Class of 2019 - CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 43 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like a Michigan lean after reading that, just verifies what a couple of us have previously mentioned.

Calling him a developmental player is not meant to be an insult. It is meant to differentiate him from the 4-5 star stud that is coming in for immediate playing time.

I think JB takes giving Upstate NY players schollies quite seriously. He has a good track record of playing the people from here who come. I think it should help SU that the odds of JG3 getting J Tucked here are a lot less than at Duke.
My point is that there's nothing to say that JGIII CAN'T be a 4-5 star stud coming in for immediate playing time. Especially given his most important AAU season hasn't even played out yet.

He will never be a 5 Star stud. He’s not athletic enough. He needs to improve his handle learn how to captain the ship.

He will never be a 5 Star stud. He’s not athletic enough. He needs to improve his handle learn how to captain the ship.
Very few people thought Lydon would come in and have the immediate impact he did, but alas..

Very few people thought Lydon would come in and have the immediate impact he did, but alas..
I thought he could contribute right away, but that has nothing to do with JG’s limitations on being a 5 star stud. Those open looks he see’s in hs wont be there in college, the unathletic players who wont be playing D1 next year wont be defending him.

I thought he could contribute right away, but that has nothing to do with JG’s limitations on being a 5 star stud. Those open looks he see’s in hs wont be there in college, the unathletic players who wont be playing D1 next year wont be defending him.
My post isn't about star rating, it's ability to make an immediate impact. If anything, his shots will be more open in college because he's getting double teamed every night for GF. If JGIII is a third or fourth offensive option, he'll naturally have more open shots than he did in high school, which is exactly what this team needs to space the floor for our slashers.

My post isn't about star rating, it's ability to make an immediate impact. If anything, his shots will be more open in college because he's getting double teamed every night for GF. If JGIII is a third or fourth offensive option, he'll naturally have more open shots than he did in high school, which is exactly what this team needs to space the floor for our slashers.
Double teamed by mediocre players. The level of talent is off the charts on defense between section2 basketball and the ACC. He wont have any open shots in college especially after he proves he can make them.

Double teamed by mediocre players. The level of talent is off the charts on defense between section2 basketball and the ACC. He wont have any open shots in college especially after he proves he can make them.

That's good, opens up the court more for guys to drive in the lane or for guys like Bazley to work in the post.

Girard will be a prolific 3 point shooter for whichever school he chooses. High D1 schools are nothing like section 2 HS. He will not be the focus of opposing teams' schemes or gameplans. The kid will have plenty of open shots as a role player, due to having others around him who command more attention. Its a team game and a good amount of the time, people draw 2nd and 3rd defenders as they drive or re eive the ball in the paint. Leaving shooters like Joe, wide open somewhere behind the 3pt line. If he is not open, then that means they must be face guarding him, which opens the floor for the other four to operate. One less lil' guy trying to dig or swipe the ball away from our bigs is not a bad thing. Would teams face guard both Girard and Buddy and let the game become 3 on 3 for us?

Another trend of late, is that more and more teams are playing zone. Girard would definitely see some open looks from deep if facing a zone. Which could force a team out of the zone, resulting in more driving lanes for others. He could also simply take a step back versus a zone and drill a 3 multiple times, as others repeatedly have done to us. It takes two or three makes from extended range before we push out and extend our zone. What makes people believe other teams who are not nearly as long as us on defense, would push way out before a bunch were made?

I just don't see where the idea that this kid would never see an open look comes from.

He wont have as many open looks as he does in hs. They actually play defense in college. The only wide open looks he will see is on a missed defensive assignments , especially after he proved hes a consistent threat.

yet people wonder why we were slow to offer. As much as I like him there are question marks.
I have yet to see a player that was without question marks. I have seen many sure things over the years that amounted to nothing, and many that people thought were marginal that ended up as stars. The truth is you never know for absolute sure till you get them in your system and see what they can do in competition.
I have seen this kid being double and triple teamed and still being competitive. I doubt anyone wil be able to consistently double much less triple him wherever he goes for college. He will be able to get his points. My biggest question for him will be on the defensive side of the court, and frankly the zone will actually help him on that end of the court.
We need scorers(shooters) it is without question our biggest deficiency, I would love to have a chance to see where this kid can fit in at SU, but he will play somewhere and be decent somewhere.

Good shooters seem to get open looks against us.

Good shooters seem to get open looks against us.
Because Players late to rotate , not because of lack of defense. Some people act like shooters get wide open looks all game because of other scoring threats on the team.

JG got offered by Duke.
He isn’t an Andy Rautins developmentally recruit. He will play a decent amount where he goes will determine how quickly.

Duke follows us on purpose, how much did Tucker play? Keep your enemies closer, Coach K has JB at his fingertips.

just read the article, doesn't read like Orange, how about we post 43 pages worth of love on the kids pages that we think want to play at SU, if he signs w/ Cuse, great, but horrible read

Ohio State: “It was a great visit. They have some of the best facilities in the world. Coach (Chris) Holtmann is doing a really good job there. It is only his first year there and he doesn’t have any of his recruits yet, but he has brought the team to a nationally ranking and is going to make the tournament so that just shows how great of a coaching staff they have, how they trust their players and can get their team to play how they want. They have a really good system there, good facilities and a really nice place. They have really great people and they win a lot of games, which makes it even better.”

Michigan: “It was really amazing to get that offer. My dad was really excited about it having played for coach (John) Beilein and he knows exactly what he is like and what you have to do to play for him. That is a big one and it is very systematic there; you have to be able to fit in to coach Beilein’s system and trust his process, as well, because he does it by the book as he won’t even offer you until June 15. He is one of those that is a really great coach that does it the right way and makes sure all of his players are really good kids and someone that you want to be around in the locker room. I think that is one that got it all really started for me and he is a permanent coach that everyone else trusts which is why everyone else followed after. I had all these guys on me waiting around to see their 2018 rosters but coach Beilein is the one that led it all off and is someone that I have gotten to know a little bit, and I am just looking forward to keeping my relationship with them.”

Syracuse: “Having the in-state school offer you is something that you always work for and always kind of want. When that one came, it was big. They have two guys on the staff that are kind of just like me with G-Mac (

Gerry McNamara
) and
Eric Devendorf
. They are just tough and want to win. Coach (Jim) Boeheim has been doing a really good job of making sure that they have a winning tradition there. I was really excited when I got that one just to know that the home state school was going to give me the option to play there, which everyone in New York wants to see.”

Oklahoma: “It is another guard-oriented school. They had

Buddy Hield
before and now they have
Trae Young
; two guys that are scoring guards that can lead the team as well to get some wins. Oklahoma plays in the Big 12 which is one of the best conferences, if not the best, this year, and it offers great competition with really great people around it. Coach (Carlin) Hartmanand my dad actually played in a few camps back in the day so my dad actually knew him a little bit and he came up to see me recently. He is a really great guy and coach (Lon) Kruger has done a really good job of reaching out every now and again and making sure that I am staying up with Oklahoma and they are staying up with me. I really like Oklahoma and what they have to offer and it is just a really great school that has had guards like me and know how to play.”

Rutgers: “Coach (Steve) Pikiell is just trying to get it done and turned around, which has basically been the pitch with me – to be different and do something that no one else has done before and lead them to a Big Ten championship and to the NCAA Tournament. He is just telling me to be different and to turn the program around which is definitely intriguing to be new and not follow everyone else’s lead. He is just doing a really good job of making sure that they are up and coming.”

Duke: “I had a really great time there. It is Duke, so there isn’t much else to say other than they have great tradition and one of the greatest coaches, if not the greatest coach, of all time. To win as many games as they do and to offer the academics and basketball is pretty incredible and is definitely something that I am going to remember and will be in the back of my head throughout the rest of this recruiting process. I could go there and Coach K believes in me. He needs players that bring leadership and toughness, obviously along with the one-and-dones that he has been getting, but he has been saying that he needs to get the leadership and toughness, and that I am probably the best shooter in the country right now. It is just great to know that he believes in me and that the program believes in me and they have also had guys like me with

Greg Paulus
and coach (Bobby) Hurley, so they have just been doing a really good job recently of picking up the heat with me and recruiting me really hard right now. I am getting closer with Duke and really like what they have to offer as well.”

WHAT'S NEXT?
It has been a busy few weeks for Girard, both on the hardwood and on the recruiting trail, though no visits are scheduled.

“I don’t have anything else planned for now,” he said. “We have the playoffs and then AAU will be starting but for now, nothing is planned.”

While many believed that a commitment would take place following his offer from Michigan and then Duke, Girard remains open to the process.

“Right now, I am just trying to get to know everybody and see what they have and what they want. They are beginning to get close with me and my family and I really like that,” he said. “The plan is to have it done before my senior basketball season, whether that comes this week, next week, or in the fall, I don’t know but when I feel like it is the right time and my family has talked it over, along with coach (Jim) Hart and my other coaches, then I will make my decision. But it will definitely be done before my senior basketball season.”

RIVALS' REACTION
Girard, who attends the same high school as former BYU star

Jimmer Fredette
, was a top perimeter shooter playing up a year on the Nike EYBL circuit last summer with the Albany City Rocks program and continues to cement his standing as one of the most prolific scorers in recent memory.

Girard’s recruitment has gone from local, to regional, to now a blueblood affair with Duke involved with an offer. The Blue Devils, Michigan, Ohio State, Syracuse, Oklahoma, Rutgers and a number of others are expected to remain heavily involved until he does decide to call off his recruitment.

He wont have as many open looks as he does in hs. They actually play defense in college. The only wide open looks he will see is on a missed defensive assignments , especially after he proved hes a consistent threat.
Not one person is expecting JGIII to average 50 points in college. But what he can bring to the court is the ability to knock down threes and open the court for four other players. Cuse has done well in the past with guys who can shoot the three. Like myself and others have said, a three point shot is a three point shot, no matter what court you are on. We will have a full complement of scholarships. This kid definitely deserves one.

Not one person is expecting JGIII to average 50 points in college. But what he can bring to the court is the ability to knock down threes and open the court for four other players. Cuse has done well in the past with guys who can shoot the three. Like myself and others have said, a three point shot is a three point shot, no matter what court you are on. We will have a full complement of scholarships. This kid definitely deserves one.
Yes he does deserve a scholarship, never said he doesn’t. People are getting enamored with his 50 points a game.

People are getting enamored with his 50 points a game.
Probably because no one else in NYS history has ever done it before. But no one is comparing Class B Section 2 to the ACC conference. We just want a kid who can put the ball in the basket. One other point though. I do think he is more athletic than you and others are giving him credit for. You don't win a state championship in football and be state player of the year two years running if you aren't athletic. Is he as athletic as GMAC. Hard to tell, but GMAC had nagging injuries for a bit. Girard is a gamer. I would bet money that since his loss last night, that he was in the gym today already working on what he feels his weaknesses are.

Yes he does deserve a scholarship, never said he doesn’t. People are getting enamored with his 50 points a game.

People are enamored with someone averaging 50, in 32 minute games. It means he can make shotS, something we have lacked of late.

No one in here believes he would average that in college. I don't think there is anyone that thinks he would even average 20 a game. Kid has the ability to contribute early and get around 16 points a game as an upperclassman, sometimes scoring more. He will never be the sole offense like he is at GF. He could go off at times, but I don't see him being the volume scorer at the next level, like he is in high school. He'll always have to share the rock with others at a high major. Coaches are not just gonna say go take 30 shots and get me 50, like his uncle probably does.

Probably because no one else in NYS history has ever done it before. But no one is comparing Class B Section 2 to the ACC conference. We just want a kid who can put the ball in the basket. One other point though. I do think he is more athletic than you and others are giving him credit for. You don't win a state championship in football and be state player of the year two years running if you aren't athletic. Is he as athletic as GMAC. Hard to tell, but GMAC had nagging injuries for a bit. Girard is a gamer. I would bet money that since his loss last night, that he was in the gym today already working on what he feels his weaknesses are.
I don't remember GMAC being very athletic at all - if, by athletic we mean speed, hops, and change of direction.

A couple things from this thread- Coach K and Duke are not defensively recruiting against us. Delusions of grandeur.

Additionally, no need to over analyze. He's a legit recruit for any team in the country. Hope we get him.

You know, you're right. Jimmer never got good looks. Oh wait, he was bigger...oops. Maybe more athletic or stronger...oops. I guess they just didn't defend him. Being a great shooter off picks and curls, having a quick release, and having different zip code range is a great equalizer. Yes, he will get beat but everybody does. There are not many defensive stoppers any more.

You know, you're right. Jimmer never got good looks. Oh wait, he was bigger...oops. Maybe more athletic or stronger...oops. I guess they just didn't defend him. Being a great shooter off picks and curls, having a quick release, and having different zip code range is a great equalizer. Yes, he will get beat but everybody does. There are not many defensive stoppers any more.
Yes exactly coming of picks or curls not because lack of defense,DESIGNED PLAYS TO TRY TO GET AN OPEN LOOK LOL. and that’s not guaranteed an open look. THEY PLAY DEFENSE IN COLLEGE.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors