Class of 2019 - CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 42 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watched the highlight tape of his 60 point game. I can see the form on his shot and it is pure, but his athleticism is on a low end of the scale in terms of guards we have had. All those drives to the basket are going to be denied by anyone with Division I defensive aptitude.
Sort of like Oshae and Harris ha. I agree he is not Flynn athletic but if he comes here and is driving to the hoop on a regular basis we need to sit our staff down and ask What is going on. The kid is going to be a shooter, scrapper, role guy wherever he plays.

Just watched the highlight tape of his 60 point game. I can see the form on his shot and it is pure, but his athleticism is on a low end of the scale in terms of guards we have had. All those drives to the basket are going to be denied by anyone with Division I defensive aptitude.

yet people wonder why we were slow to offer. As much as I like him there are question marks.

yet people wonder why we were slow to offer. As much as I like him there are question marks.

His shot selection last night was questionable at best. I get he has great range, but fadeaway 25 footers aren’t great shots no matter how good of a shooter you are. I also could do away with crying to the officials on every call he doesn’t get. I think he’s a good player, but still prefer Bertram.

Mark Jackson was nonathletic as heck but he went a long ways. Not so much bigger, wasn't a shooter or scorer but he knew his limitations and strengths. This kid is strong, has heart, and can shoot the ball extremely well. Just having him as a long threat is very valuable.

Sort of like Oshae and Harris ha. I agree he is not Flynn athletic but if he comes here and is driving to the hoop on a regular basis we need to sit our staff down and ask What is going on. The kid is going to be a shooter, scrapper, role guy wherever he plays.
Oshae and Harris are/were WAY more athletic than JG is. The issue isn't going to be offense, it would be defensively as he'd be eaten alive.

You could see his lack of athleticism and his work in progress handle that wont work well in college in his videos .

Oshae and Harris are/were WAY more athletic than JG is. The issue isn't going to be offense, it would be defensively as he'd be eaten alive.
Exactly I already talked about this earlier.

Gonna make a bold statement that will anger a lot of people. Secretly in his lair, I would bet that if JG chooses to go elsewhere, JB will not be devastated. Kid is a NYS legend, and is someone who we should bring in for many reasons, but with Brycen, likely Jalen Carey, Hughes and Buddy, I think we will be ok. Francis03 has noted many times, that JG is not the same player that GMAC was, and is also not someone who matches our system that well. It is what it is. Much more concerned about finding a couple big guys, and trying to get someone like Achiuwa to replace Bazley and likely Oshae in 2019.

Gonna make a bold statement that will anger a lot of people. Secretly in his lair, I would bet that if JG chooses to go elsewhere, JB will not be devastated. Kid is a NYS legend, and is someone who we should bring in for many reasons, but with Brycen, likely Jalen Carey, Hughes and Buddy, I think we will be ok. Much more concerned about finding a couple big guys, and trying to get someone like Achiuwa to replace Bazley and likely Oshae in 2019.
It showed how much of a priority he was by how long it took to offer.

I think the sarcasm font button was missed, hence the "ha"...

Gonna make a bold statement that will anger a lot of people. Secretly in his lair, I would bet that if JG chooses to go elsewhere, JB will not be devastated. Kid is a NYS legend, and is someone who we should bring in for many reasons, but with Brycen, likely Jalen Carey, Hughes and Buddy, I think we will be ok. Francis03 has noted many times, that JG is not the same player that GMAC was, and is also not someone who matches our system that well. It is what it is. Much more concerned about finding a couple big guys, and trying to get someone like Achiuwa to replace Bazley and likely Oshae in 2019.
I think, and hope, that JG is being recruited as a developmental player. That he would be one of the program type players that doesn't get much time early - especially with Carey and Hughes. But could, probably would, get more and more time as he progresses.

If JG can accept the offer under those conditions he would be a great long term addition. The future with the JG and Buddy development would be a great change/addition to the outside shooting dynamic for SU.

I think, and hope, that JG is being recruited as a developmental player. That he would be one of the program type players that doesn't get much time early - especially with Carey and Hughes. But could, probably would, get more and more time as he progresses.

If JG can accept the offer under those conditions he would be a great long term addition. The future with the JG and Buddy development would be a great change/addition to the outside shooting dynamic for SU.
JG got offered by Duke.
He isn’t an Andy Rautins developmentally recruit. He will play a decent amount where he goes will determine how quickly.

JG got offered by Duke.
He isn’t an Andy Rautins developmentally recruit. He will play a decent amount where he goes will determine how quickly.
Just because he was offered by Duke does not mean he will play a decent amount there, ever - ask J Tucker. On the other hand, if JB said JG is in his plans to have good minutes at least by his jr and sr years, that means something.

Just because he was offered by Duke does not mean he will play a decent amount there, ever - ask J Tucker. On the other hand, if JB said JG is in his plans to have good minutes at least by his jr and sr years, that means something.
Jordan Tucker left after one semester.
JG wouldn’t.

JGIII is a 2019 recruit. He still has another year to develop. Nobody has him pegged, but the Duke offer shows that he has potential to play at a high level. Let's let him play his senior EYBL year before writing him off as a 'developmental player'

I don’t like the fact that he doesn’t play pg for eybl that raises some red flags. In the videos I’ve watched atleast.

His shot selection last night was questionable at best. I get he has great range, but fadeaway 25 footers aren’t great shots no matter how good of a shooter you are. I also could do away with crying to the officials on every call he doesn’t get. I think he’s a good player, but still prefer Bertram.
That will be corrected in college because bad shots like that and you wont play lol. Im not worried about that. He’s probably trying to put on a show for friends and family as well.

JGIII is a 2019 recruit. He still has another year to develop. Nobody has him pegged, but the Duke offer shows that he has potential to play at a high level. Let's let him play his senior EYBL year before writing him off as a 'developmental player'
Calling him a developmental player is not meant to be an insult. It is meant to differentiate him from the 4-5 star stud that is coming in for immediate playing time.

I think JB takes giving Upstate NY players schollies quite seriously. He has a good track record of playing the people from here who come. I think it should help SU that the odds of JG3 getting J Tucked here are a lot less than at Duke.

...and Michigan, and Oklahoma, and many others.

I can squarely get behind the notion that this kid might not be a great system fit here on paper, but the attention he's garnering on the recruiting trail speaks for itself.

That will be corrected in college because bad shots like that and you wont play lol. Im not worried about that. He’s probably trying to put on a show for friends and family as well.
I've seen JGIII play several times over the past 3 years. He takes a lot of bad shots because the rest of his team is so limited, and his uncle has given him an unlimited green light. He is a terrific shooter and a better passer than you'd think - his handle needs to improve, and I think it will. As several people have said, he will be a good high-major player in the right system (ND or Michigan) where he will get early opportunities. I'm glad we offered, but the fit here isn't ideal for him or for us, unless he really values playing close to home over being a rotational player right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom