Chad Ford's latest big board... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Chad Ford's latest big board...

I don't know why people continue to think the players will get better in college with limited practice time, academic requirements, and no money for special trainers instead of being able to practice 8 hours a day with a dedicated coaching staff, plus get paid. Guys with professional level athletic ability are not going to get more athletic by playing college ball. Fab Melo wasn't going to get better if he stayed at SU. His lack of work ethic and ambition held him back, not his physical ability or "game experience".

And if player has those tools (physical ability, size, and ambition), why would he get better by being able to focus only 30-50% on his game when he could focus 100% on his game?

Iron sharpens iron.

I don't know why people continue to think the players will get better in college with limited practice time, academic requirements, and no money for special trainers instead of being able to practice 8 hours a day with a dedicated coaching staff, plus get paid. Guys with professional level athletic ability are not going to get more athletic by playing college ball. Fab Melo wasn't going to get better if he stayed at SU. His lack of work ethic and ambition held him back, not his physical ability or "game experience".

And if player has those tools (physical ability, size, and ambition), why would he get better by being able to focus only 30-50% on his game when he could focus 100% on his game?

Iron sharpens iron.

Doesn't all have to do with basketball. College allows kids to grow and mature without the pressure and/or the grind. Yeah there's class, but there's also A LOT more free time than in the NBA, where it's your job and you are getting paid to perform.

Jerami also hasn't had the opportunity to be a top option on a team yet. Right now I'd say he's probably the 4th option (CJ, Ennis, Cooney) offensively. He gets a lot of his points on offensive rebounds and putbacks. To me, his game would mature a lot if he were thrust into a C.J. Fair-type role next year where he gets isos called for him and is allowed to create.

In the NBA, he'd be the 9th, 10th or 11th guy on a roster to start off with (IMO). And the only time he'd be getting any plays called for him is on the scout team.

There are two ways to look at it. I think he would be very well served to stay - at this point in the season, and at this point in his development. I don't think he will, but what do I know.

Last edited:
Doesn't all have to do with basketball. College allows kids to grow and mature without the pressure and/or the grind. Yeah there's class, but there's also A LOT more free time than in the NBA, where it's your job and you are getting paid to perform.

You think so? I feel like, for better or worse, there is a lot of free time in the NBA. (The grind part I agree on; a lot of traveling, pressure, etc).
But free time? seems like you'd have a ton in the NBA. i mean there are theoretically taking what, 12 hours of class during the season?

He can work on all of that in the D-League, while making 2 million dollars a year as a lottery pick. He will not be back. Just move on from that prayer and be glad we wont miss him that much anyways. We are loaded for years to come.
I wasn't making an argument on whether he should stay or go, just that he needs to continue to get better if he wants to be more than an energy guy off the bench.

Don't understand what Harvey Grant having money has to do with Grant staying or going. I'm sure Jerami doesn't have full access to HGs money and gets whatever he wants. Who knows, maybe Harvey doesn't even have money, a lot of NBA players are broke after a few years after they're done playing. It's all speculation.

Not sure what's not to get--Grant might not have the same financial pressure to jump and provide for his family than 99.99999% of his peers in college basketball who are legitimate NBA prospects.

You are correct about that being speculative, but it could be a factor. All depends on Jerami and his goals.

"Should stay" vs "Could go in the lottery" is always an interesting argument. There are a lot of kids who would benefit from one more year of school - and many compelling reasons put forth by fans and coaches... But the real question is: Is staying extending my career in the NBA or shortening it? How much is one more year worth to my lifetime earnings?

Yeah as long as Harvey hasn't squandered all his money, Jerami isn't going to be leaving because he needs to pay some bills or something, which I'm sure is a factor in some decisions.

Yeah as long as Harvey hasn't squandered all his money, Jerami isn't going to be leaving because he needs to pay some bills or something, which I'm sure is a factor in some decisions.
He doesn't live with Harvey he lives with his mom. He is real close with his mom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom