Class of 2019 - CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 115 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly think Duke is a good option right now. They have missed on so many guard targets. I think he would play..crazy to say

We already have Goodine signed who’s a guard and he won’t play ahead of Buddy. At best he’s our third guard next year and at worst he’s the fifth. I don’t blame him if he doesn’t want to come here because of that.
joey knows both brycen & buddy. he might well have a different assessment of his skills vs theirs than we do

Last edited:
if i'm jgiii, maybe i look at the orange roster & think "carey is probably gone after 2 seasons & they don't have another true point on the roster. i'm the lead guard by sophomore year."

I agree with this take and Ryan's as well. I was speaking specifically to next year. If someone only has one or two guards on their roster after this year they may be the better option if you want to play freshman year.

I honestly think Duke is a good option right now. They have missed on so many guard targets. I think he would play..crazy to say
I hear you, but if Duke doesn't get a stud or two in next year's class at the guard position they surely will recruit over him in the next class. Who knows what Boeheim and company are telling him. You would have to assume they are pitching that they have a prominent role for him going forward.

Penn State is a Bermuda Triangle of college basketball. Go to PSU for hoops, nobody will ever hear your name again, except the home crowd at Iowa on Senior Night. Go to SU, you'll be in the spotlight for years.

I'm confused, why is Penn State in the running? Is he planing to play football? Does Penn State have a basketball program? I don't get it.
They had a good year last year and were on the bubble. Lost a kid to the draft who they expected back or they would have been pre-season Top 25.

Penn State wasn't much worse than we were last year to be honest. Obviously we have a much better reputation, and 2017 might have just been a fluke year for them, but this isn't Rutgers or anything.

Penn State is a sleeping giant. If they ever make the right hire (maybe they have already) there is no reason that they can’t be very competitive. They just have never really gone all in on Basketball. Great facilities, great campus, excellent academic school, great conference association. HUGE rabid other sport fanbase that with a couple of winning seasons should be able to be awakened to hoops.

I like them much better than BC, which I think is always going to be behind the curve as a program.

We already have Goodine signed who’s a guard and he won’t play ahead of Buddy. At best he’s our third guard next year and at worst he’s the fifth. I don’t blame him if he doesn’t want to come here because of that.

Would you agree that Goodine and Girard have different skills sets as guards?

Penn State is a sleeping giant. If they ever make the right hire (maybe they have already) there is no reason that they can’t be very competitive. They just have never really gone all in on Basketball. Great facilities, great campus, excellent academic school, great conference association. HUGE rabid other sport fanbase that with a couple of winning seasons should be able to be awakened to hoops.

I like them much better than BC, which I think is always going to be behind the curve as a program.

It's odd because their women's hoops program was strong for a long time and the Bryce Jordan center is a really nice on campus facility. In terms of how they view their sports it's odd in that wrestling is huge there as is volleyball and other non major sports with Football being king and basketball down the list. They pack the gym for wrestling matches.

Would you agree that Goodine and Girard have different skills sets as guards?

They both are best with the ball in their hands and Goodine actually shot better from 3 in the eybl than Girard so no I don’t.

Last edited:

To be fair I thought the same thing when Joe Crispen was killing UNC back in 01.

It's odd because their women's hoops program was strong for a long time and the Bryce Jordan center is a really nice on campus facility. In terms of how they view their sports it's odd in that wrestling is huge there as is volleyball and other non major sports with Football being king and basketball down the list. They pack the gym for wrestling matches.

I understand they pack the arena for hockey as well.

I think he will pick us with BC a close second. I can only go with what I read on here and gather information from his comments. I'll be disappointed if he doesn't choose Syracuse but it is what it is.

They were a bubble team pretty much the whole year, much like Syracuse.
Fair enough.
But cbb is ALL about postseason success. Comparing an NIT team to one that made the 2nd weekend of the Dance, doesn’t wash. JMHO

Jalen Carey will also be a sophomore and probably be the team’s star. He, Buddy, Goodine and maybe Hughes (if he doesn’t stay at SF) will be the main guards. Girard won’t play much as a frosh, barring injury. But he could have a very big role as a junior and senior.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors