Class of 2019 - CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 52 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
O'Connell made 3 visits. We were one of them. Same as Tucker.
he was the son of a duke player, so he was probably always theirs for the taking. in checking links on his recruiting, we were mentioned, but we were probably no better than third on his list after louisville.

if you want to say duke hurt us on oconnell, that is reasonable but it was far from a tucker situation where he was clearly ours if not them.

our current class including hughes even wo bazley is strong, would have been over the top w baz. might not even be done w bras and/or osun. goodine is a more than solid start to the next class.

w bras and osun we would have foundation in place, and then the staff could really focus on the gravy players.

recruiting is improving, lets give the staff some slack until we see how the next class winds up.

It’s a weird narrative. People were freaking out acting like our recruiting sucked last year because there wasn’t some pretty numbers on it and online hype from dorks who don’t really know what they’re talking about anyway. Would’ve thought Brissett and Marek would’ve put an end to that, but guess not.

How are they not hurting us? They just swiped Tucker and O'Connell from us a year ago at times that we really wanted both. Now they might be taking the 2 best upstate recruits in the past handful of years in the '19 class. All the while, we are still digging through the junkyard of the '18 class just hoping to find guys worthy of a scholarship so that we can possibly have 5 on 5 practices with all D1 scholarship players.

Brissett and Dolezaj are both worlds better than Tucker and that kid with the weird haircut. But we were “digging through the junkyard” for Brissett and Dolezaj. At least that was the narrative on here. Worst SU recruiting class ever and everything, at least at this time last year on here.

We were one Marek foul away from beating Duke in the dance.

Brissett and Dolezaj are both worlds better than Tucker and that kid with the weird haircut. But we were “digging through the junkyard” for Brissett and Dolezaj. At least that was the narrative on here. Worst SU recruiting class ever and everything, at least at this time last year on here.

We were one Marek foul away from beating Duke in the dance.
Brissett was a top 5 freshman imo. Marek has a lot to prove and sustain before I’ll agree he’s better than Tucker may have been for us.

Brissett was a top 5 freshman imo. Marek has a lot to prove and sustain before I’ll agree he’s better than Tucker may have been for us.
wow, usually like your thoughts, but to not be convinced that hard working, very smart, rapidly improving marek is not way better for us than is head case tucker is a bit shocking to me.

marek will not only sustain, but he will be able to take on whatever role will help the team the most, hardly the tucker profile.

Marek was a starter and key player on a sweet 16 team. Tucker ain’t nobody. He’s the one with something to prove and sustain because all he’s done so far is sit the bench for half a season and quit a team.

Your opinion is wrong. The kid had a solid freshman year but top 5?

We joined around the same time, when you first started posting you posted your legit thoughts, now I can't tellI'm if you're trolling, high, fishing for likes, or have no idea what you're talking about in general.

We joined around the same time, when you first started posting you posted your legit thoughts, now I can't tellI'm if you're trolling, high, fishing for likes, or have no idea what you're talking about in general.
Ok top 5 may be a stretch but top 10? It’s a fair fair argument

Brisset nearly averaged a double double in the best conference in cbb. Not many freshman performances more impressive than that, regardless of fg pct.

Marek’s gotta be more decisive about what he’s going to do when he gets the ball. He made huge strides in the tournament and now its about maintaining the agressiveness and consistency. Cost our offense not stepping up and taking shots during conference play. There were entire games where you essentially didnt have to step up on him because he wouldnt shoot, open or not.

Tucker was a top 50 recruit who made a poor commitment decision. We’ve had bigger headcases in our program. Not going to sit here and pretend he wouldnt have had a positive impact on our last seasons rotation. Who knows.

Ok top 5 may be a stretch but top 10? It’s a fair fair argument
There are currently 10 freshman who are mocked to go in the top 12 in the draft this year. OB likely wouldn't have gone til late second if he left this year. So not a knock on him (this was just a really strong class) but he's not anywhere close to top 5, or top 10.

Theres acknowledging a players work ethic and admirable attitude. There’s also being realistic on what they need to improve on in order to further assist the team.

There are currently 10 freshman who are mocked to go in the top 12 in the draft this year. OB likely wouldn't have gone til late second if he left this year. So not a knock on him (this was just a really strong class) but he's not anywhere close to top 5, or top 10.
For what su needed id take him over lonnie walker and im sure quite a few others on that list of 12.

Last edited:
Brisset nearly averaged a double double in the best conference in cbb. Not many freshman performances more impressive than that, regardless of fg pct.

He averaged 38 minutes a game, he should be averaging close to a double double at his position and lack of other rebounders on the team.

His shooting percentage from inside and out are bad and he doesn't even average an assist a game.

The talent is there, but he has a ton of work to do even to be a first rounder next year.

He averaged 38 minutes a game, he should be averaging close to a double double at his position and lack of other rebounders on the team.

His shooting percentage from inside and out are bad and he doesn't even average an assist a game.

The talent is there, but he has a ton of work to do even to be a first rounder next year.
Id argue the extended minutes hurt his stats rather than padded them. Seeing as he was a freshman and even the top cbb players aren’t made for nearly 40 mins straight of acc competition.

I understand why what I posted was reacted to as it was. I have extreme confidence in Brissett. I love marek too but he’s got a ways to go. Think he’s nearing boeheim levels of being above criticism on this board. He progressed greatly his freshman year, will be a weapon if he continues it his sophomore year.

Id argue the extended minutes hurt his stats rather than padded them. Seeing as he was a freshman and even the top cbb players aren’t made for nearly 40 mins straight of acc competition.

I understand why what I posted was reacted to as it was. I have extreme confidence in Brissett. I love marek too but he’s got a ways to go. Think he’s nearing boeheim levels of being above criticism on this board. He progressed greatly his freshman year, will be a weapon if he continues it his sophomore year.

Eh, I think the Marek love is because he clearly “gets it”. He’s a smart player that’s all about playing winning basketball and that’s it. He’s got that Josh Pace quality to his game where he’s kind of a unique player that’s just going to play to his strengths and hustle and try to help the team win. And this was as a freshman. As he matures physically and continues to adapt to the college game, he should only get better.

I think due to his height and potential to become an outside shooter(Josh’s broken J limited his upside) he’s got more potential than Josh. Just comparing them b-ball IQ wise. They’re both guys you want on your team.

I’m not worried about our recruiting whether we get Girard or not. Any concerns I did have were alleviated with our past freshman class. As someone said above, if Girard wants to come to Cuse, you certainly happily take him. Local kid and an elite shooter. Can’t argue with that. At the same time, if we don’t get him I don’t think it signifies anything. It’s not some big dramatic statement of concern time like some would certainly want to make it be for some reason.

Eh, I think the Marek love is because he clearly “gets it”. He’s a smart player that’s all about playing winning basketball and that’s it. He’s got that Josh Pace quality to his game where he’s kind of a unique player that’s just going to play to his strengths and hustle and try to help the team win. And this was as a freshman. As he matures physically and continues to adapt to the college game, he should only get better.

I think due to his height and potential to become an outside shooter(Josh’s broken J limited his upside) he’s got more potential than Josh. Just comparing them b-ball IQ wise. They’re both guys you want on your team.
Won’t/can’t argue that. Next step wise, i’d just like to see marek ready to step into the open 18 footer when he catches the ball between the elbow and perimeter. He’s a legitimate threat from that range right now, he’s just got to assert himself and draw defenders. That alone will open the lane and free up space for our guards to stop pounding the ball around the perimeter, or brissett chuckin a shot clock beat perimeter clanker.

Won’t/can’t argue that. Next step wise, i’d just like to see marek ready to step into the open 18 footer when he catches the ball between the elbow and perimeter. He’s a legitimate threat from that range right now, he’s just got to assert himself and draw defenders. That alone will open the lane and free up space for our guards to stop pounding the ball around the perimeter, or brissett chuckin a shot clock beat perimeter clanker.

He showed signs of being able to make that shot last year. I think he will develop it, because he seems to have the skill, hand eye coordination, and mechanics to do so. And I think he’s also got the smarts to know when to take it. I like a guy who takes shots he knows he can make rather than one who just jacks them(and probably misses) because conventional wisdom says that’s what you’re “supposed to do”.

Marek’s gotta be more decisive about what he’s going to do when he gets the ball. He made huge strides in the tournament and now its about maintaining the agressiveness and consistency. Cost our offense not stepping up and taking shots during conference play. There were entire games where you essentially didnt have to step up on him because he wouldnt shoot, open or not.

Tucker was a top 50 recruit who made a poor commitment decision. We’ve had bigger headcases in our program. Not going to sit here and pretend he wouldnt have had a positive impact on our last seasons rotation. Who knows.

One word. freshman! He was outstanding for a frosh.

Question. He’s clearly the more dedicated volume shooter and scorer..

But is Girard head and shoulders better than Mika?

Think of zone fits, athleticism and guard talent. Woods didnt have the record scoring numbers but he doesnt seem on a lower level than girard in aau comp.

If Girard seriously entertains playing football too would Cuse or Duke be a better fit for him? Is he even capable of 2 sports?

Question. He’s clearly the more dedicated volume shooter and scorer..

But is Girard head and shoulders better than Mika?

Think of zone fits, athleticism and guard talent. Woods didnt have the record scoring numbers but he doesnt seem on a lower level than girard in aau comp.

Having seen both in person Girard is the better player.

Having seen both in person Girard is the better player.
Would you say hes worth going up against dUke and 20+ programs rather than just grabbing quality depth? Thinking about concentration of efforts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom