Class of 2019 - CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 86 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
He will be just as close to home playing there as he would be playing at Syracuse.
I'm not disagreeing with your point about BC, but just a point of clarification because this has come up in other posts as well.. The Carrier Dome is closer to Glens Falls (about 25% closer) According to Mapquest, from Glens Falls to Chestnut Hill, it is 214 miles and takes 3 hours and 42 minutes. To the Carrier Dome, it is 161 miles and takes 2 hours and 56 minutes. Definitely not a make it or break it issue but there is a difference.

I don’t get where this BC momentum is coming from...it’s a dumb decision to go there

Welcome to the board. What people have to remember is that JGIII was in attendance when BC beat Duke this year. That is the visual the Jim Christian has been planting in Girard's head since that day. I can see him going to school there, but I would think it would be a huge mistake. BC is minor leagues in a major league conference. It's never going to get the publicity of the name schools in the ACC or will people care about it in Boston. Last I looked, Siena averaged more fans than BC did. But, like I posted earlier, he would be up against less competition for minutes at BC.

Most players would want to go somewhere where he would have a legit shot at the Sweet Sixteen, Elite Eight or the Final Four. Bottom line is BC has very little opportunity for it. Will JGIII want to compete against the best in practice at Syracuse for minutes or will he be happy being handed the ball at BC and be BMOC like he is at GFHS.

"Huge mistake" is probably a bit harsh. BC had a guard drafted as a lotto pick this year (Robinson) and there's a good chance they'll have another drafted next year (Bowman). SU's last guard picked in the lotto rounds was 2013. Kid is 17 and presumably has a short memory. BC is definitely using early playing time and Christian's success with perimeter players to spin JGIIIs draft potential. And it doesn't hurt that Christian has a great school and great city to back it up. That's why BC is seeing an uptick in recruitment success now that they have a coach who isn't completely in over his head (loved what Donahue did at Cornell, but c'mon, not an ACC coach).

I think you're right on the money with what SU should be selling against BC. It's an unparalleled gameday experience and the opportunity to have all of upstate rooting for him, and a pretty damn good college too. As you mention, that's in sharp contrast to BC, where best case scenario is attendances of 8000 and the 3rd or 4th byline of the sports section. That sell will beat BC more times than not.

Last edited:
You must have insider info then to be saying this
No No No No. I think it is a toss between the Cuse, Michigan and B.C. like Sgt Schultz, I know nothing. I just think B.C. isn't a bad choice for a kid with Joe's skills and location.

How so? It IS a great school and he most likely would start from day 1. He’d be their prized guy I’d guess.

You can’t convince me it’s a better basketball school then Syracuse I’m sorry even with it’s recent success with draft picks. I expect Carey will leave after a year then what will we do? We lose Battle and Howard and Hughes is more a small forward. I don’t see how he wouldn’t get playing time at Syracuse

Last edited:
You can’t convince me it’s a better basketball school then Syracuse I’m sorry even with it’s recent success with draft picks. I expect Carey will leave after a year then what will we do? We lose Battle and Howard and Hughes is more a small forward. I don’t see how he wouldn’t get playing time at Syrscuse

I was speaking strictly academics and playing time-wise at BC. Has he totally ruled out football? Maybe he has an opportunity at QB there. I think his game is a better fit at BC or Michigan personally but that’s more us and not a reflection of Girard’s abilities.

My question is, say JG ends up somewhere else(I believe he ends up at Cuse) then do we target another guard (Lester quinones, Someone else)?

BC, and like-schools, can offer more/immediate playing time. If he comes to The Harvard of CNY, a red-shirt year might be in his future. That said, 5 years of 70k+ scholarships with an opportunity to graduate early AND get a Masters doesn't sound bad to me.
He doesn't red shirt

I think you're right on the money with what SU should be selling against BC. It's an unparalleled gameday experience and the opportunity to have all of upstate rooting for him, and a pretty damn good college too. As you mention, that's in sharp contrast to BC, where best case scenario is attendances of 8000 and the 3rd or 4th byline of the sports section. That sell will beat BC more times than not.
"Huge mistake" is probably a bit harsh. BC had a guard drafted as a lotto pick this year (Robinson) and there's a good chance they'll have another drafted next year (Bowman). SU's last guard picked in the lotto rounds was 2013. Kid is 17 and presumably has a short memory. BC is definitely using early playing time and Christian's success with perimeter players to spin JGIIIs draft potential. And it doesn't hurt that Christian has a great school and great city to back it up. That's why BC is seeing an uptick in recruitment suc

Plus, the last kid from the Capital District that chose between Cuse and BC ended up with a NC ring. Some great memories that he and his family will always have.

Hey grammar police. You forgot the period at the end of your sentence. Maybe you should give the guy a break?

And “redshirt” is only one word...
50B3A103-C9AE-43A0-ABC4-5806D5FD1B49.gif

If he does leave campus without a commitment, will he announce before football practice begins or did he mean prior to the start of the competitive schedule?

...extensively populated by alumni of a university who are protective of that university's academic reputation as reflected by the quality of (even casual) communications by its associates, especially considering that one of that university's academic crown jewels is dedicated to developing excellent writers. ;)

thank God for that winky emojii. I actually became flushed reading that post. :)

I also remember Francis pointing out that Boeheim's offense isn't setup for a player with his skill set. Maybe he's looking for somewhere that would prioritize him in their offense.

This is an interesting point. Scoring players like Devo (more of a slasher), Rautins, and MacNamara, did really have a problem getting shots. But on the other hand, you had Cooney out there running around like a maniac off those low "screens" if you want to call them that. Cooney had less ball skills than Gerard though (but is a much better athlete). He obviously doesnt have the physical attributes of players like Howard, Battle, Richardson, Waiters, and Triche.

If Gerard can be a better scoring version of Howard Washington, that's fine for depth for the program. His range will help spread defenses for the slashers/wings, which is where the bulk of the scoring will come from. Other than that, he just needs to facilitate offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom