Class of 2019 - CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 54 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
We. Need. More. Shooters. The majority of top 10 teams have 4+ guys who shoot 37% from deep. We... do not. Buddy and JGIII (or any other shooter for that matter) are not mutually exclusive.

But they don't all play the same position.

I have seen JG3 and Bertram play. Bertram is an impressive shooter. What I see in Girard is much more. You can't put intangibles on a scale and weigh them. I feel like saying no, or being indifferent to this kid is like saying no to GMac. I hope he say yes to us. I hope he coexists with Buddy. I hope he goes Orange. There will be no regrets. Am I right? Just a feeling, a guess. I am old enough to remember that many people thought Larry Bird would not star in the NBA he was too slow, too lacking in athleticism. Not saying Girard is Bird, of course. Just saying not everyone fits the mold. Those who don't bring different gifts, in feel, instinct, desire, etc. Don't sleep on this kid.

He’s a good player, but saying he’s better than Goodine at anything is not backed up by any quantifiable statistic.

He’s a good player, but saying he’s better than Goodine at anything is not backed up by any quantifiable statistic.
I didn't say that. I haven't seen Goodine. I do think he is bettef than good. Intangibles are by definition not quantifiable.

You mean we could actually have depth? How terrible would that be?

I agree that we need depth and we need multiple shooters. But in our system that typically means guys that play multiple positions in our system (e.g. can Girard credibly play minutes at PG? because I don't think he is big enough to get minutes as a 3 in our system.) We need players at PG, SG and SF that call all shoot the ball.

It isn't realistic to build depth by recruiting 3 top 100 type players at the same position, especially the way JB manages his roster. I personally believe that you have to be able to credibly argue that you would be able to use those guys simultaneously at multiple positions (because they all naturally slot into a SG position) in order to have a chance of landing them. For example; argue that Buddy could get time at small forward and Goodine at PG making some minutes available for Girard if he's the 3rd in the door (3rd in terms of timing not necessarily 3rd most deserving of PT). If you are only likely to use them all at SG, there are only 40 mpg available at the position and JB doesn't typically dole out 10 mpg doses of playing time to lots of guys because that time has to come off of his starter's tally.

You can make lots of conceptual arguments about how the PT can be equitably doled out, but if you really look at history we almost never go more than 7-1/2 deep with the 2-1/2 subs made up of a center, a guard and a forward. Regresses to 7-1/2 players where you have guys that give you minutes at both guard and forward or forward and center. Expands to 8 when your backups are less versatile.

You havent seen Goodine play if you are saying that. Bettet shooter? I’ll give that to JG but every other aspect of offense including playmaker is Goodine

I will take the best shooter every time, but no reason not to try and get both.

Goodine is averaging 19 a game shooting 39% from 3 in EYBL play.

Girard is averaging 13 a game on 36% from 3.

There’s nothing that Girard is better than Goodine at. Check out the stats people.
And he’s way more athletic as well. Although Girard has improved his handle. He still has work to do.

We have a commitment from Goodine, have offered and are recruiting Girard. So are we not trying to get both?

Did you not read the original post I was replying to? so yea I know that. Original post had to do with him ever getting playing time if he came here.

It’s safe to say that Duke has better guards than SU and that doesn’t seem to deter Girard from potentially going to Duke. Duke will continue to over recruit players and that doens’t seem to phase any of the players that go there. When it comes to recruiting, SU is not in the same stratosphere as Duke. SU could potentially have everyone returning next next year and Duke will lose everyone and Duke will still be favored to win the ACC. That says it all.

"Joseph Girard already sits as the leading scorer in New York state history and has yet to begin his senior year. The prolific shooter has made great strides within his game of late, showing the ability to defend his position and also create for others. Girard holds offers from Duke, Syracuse, Michigan and Ohio State, with many other programs tracking his progress.

Many believed that Girard could make an early commitment but things seemed to have slowed down some with his recruitment. At this point, I expect him to cut his list by mid-June. The four programs already mentioned should have a good shot of making his final list.

Duke was thought to be a favorite for Girard after offering in the winter, but Michigan sits in a prime spot, too. Girard’s father played for John Beilein at Le Moyne and the family is high on Michigan. The Buckeyes are doing their part to remain in the mix but the local Syracuse program should not be discounted as they could be the dark horse for the Rivals150 junior.

Other programs, including Notre Dame, Rutgers and Boston College, remain in contention as well. While pinpointing the single favorite is a bit difficult, I would be shocked if he does not end up at either Syracuse, Duke or Michigan."

I fully expect Michigan. Would be good to develop a solid perimeter player behind carey and hughes though. May the best of him, buddy and howard washington rise to the top if so

He seems like a kid who finds a role in a system like ND or Michigan or quite frankly Nova. Systems where spacing and deep shooting are mandated.

I just wonder between now and the time Girard decides if Coach K will have already recruited over him
Coach K is probably already recruiting over 6th graders.

I wonder if Battle returning would open any eyes for recruits. Maybe playing for Boeheim isn't such a bad thing. That Sweet Sixteen run was pretty special. This years team can be special. Does he want to be part of a special team two years from now. All being done within driving distance to home.

Given the Tyus news and the idea that it will most likely turn Carey into at least a 2 year guy, I would think this closes the door on Girard? We will have Goodine, Carey, Buddy, and Washington, potentially Hughes as G’s in 2019. Does Joe want a cleaner path to PT early? Love to grab him, but I think the sell just got harder last night. Which btw is a good thing imo.

Last edited:
Given the Tyus news and the idea that it will most likely turn Carey into at least a 2 year guy, I would think this closes the door on Girard? We will have Goodine, Carey, Buddy, and Washington, potentially Hughes as G’s in 2019. Does Joe want a cleaner path to PT early? Love go grab him, but I think the sell just got harder last night. Which btw is a good thing imo.
Didn't even consider what this would do for guard recruiting of 2019...was just sooo happy he is back! You're right though, it will be a very tough sell. Although JG's shooting would be such a fabulous addition, I'd take a junior TB 100 times out of 10 even if it costs us a shooter like JG.

I just wonder between now and the time Girard decides if Coach K will have already recruited over him
He'll see the Court there.

1527771682873.jpeg

It’s safe to say that Duke has better guards than SU and that doesn’t seem to deter Girard from potentially going to Duke. Duke will continue to over recruit players and that doens’t seem to phase any of the players that go there. When it comes to recruiting, SU is not in the same stratosphere as Duke. SU could potentially have everyone returning next next year and Duke will lose everyone and Duke will still be favored to win the ACC. That says it all.
You sound like Tucker -- hopefully, Joe (who's not a 5-star) will see through that kind of Duke-hype. To be fair, it's possible that the UM system would suit him - and I think he would thrive in the zone at SU. Either way, both teams will have guard competition and Joe would have to earn time and adjust to college ball. Duke, OTOH, is a totally different scene. I don't care if K loses everyone including the waterboy .. JG will get buried on the bench in 2 seconds. He might as well buy season tickets there.

Last edited:
Given the Tyus news and the idea that it will most likely turn Carey into at least a 2 year guy, I would think this closes the door on Girard? We will have Goodine, Carey, Buddy, and Washington, potentially Hughes as G’s in 2019. Does Joe want a cleaner path to PT early? Love to grab him, but I think the sell just got harder last night. Which btw is a good thing imo.

I would guess the sell/pitch to him or any guard recruit is that we lose both starting guards and that the positions are up for grabs based on performance.

Well I remember when people were saying Caleb was sooo good(not). Goodine may or may not be as good as you think therefore I would like to get Girard if possible. Not a knock on Goodine but the truth is you just never know who will be a player and who will not, as someone else noted the intangibles play larger role than most people think.
From a team standpoint I hope Goodine is the second coming of Dave Bing, but I kind of doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom