Class of 2019 - CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 85 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gmac had no issues scoring in Boeheims offense and I consider them to be similar in skill set

GMAC had no issues scoring? Dude shot 40% as a freshman and got worse each season, finishing around 35%. Shot 33% from 3 as a senior, 34% from 3 as a junior. He also only got to the line about 3.5 times a game as a junior and senior -- that's roughly how often Frank got there last year playing slow-down, rock fight style offense. Point being he didn't have a ton of success drawing contact to get to the line.

Not trying to knock GMac who shouldered an enormous load for those teams, but to say we did a great job of helping him create looks is misguided, IMO.

BC, and like-schools, can offer more/immediate playing time. If he comes to The Harvard of CNY, a red-shirt year might be in his future. That said, 5 years of 70k+ scholarships with an opportunity to graduate early AND get a Masters doesn't sound bad to me.

He wouldn't redshirt. The only guys that redshirt here are guys who are really young and/or really raw. Braswell is a potential redshirt but it's guys like that, not girard.

I don’t think the log jam at guard was cited as a reason to stop recruiting Girard, I think it was cited as a reason he could choose BC over SU.

It was in response to questioning who fans would want more and listing Washington and Hughes as 2 more guards.

"We have Goodine who is a top 100 player joining Carey and Buddy next year. That's not even counting Washington and Hughes.

Would people rather have Goodine or Girard?"

I don’t know anyone that doesn’t want him but his NYS scoring record is basically deception. The league is mediocre and gives a false sense of a pistol pete super scorer. I played in that league when i was in High school so I know it pretty well. When he plays for the city rocks his scoring comes back to reality.

Having competed against and watched Wally Szczerbiak during High School when his team would advance deep into the playoffs at the lowest level of Long Island High School Basketball, my opinion is that you must treat each and every prospect and their league and numbers individually and not lump all in as being the same.

This was during the same time period when "can't miss" prospect Tavorris Bell starred for another High School, same County, in a higher division (my division and he dunked on me off an in-bounds play from underneath the basket), that wound up playing with Lamar Odom at URI and subsequently in a street ball league and for the Globetrotters for a few years.

Not exactly the kind of career that Wally wound up having.

Having competed against and watched Wally Szczerbiak during High School when his team would advance deep into the playoffs at the lowest level of Long Island High School Basketball, my opinion is that you must treat each and every prospect and their league and numbers individually and not lump all in as being the same.

This was during the same time period when "can't miss" prospect Tavorris Bell starred for another High School, same County, in a higher division (my division and he dunked on me off an in-bounds play from underneath the basket), that wound up playing with Lamar Odom at URI and subsequently in a street ball league and for the Globetrotters for a few years.

Not exactly the kind of career that Wally wound up having.
I agree and I’ll add joe will never be an NBA player either.

GMAC had no issues scoring? Dude shot 40% as a freshman and got worse each season, finishing around 35%. Shot 33% from 3 as a senior, 34% from 3 as a junior. He also only got to the line about 3.5 times a game as a junior and senior -- that's roughly how often Frank got there last year playing slow-down, rock fight style offense. Point being he didn't have a ton of success drawing contact to get to the line.

Not trying to knock GMac who shouldered an enormous load for those teams, but to say we did a great job of helping him create looks is misguided, IMO.

You honestly think he got worse as a shooter each year?

Trevor Cooney says hi!

Absolutely fair point -- just feel basketball has changed so much just in the past couple years. Kids don't sit around and if a redshirt is in play, it would have to be talked about up front (IMO) and that would seem like a huge hurdle to get over recruiting against a school like BC that wouldn't be putting that out there. Guys don't like to sit for a few games even if they're injured (like our boy Geno Thorpe), let alone a full year. If Duke and UM and Cuse are showing you love in recruiting, my guess is you're planning on playing in some way shape or form as a frosh in today's game.

I even think the Cooney situation was pretty rare at the time. How many other guards have redshirted? I'm sure there are others but it's pretty rare.

You honestly think he got worse as a shooter each year?

I'm not sure where I said that? His numbers got worse due to the load being placed upon him, but my only point was it wasn't as if we did a particularly good job creating open looks for him the way Duke does for dudes like Langdon or reddick, etc. I don't think it means he can't be successful here but I'm in agreement with those who wonder a little bit about the fit.

All evidence points to a BC vs. Syracuse battle. I believe Syracuse has come on strong more recently (especially since the OV), whereas BC has been one of two or three frontrunners all along. Syracuse coming on strong seems to coincide with Notre Dame fading, which indicates that proximity is increasingly important to him (and these two schools are essentially equidistant from Glens Falls...its whether to take a left or a right on to I-90), and it also indicates that he had a really good OV in June. That the BC visit is happening so close to decision time tells me that 1) he's been a BC lean all along OR 2) the BC OV is essentially perfunctory. Either way, I'd think he's already 99% made up his mind.

Just my two cents, as a new poster.

It's insane to think some fans don't want Girard. The kid can flat out shoot from anywhere, is tough as nails, and is a winner. A Gmac clone in my opinion. He may have some shortcomings and may not be a perfect fit for the zone but that didn't seem to be a problem for Gmac. If I'm not mistaken we won our only NC with Gmac starting and playing a vital role. Also won two big east tournament titles in his era. Girard is not going to have to score 20 ppg, but will be a four year player who will be contribute and bring a winning attitude. And he's a local kid who will bring a flock of fans from the capital region every game. Sign me up for him every day and twice on Sundays!
I've been following Syracuse and college basketball for my entire life... and Girard is the type of kid that can become embodiment of the team... one with tenacious desire and heart. Any program is better off when they have a kid who can flat out shoot like Girard has shown he can. GMAC put this program on his back his Sr. year and who can ever forget that run through the BE tournament and the herculean performances that GMAC left out on the Garden floor. Sign me up for more of that. The kid is a winner... period. I think he would be a wonderful get for the Orange.

I've been following Syracuse and college basketball for my entire life... and Girard is the type of kid that can become embodiment of the team... one with tenacious desire and heart. Any program is better off when they have a kid who can flat out shoot like Girard has shown he can. GMAC put this program on his back his Sr. year and who can ever forget that run through the BE tournament and the herculean performances that GMAC left out on the Garden floor. Sign me up for more of that. The kid is a winner... period. I think he would be a wonderful get for the Orange.
To piggyback: Absolutely. The guy's a gamer w/a gym rat mentality. Let's give him the Dome canvass to paint on.
They say you can't coach speed or height, but you also can't coach 50 ppg. And I believe they only play 8 min quarters in HS. At least they did when I played at Henninger.

I don’t think Him visiting another school means bad news for Syracuse nor does it mean good news. He’s just exploring his options and it could mean he’s making sure Syracuse is the choice. This could also mean it could be done with this weekend. Regardless this will be done soon.

An upstate kid doing due dilligence and fitting in a visit to boston college should not be unusual to anybody.

Absolutely fair point -- just feel basketball has changed so much just in the past couple years. Kids don't sit around and if a redshirt is in play, it would have to be talked about up front (IMO) and that would seem like a huge hurdle to get over recruiting against a school like BC that wouldn't be putting that out there. Guys don't like to sit for a few games even if they're injured (like our boy Geno Thorpe), let alone a full year. If Duke and UM and Cuse are showing you love in recruiting, my guess is you're planning on playing in some way shape or form as a frosh in today's game.

I even think the Cooney situation was pretty rare at the time. How many other guards have redshirted? I'm sure there are others but it's pretty rare.
Scoop jardine says hi

Girard is going to help any program. No question. But, I posted a few pages earlier. Cooney is a decent comparison. I worry about the ability for shooters to come in here and get good shots/clean looks. I’m convinced we have a tough time getting shooters good looks and we don’t move/screen well enough off the ball to do so. Plus what is considered a good shot leaves a lot to be desired. We see lots of forced off- balanced prayers off of well defended curls or one-on-one jacks. Girard is a good athlete but he’s going to need help much like Cooney did against decent ACC defenders.

Scoop jardine says hi

Another good call -- just feel this is a different era in college hoops though. Don't feel a guy with JGIII's offer sheet sees himself sitting out a year anywhere. I can't believe that's how they're selling it. To be clear, if they are and he ends up coming and redshirting that's probably a very good thing for us.

All evidence points to a BC vs. Syracuse battle. I believe Syracuse has come on strong more recently (especially since the OV), whereas BC has been one of two or three frontrunners all along. Syracuse coming on strong seems to coincide with Notre Dame fading, which indicates that proximity is increasingly important to him (and these two schools are essentially equidistant from Glens Falls...its whether to take a left or a right on to I-90), and it also indicates that he had a really good OV in June. That the BC visit is happening so close to decision time tells me that 1) he's been a BC lean all along OR 2) the BC OV is essentially perfunctory. Either way, I'd think he's already 99% made up his mind.

Just my two cents, as a new poster.
Welcome to the board. What people have to remember is that JGIII was in attendance when BC beat Duke this year. That is the visual the Jim Christian has been planting in Girard's head since that day. I can see him going to school there, but I would think it would be a huge mistake. BC is minor leagues in a major league conference. It's never going to get the publicity of the name schools in the ACC or will people care about it in Boston. Last I looked, Siena averaged more fans than BC did. But, like I posted earlier, he would be up against less competition for minutes at BC.

Most players would want to go somewhere where he would have a legit shot at the Sweet Sixteen, Elite Eight or the Final Four. Bottom line is BC has very little opportunity for it. Will JGIII want to compete against the best in practice at Syracuse for minutes or will he be happy being handed the ball at BC and be BMOC like he is at GFHS.

And Andy Rautins and Trevor Cooney.

Already spoke to Cooney but Rautins was a guy most people here said shouldn't have even gotten an offer, not a kid sitting on Duke/UM offers.

I think B.C. would be a very good choice for him. He will play from day 1. They will build the team around him. He will be just as close to home playing there as he would be playing at Syracuse. Here, we have Buddy, Goodine, Carey and Washington already here. And even Hughes. B.C. is an excellent school, also in the ACC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom