City Rocks and was not the guy. I think he will fit in at SU and contribute his freshman year.

i dont know how he will do handle wise, because now he can play totally without care with the ball and just flat out try to score.. but he has a better handle in attack mode than anyone on this team.. i do wonder if he can finish at the rim over the size he will see next yr. In HS he gets those foul calls, he probably wont get 90% of those calls in the ACC.

To be clear, I like this pickup and think the kid will be good at Syracuse. His shooting will translate to the highest level.

I just do not believe his ball handling does. It's not tight enough and if there's a top-level defender on him, he's going to struggle getting by him in the ACC.

Hopefully this kid has an Andy Rautins-type arch.

I agree on the handle at least as it appears now (who knows if the ceiling is higher) but disagree on the rautins comp. To me, rautins was an elite passer and, at least later in his career, was a really disruptive defender. He also had length and shot well coming off screens.

Not saying Girard won’t do that but at this point he looks like he’s a different type of player.

Comps are hard but I would almost picture him as a potentially more dynamic version of freshman year Brandon Triche (when he could actually shoot). Obviously they are different players and I think girard’s offensive upside is higher (probably won’t be as good defensively), but a capable ball handler, capable passer, opportunistic defender and a good shooter.

Something like but I know that’s not perfect either.

I agree on the handle at least as it appears now (who knows if the ceiling is higher) but disagree on the rautins comp. To me, rautins was an elite passer and, at least later in his career, was a really disruptive defender. He also had length and shot well coming off screens.

Not saying Girard won’t do that but at this point he looks like he’s a different type of player.

Comps are hard but I would almost picture him as a potentially more dynamic version of freshman year Brandon Triche (when he could actually shoot). Obviously they are different players and I think girard’s offensive upside is higher (probably won’t be as good defensively), but a capable ball handler, capable passer, opportunistic defender and a good shooter.

Something like but I know that’s not perfect either.

I just meant Rautins in terms of effectiveness when he becomes a junior/senior. Different players but hopefully with the same sort of impact.

Girard could contribute next year - but with Goodine, Carey & Boeheim all presumably ahead of him, plus Hughes, I think it might be tough sledding initially.

I just meant Rautins in terms of effectiveness when he becomes a junior/senior. Different players but hopefully with the same sort of impact.

Girard could contribute next year - but with Goodine, Carey & Boeheim all presumably ahead of him, plus Hughes, I think it might be tough sledding initially.
Rautins was effective playing without the ball, where Girard always has the ball in his hands. No one really knows how effective Girard will be playing without dominating the ball. When you shoot as much as he does, you can shoot yourself back into a hot streak. What happens when he only gets 10 shots and he starts out 1-6? He will probably sit down and not have the chance to turn it around.

It’s hilarious how people completely forget about city rocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom