Class of 2019 - CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buddy is a guard - never said he would be a "volume scorer" I said he is a pure shooter, there is a difference. Do you really think that this decision is predicated on JB thinking we don't need one more talented shooter? There is the "novel" idea you're looking for.
Girard appears to be both. Novel idea to have multiple scorers. I have no idea what JBs thinking is predicated upon, but assuming we have the schollys I see no reason why we should not offer.
I can only assume that as of now no one is leaving and schollys will be tight.

In the age of the one and done, you need quality 4 year role players to go along with the early departed.

I agree that length is certainly a good thing to have at the top of the zone. But I think Girard makes up a little for his height, with what would be his ability to see what's coming and anticipate. He's not one of those kids that has to think about what he is doing or going to do. Not just that, but he is not as slow footed as many think. Watch some of his football highlights and you can see he is not slow, or slow footed. Nor is he a slacker, his hustling would also help make up a little bit for his height. Kid is a gamer and wants it. His arms/hands will be up all game and not down like many in the zone sometimes do. He'll be on the floor scrapping for loose balls. Could he guard a Colin Sexton or Trae Young 1on1 all game. No. Good thing he wouldnt have to in a zone. Ty Jerome and others are not blowing by him at the top of the zone. Not with help the wings provide. Now if he were to have to push out and guard a guy with deep range, that guy might be able to drive on him, but otherwise I don't see Girard being to much of a liability up top.

Doesn't hurt that kid might be one of the best, pure 3 point shooters in his class and can hit from anywhere once past halfcourt.

Hard to imagine how much better of a shooter/player this kid could be by the time he would be a senior five years from now. 6 if he were to redshirt.

Extend the kid an offer at the very least.

Yes sir. And my guess was because his lack of height can be the only reason i can think of why he has no Syracuse offer.
Girard is a shooter and scorer and Buddy plays the same position, therefore don’t expect an offer to Girard. I’m not sure Girard is an ACC athlete but he is a better athlete compared that HW. Not even close.

Girard is a shooter and scorer and Buddy plays the same position, therefore don’t expect an offer to Girard. I’m not sure Girard is an ACC athlete but he is a better athlete compared that HW. Not even close.

Greg Paulus says hi.

Girard is also a year behind Buddy and never know if he might be open-minded towards redshirting once on campus, giving him two years without Buddy.

Greg Paulus says hi.

Girard is also a year behind Buddy and never know if he might be open-minded towards redshirting once on campus, giving him two years without Buddy.
if anyone is going to red shirt it will be Buddy. Girard has a Michigan offer, one year of HS basketball in 2018-19 , and maybe a prep year. If you are just looking for a shooter, Girard is the guy.

if anyone is going to red shirt it will be Buddy. Girard has a Michigan offer, one year of HS basketball in 2018-19 , and maybe a prep year. If you are just looking for a shooter, Girard is the guy.
Buddy has a Butler offer. JB doesn’t want Girard time to move on. And if he was to offer him I think its too late. I wouldn’t accept the offer if i was Girard.

Buddy has a Butler offer. JB doesn’t want Girard time to move on. And if he was to offer him I think its too late. I wouldn’t accept the offer if i was Girard.
I'm not disagreeing with you but I think there are a lot of schools besides Syracuse that still might throw an offer on the table. Just because Michigan is the 1st P5 to offer doesn't necessarily mean that any offer forthcoming will be considered an insult. I think it's a little different situation than with Huerter and hopefully Cuse has laid out the game plan with JGIII. We don't know for sure but any type of speculation would most likely be premature.

Buddy outproduced Girard with the City Rocks this past summer and was the third best shooter on the EYBL circuit. He’s the better player right now.

How much better was Gerry in HS than Girardi (if anyone has seen both)? I didn't see Gerry in high school but never thought he was a great athlete here and I think Girardi is a bit understated athletically, and they look the same size to me.

How much better was Gerry in HS than Girardi (if anyone has seen both)? I didn't see Gerry in high school but never thought he was a great athlete here and I think Girardi is a bit understated athletically, and they look the same size to me.

Funny -- somebody made this comparison to me the other day.

Probably not a bad one in terms of the physical stature / attributes, but wasn't Gerry more of a winner on the state level? He was viewed as a legend in his region of PA -- has Girard won at the same level [honest question -- I don't know the answer]?

I think I asked this a few pages back but are we sure he has SU interest on his end?

The ship has sailed imo. He has other good options and schools that actually offered him a scholarship.

The ship has sailed imo. He has other good options and schools that actually offered him a scholarship.
yep, for the twitters out there, he has liked a few tweets that have talked about JBs reluctance to offer him, while Michigan and others have. Imagine you are correct in noting that the ship has ventured deep out to sea.

It's cool though. Buddy is the next Jimmer... :)

Buddy outproduced Girard with the City Rocks this past summer and was the third best shooter on the EYBL circuit. He’s the better player right now.

Well we don't want anyone competing with Buddy for his spot.

Is it ok to have more than one pure shooter on the team? I watched Nova and Marquette wage an unreal 3pt shooting contest yesterday. It's almost like it's a good thing to have multiple 3pt. shooters nowadays.

Well we don't want anyone competing with Buddy for his spot.

Is it ok to have more than one pure shooter on the team? I watched Nova and Marquette wage an unreal 3pt shooting contest yesterday. It's almost like it's a good thing to have multiple 3pt. shooters nowadays.
No we only play defense. Gotta win in the 50s. It's more entertaining...NOT!!! lol

Wasn’t GMac a top 100 playing against better competition?

True. Buddy shot better from the 3, from the FT line and from the field than Joe. He averaged more points playing less minutes. And he is 5 or 6 inches taller, which makes him better suited to being an effective defender in the 2-3. HS basketball isn't played at a high level where Joe plays. He is a great HS player and I wish him well but he isn't going to be better than Hughes, Carey or Goodine. Or Buddy for that matter. Not in the SU system.

People pining for him are, imho, badly misguided. We are full at the inn at SG, he isn't a good fit and belongs somewhere else. Wherever he goes, I hope he does well.

Statistics - 2017 NIKE EYBL - 17U NIKE EYBL

When a Joe Girard bobblehead shows up on the intro to a Top 20 television comedy we can start making comparisons between him and Gerry.
18.jpg

When a Joe Girard bobblehead shows up on the intro to a Top 20 television comedy we can start making comparisons between him and Gerry.
Would require a sit com to be based in Glens Falls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom