Class of 2019 - CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 44 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
druLoH

Top_Ten3_PFG.png

This is chart is part of the reason why I JGIII so badly… teams are shooting threes more than ever. All of the top 10 teams in the country are in the top third in the nation in 3PFG%, with half of them in the top 40. Six of the top 10 teams have four or more players who shoot 37%+, and the other four teams have three. For reference, our best shooter on the season (Frank) is at 34%.

We always have great athletes that can put the ball on the floor, but having knock down shooters keeps defenses honest and provides lanes for our slashers. These types of players would help us take the next step back towards where we want to be.

druLoH

Top_Ten3_PFG.png

This is chart is part of the reason why I JGIII so badly… teams are shooting threes more than ever. All of the top 10 teams in the country are in the top third in the nation in 3PFG%, with half of them in the top 40. Six of the top 10 teams have four or more players who shoot 37%+, and the other four teams have three. For reference, our best shooter on the season (Frank) is at 34%.

We always have great athletes that can put the ball on the floor, but having knock down shooters keeps defenses honest and provides lanes for our slashers. These types of players would help us take the next step back towards where we want to be.
That chart just screams ugly so many different ways. It's almost hard to believe that Cuse is over .500 for the year and a chance to go .500 in conference play. Buddy should do well but JGIII would be the icing on the cake.

Very few people thought Lydon would come in and have the immediate impact he did, but alas..

That's not what I recall. I actually remember most people thinking he would (especially former 'Cuse players who saw him in action when he got to campus).

Gonna make a bold statement that will anger a lot of people. Secretly in his lair, I would bet that if JG chooses to go elsewhere, JB will not be devastated. Kid is a NYS legend, and is someone who we should bring in for many reasons, but with Brycen, likely Jalen Carey, Hughes and Buddy, I think we will be ok. Francis03 has noted many times, that JG is not the same player that GMAC was, and is also not someone who matches our system that well. It is what it is. Much more concerned about finding a couple big guys, and trying to get someone like Achiuwa to replace Bazley and likely Oshae in 2019.

Regardless you shouldn’t lose a player like this I. Our own frickin state. Have you watched the games lately? We need all the players we can get

druLoH

Top_Ten3_PFG.png

Holy crackers. Villanova has SIX guys shooting over 37% from 3? How close have we come to such a staggering statistic?

Holy crackers. Villanova has SIX guys shooting over 37% from 3? How close have we come to such a staggering statistic?
Not 6 different people, but last year?

Anyone watching BC last night thinking JGIII would fit in great in this system with all the spacing they create? I know he wouldn't get all those open looks in the ACC, well except for last night I guess.

Regardless you shouldn’t lose a player like this I. Our own frickin state. Have you watched the games lately? We need all the players we can get

Carey and Boeheim are from our own state too. You can’t get everybody. If he doesn’t come here, it’s only a problem if the guards we do have don’t get the job done.

I remember some people bringing up why didn’t Cuse get Jimmer Fredette...meanwhile we had NY State kids - Andy Rautins, Jonny Flynn(same class as Jimmer), and Brandon Triche here over the course of his college career, as well as other good guards like Devendorf and Scoop.

druLoH

Top_Ten3_PFG.png

Good chart illustrating why our approach is looking so dated. You need shooters, as in at least 3-5 of them. This is what college basketball is right now.

Good chart illustrating why our approach is looking so dated. You need shooters, as in at least 3-5 of them. This is what college basketball is right now.

We started 4 good 3 point shooters just last year. I don’t think it was an intentional approach this year. Missing on Tucker was big, in this regard.

We started 4 good 3 point shooters just last year. I don’t think it was an intentional approach this year. Missing on Tucker was big, in this regard.

Last year was best shooting team we probably ever had. And we missed the tournament! What that tells me... Well it's not good.

yes and no

white was fabulous
gillon was small and had a slow release so except for a few big games, he often could not get his shot off.
battle is so so from three
lydon kept using the silly pump fake, so he gave the defenses time to close.

so in terms of guys with a combination of accuracy and ability to get off a reasonably quick three, we really only had andrew.

yes and no

white was fabulous
gillon was small and had a slow release so except for a few big games, he often could not get his shot off.
battle is so so from three
lydon kept using the silly pump fake, so he gave the defenses time to close.

so in terms of guys with a combination of accuracy and ability to get off a reasonably quick three, we really only had andrew.

Battle made 60 3’s on .366.
Gillon made 54 3’s on .419
Lydon made 49 3’s on .395

Yes, White was by far the best. But we had 3 other guys that made a good amount of 3’s on good shooting percentages.

Battle made 60 3’s on .366.
Gillon made 54 3’s on .419
Lydon made 49 3’s on .395

Yes, White was by far the best. But we had 3 other guys that made a good amount of 3’s on good shooting percentages.
it is interesting that only andrew was able to average over two made treys per game and he averaged well over three. so despite very good shooting percentages, it shows tyler and john had trouble getting off their shots consistently, which was my point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom