Class of 2019 - CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 28 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with this premise. The last couple of years, we've had numerous players get injured [Coleman, Chukwu, Moyer / Washington this year, Frnk last year, etc.] that have really compromised what was already limited depth. Need to move past this state, and get to the point where we have a full roster [even if "full" = 12] so that an injury or two doesn't decimate depth.

JB traditionally has eschewed that practice, because most of the time he's going to play 7 /8 anyway, and the rest aren't going to play. But I think we need to modernize that thinking and recognize that injuries are plaguing us on a near annual basis now, and that we need a full roster to offset the risk of having only 7, 6, or 5 scholarship players to use during games. It is totally unnecessary, and poor roster management in my opinion.

Besides -- other programs don't have a problem doubling up on players of the same position. No reason we can't, too. I think you need to land the best players you can, and let the chips fall where they may in practice. it is counterproductive to only recruit to a preordained lineup / set roles and PT, and not build depth behind your top guys. Road to nowhere, as we've seen these past few seasons, where our injury issues have been compounded by the draconian scholarship limitations from the NCAA.

EDIT -- so much of this would be solved if we pressed a little more, and JB opened up the bench in order to do so. I honestly wouldn't care if we played zone 90% of the time. Hell, 95% of the time. Just make better use of the press, and sub to keep your players fresh while doing so, and the issue takes care of itself [both in terms of players getting PT, and improved depth not languishing on the bench while the main cogs play 38+].
Help with the press is certainly one option opened up by a full roster. There are depth issues too .. as you mentioned, and injuries have to be accounted for. The season before this, we were supposed to have DC2, Chukwu and Moyer on the front line and we wound up with none of the above. This year, Moyer's already been nicked up. Sidibe's hurting and Washington's out for the year. No surprise, we have our pants down.

But even aside from injuries and a shorter 7/8 man rotation, there are still going to be times when matchups are just not good for your starting players (like last night with FH, et al). Those are the nights you bring in a sharpshooter, or a smaller guard to run the offense who can get into spaces and handle against tight pressure.

Meanwhile, you develop the guys on the bench and they start contributing after a couple years. There's really no downside to filling the roster.

Last edited:
understood.

I think the rock and the hard place for JB is/was the fact that as the kid was raining three's he was 5-9, then 5-10, then 5-11. It's a tough situation to be in, yes he can hit threes all day long but can he face man pressure from 6-4 ACC guards. IDK and that's an issue TBD.

His biggest offer at this point is Michigan and at the end of the day, the plan all along is to join Belien at Michigan. Was informed if some of these phone calls (Duke) turn into offers - which I doubt - but if they do then maybe he doesn't go to Michigan. Duke is the holy grail here and it was for Paulus to. But as I watch the hand ringing (which is the reason I chimed in) people need to understand these guys don't view Syracuse with the same lens we do. To put any blame on JB and staff is not reality in this case.

Now the Sooners offer your argument holds no weight. This is staff must be deaf and blind

I think Boheim to know that times are changing. The 3pt shot is critical to an offensive system now. And kid are not toeing the line now. They shoot from 3ft, 4ft, and 5ft beyond the line now. Look at what Trae Young did the other day. Having a kid like Girard on our team would create a serious problem for the other team. I just wish Boheim would look around and see where basketball is heading. Recruiting Girard would show that Boheim is seeing where the future of basketball is headed and he is trying to keep Syracuse basketball ahead of the times instead of falling behind the times.

I have no knowledge of this just more a question, does anyone know if there’s s possibility for him to reclassify to ‘18?

Now the Sooners offer your argument holds no weight. This is staff must be deaf and blind

sure thing bro, he's not going to Oklahoma but maybe if Oklahoma offered last year he would.

My only argument in defense of JB, is that JB like 99.9% of the other P5 coaches didn't offer him earlier, for a couple of obvious reasons.

Last edited:
Do we even know if JG3 wants to come here? Maybe he already told the staff thanks, but no thanks. Offering him would be pointless.

We're all operating on assumptions/guesses here

Do we even know if JG3 wants to come here? Maybe he already told the staff thanks, but no thanks. Offering him would be pointless.

I mentioned above I wouldn’t accept an offer at this point. No one knows the specifics on his lack of recruitment. Its all speculation.

Agree with this premise. The last couple of years, we've had numerous players get injured [Coleman, Chukwu, Moyer / Washington this year, Frnk last year, etc.] that have really compromised what was already limited depth. Need to move past this state, and get to the point where we have a full roster [even if "full" = 12] so that an injury or two doesn't decimate depth.

JB traditionally has eschewed that practice, because most of the time he's going to play 7 /8 anyway, and the rest aren't going to play. But I think we need to modernize that thinking and recognize that injuries are plaguing us on a near annual basis now, and that we need a full roster to offset the risk of having only 7, 6, or 5 scholarship players to use during games. It is totally unnecessary, and poor roster management in my opinion.

Besides -- other programs don't have a problem doubling up on players of the same position. No reason we can't, too. I think you need to land the best players you can, and let the chips fall where they may in practice. it is counterproductive to only recruit to a preordained lineup / set roles and PT, and not build depth behind your top guys. Road to nowhere, as we've seen these past few seasons, where our injury issues have been compounded by the draconian scholarship limitations from the NCAA.

EDIT -- so much of this would be solved if we pressed a little more, and JB opened up the bench in order to do so. I honestly wouldn't care if we played zone 90% of the time. Hell, 95% of the time. Just make better use of the press, and sub to keep your players fresh while doing so, and the issue takes care of itself [both in terms of players getting PT, and improved depth not languishing on the bench while the main cogs play 38+].
Press Virginia works for HuggyBear! And Pitino proved you can play a lot of zone and also press. Hop is doing just that at Washington.

Offer or no offer Syracuse is not a priority for him, so no. The plan was Michigan but now everyone is calling. still no offers. Michigan and now apparently Oklahoma.

Yes. It seems like there are a few portions of uneducated fans who simply throw out the generalization of a shorter guard being disqualified as a target for SU beacuse of his “zone fit.” Like you said; Quade and GMac disprove that. Flynn too. The staff like you said went after Quade with everything they said. I’ve never seen a target coveted more. To me that tells me the staff was scared to death of our PG situation going into this season. Quade wasn’t coming here to ride the pine. Well, guess what? I’m scared to death with our PG situation currently. They won’t publicly say so but I’m sure the staff is as well.
And next year too!!!!!

Although many do go with the first schools to recruit them, many don't. Look at Howard Washington, Jordan Tucker, Isaiah Stewart...
Battle was once committed to Michigan, but wears Orange.

Who's to say what Girard's decision is based on. Who know's what role proximity to family, trusted coach, favorite program might play, if any.

He was comparing the two players when they were on the same aau team.
Was Buddy two years older than Girardi at the time? IDK

Was just looking at some highlights, yes I know they’re highlights and you can’t really take much from them but all he does is shoot the ball well. There’s nothing showing him handling the ball and driving much at all. Looks not really too athletic either. His hs competition is weak as well. That area isnt exactly a hot bed of talent. If he has a open look from downtown you can count it as an automatic 3.

That area isnt exactly a hot bed of talent. If he has a open look from downtown you can count it as an automatic 3.
How can you discount the Jimmer factor. He turned out to be a pretty good college player. POY if some people forgot. Same HS also, if some people forgot

How can you discount the Jimmer factor. He turned out to be a pretty good college player. POY if some people forgot. Same HS also, if some people forgot
How am I discounting that? Just because they are from the same area? Look for yourself tell me what you see?

Is a "wide open look" in high school somehow different than a "wide open look" in college?

Why would it no longer be an automatic 3 as you stated it would be in high school?
Because kids in high school aren’t as talented and dont play good defense. His league is mediocre. Hes not gonna sniff that many open looks in college especially after he proves he can make them.

So now, the defense would lay off of him?

Which is it.

You keep contradicting yourself.
Not at all. I said ths difference in talent and defense in high school and college is light years. Im sorry you couldn’t comprehend what i said. Its pretty clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom