Class of 2019 - CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 163 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking forward to his herky-jerky change of pace style. Kid has it upstairs and understands the game more than most of our current players. I think it's his cerebral game and not just his stroke, that will help set him apart from the rest. Currently, the kid has to try and shake 2-3 defenders for nearly every shot he takes, in college he will most often only have to shake one guy to free himself up for a shot. Something I think he will excel at. He knows how to get a defender on his heels and how to take advantage of that. Whether it is pulling up, fading away, even from DEEP(which he has the strength and muscle memory to do), or blowing by them, kid knows how to manipulate his defender(s).

Last edited:
Deeeeep.

Ok, I have an “I was wrong” statement to write on this kid - but, first, I need to ask a serious question:

How can that possibly not translate to the next level?

Seriously. Watched clip 10 times - catches ball damn near close to half court. Takes all of 2 seconds (literally) to catch & shoot. Great form. Defender makes effort to guard shot, but too late. Give the man another 3 points.

How is that play stopped by an opposing college team? I don’t see how it unfolds any differently, and I’m trying to be open-minded.

Shooting like that has got to transfer to the college level, just has to. Only scenario where I could see it not is if Girard was either 1.) Too short, such that opposing defenders could block or alter the shot and/or 2.) Too slow in his mechanics to get shot off quick enough. But I don’t think either of those things are true of JG3.

Looking for responses/thoughts please

he will force teams to play him with no help responsibilities. you need a guard who can drive by guys to stop that. he goes by the class b kids 1-1 so they have to run 2-3 guys at him.. i dont know if that translates yet. but if he can get by 1 guy then when he gets into the lane they have to come at him and he really likes to pass and buddy/hughes will be getting open looks.. when buddy gets in the lane he makes that shot and JG will too.. neither will be able to finish at the basket but not sure they have to get there. .

Buddy has been able to bring the ball up, get in the lane at times, see no reason why JG3 wouldn't be able to find ways to get into the paint or be able to bring the ball up as his handle is better than Buddy's. Kid can get his defender on their heels better than most. Has a real good jab step that frees up space to pull up and launch a 3, and wont just stand there pounding the ball. After he establishes his 3, it will open up opportunities for blow by's on aggresive Defenders closing out. Also, defenders may not want to guard him too tight or attempt a lot of reach-ins as he will be the best FT shooter Cuse will have ever had.

Who ya got?

Carey and Buddy. With Elijah and Oshae. And Sidibe. It will be very interesting to see how the rotation works out especially in the back court with Girard. As we saw this year, don’t think most expected buddy to play so much more than Jalen.

Carey and Buddy. With Elijah and Oshae. And Sidibe. It will be very interesting to see how the rotation works out especially in the back court with Girard. As we saw this year, don’t think most expected buddy to play so much more than Jalen.

We *have* to sign one more big man this spring.
Then we should have a pretty good team, but probably be one year away from a legit chance for a deep run in the tournament.

Buddy will play 35 minutes a game next year. Anyone who paid attention to how well he played the second half of the season combined with JB’s short rotations knows that. The rest of the guys are fighting for PG minutes. May the best man win.

I think it's going to be very hard for our staff to keep JG3 off the court. Kids gunna see time. Its definitely going to be interesting to see what our rotation is.

It's between Girard and Washington for who is going to be the back up PG.
Should be interesting.

Buddy will play 35 minutes a game next year. Anyone who paid attention to how well he played the second half of the season combined with JB’s short rotations knows that. The rest of the guys are fighting for PG minutes. May the best man win.

No he's not. Brycen Goodine is way too good to play 10 minutes a game.
I think Goodine and Carey are the starters next year, and Buddy is the first guy off the bench.
I see minutes at guard as more like 25 for Carey, 25 for Buddy, 20 for Goodine and 10 for Girard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom