Chaminade Post-Ohana Thoughts | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Chaminade Post-Ohana Thoughts

Judah played a laid back game. He knew the team did not need him to be super-Judah so he let
the other players have the limelight. I'd like to think that this game was an example of the future but I will wait until we face LSU and Virginia. Neither of those 2 teams has been outstanding thus far so if we get
blown out by either I will be totally depressed and . come to an early conclusion that it will be a long season.

Until today, I would have expected losses to UVa, LSU and Oregon, and beating Chaminade, Georgetown, Niagara, Cornell and Pitt. Now, Pitt has played well, making the semifinals of their tourney this week and playing Florida tonight.

If we play like we did today, I could see us beating LSU, which is only 3-2. UVa is 5-1 with a couple close wins against pretty decent teams. Oregon is 4-0 but hasn't really played anybody yet.

I could see us winning between 4 and 6 of the next 8 games. We have to play consistently like we did today. But consistency is the key.

Chaminade sucks. But you could make a very strong case we won’t see another team all year as good as Gonzaga/Tennessee with the possible exception of Duke.

The LSU/GTown games really show us where we are. I don’t think we can beat UVA at this point.

Chaminade sucks. But you could make a very strong case we won’t see another team all year as good as Gonzaga/Tennessee with the possible exception of Duke.

The LSU/GTown games really show us where we are. I don’t think we can beat UVA at this point.

I've seen parts of a couple Georgetown games. They don't look so good so far under Cooley, except for that ball dominant PG they have.

I didn’t watch the game. Glad it was never in doubt. Obviously chaminade will be the worst (not a knock on them) team we play this year. However- it’s a great opportunity to work on the things that you need to apply against ANY competition.

Judah looking for others and not forcing. Taylor going 0-fer in a half then rattling off several threes. Cuffe hitting some shots. Copeland making winning basketball plays all over. Bell bouncing back. Grabbing a ton of boards as a team. Etc.

This didn’t seem like a team just going through motions and simply winning because they are better (which we are, obviously).

This game is important. It will never be this easy again but you keep prioritizing good basketball, collective effort, and a team focus and wins follow.

I do believe Red has to shorten his leash a bit. You can’t let Bell shoot 2-18 in a game that was still up for grabs with 6 minutes left. It’s not just Bell either, it’s the Copeland 3s and the other stuff.

Jimmy got crap for years for his quick hooks, but I think there is something to be said about making your guys play to their strengths. I still like this roster with all of its deficiencies if guys play within themselves.

We beat Chaminade by more than any of the other teams they played, including Kansas. So in a way we’re better than Kansas!
Transitive property is a beautiful thing.

I didn’t watch the game. Glad it was never in doubt. Obviously chaminade will be the worst (not a knock on them) team we play this year. However- it’s a great opportunity to work on the things that you need to apply against ANY competition.

Judah looking for others and not forcing. Taylor going 0-fer in a half then rattling off several threes. Cuffe hitting some shots. Copeland making winning basketball plays all over. Bell bouncing back. Grabbing a ton of boards as a team. Etc.

This didn’t seem like a team just going through motions and simply winning because they are better (which we are, obviously).

This game is important. It will never be this easy again but you keep prioritizing good basketball, collective effort, and a team focus and wins follow.

Just a few thoughts...

1. this game was a lot more balanced in what we did as a team and it looked like men against boys against.a significantly smaller D2 squad.

2. The passing and off ball movement was much improved on offense and Judah facilitated well is the PG position.

3. Hopefully, this is a glimpse into how this team can and will play more like a team going forward, altho it's hard to take too much away from such a lopsided affair vs. a D2 team.

4. This one is important - less selfishness and more team play... This was the 7th place consolation game at an absolutely stacked early season tournament featuring multiple final 4 contender teams. I am sure there were NBA scouts all over the place. Dare I say, the bigger the opponent, the more selfish the play gets from some of our players and to the detriment of the team. Whether it's forcing way too many hero ball solo iso drives while your teamates position themselves for passes that don't come... and then off ball movement that doesn't happen because the passing doesn't start... Or you jack as many perimeter shots as possible virtually any time you touch the ball on the perimeter, many of them ill-advised... We seem to have a few players that want to go into personal "showcase" mode and throw the entire offensive gameplay out the window when they do it (no need to name names.). I.e. they'd trade 25 personal points in a loss for 11 points and a win way too often (or at least a better chance for a win.) Red has his hands full trying to break these bad, selfish habits. It's clear this team has potential when they actually play as a team. Right now, that's happening with way too little frequency and consistency. They can do it but will they?? I certainly hope so. They are certainly a lot more fun to watch when they do.

Last edited:

UVA lost to Wisconsin by 25 at home and barely beat West Virginia. They aren’t very good.

again. We sure these stats count ?

Just checked .. Nico’s 3 is registering on his espn profile so they do !

Judah played a laid back game. He knew the team did not need him to be super-Judah so he let
the other players have the limelight. I'd like to think that this game was an example of the future but I will wait until we face LSU and Virginia. Neither of those 2 teams has been outstanding thus far so if we get
blown out by either I will be totally depressed and . come to an early conclusion that it will be a long season.
Do you think that Judah might have been "encouraged" to play the game he did?

That dude Ross on Chaminade’s head was so big, he looked alot like Beavis

I do believe Red has to shorten his leash a bit. You can’t let Bell shoot 2-18 in a game that was still up for grabs with 6 minutes left. It’s not just Bell either, it’s the Copeland 3s and the other stuff.

Jimmy got crap for years for his quick hooks, but I think there is something to be said about making your guys play to their strengths. I still like this roster with all of its deficiencies if guys play within themselves.
He has a very quick hook for egregious mistakes. He’s taken Judah out several times to make him chill a little and after the first two defensive possessions of the second half last night, Bell sat for quite a while. You don’t sit Bell down if he is just missing shots. Only if he’s taking bad shots. He’s a very good shooter and despite his spotty defense, Red needs his presence on the offensive end of the floor. Lack of effort and stupid play should get guys sat down.

Chaminade is awful but that doesn’t mean some good things didn’t happen
-I was worried that Judah was going to try to drop/force 40 and instead he was a terrific team player and facilitator. That was the biggest takeaway for me.
-Naheem showed an ability to dunk and get the rebounds that he could get to and that is really all we can ask for
-JT finally saw the ball go through the hoop and can move forward without the burden of o for Hawaii
-Cuffe was a bit out of control at times but showed a nice stroke and his athleticism
-as a team we made a lot of extra passes to get teammates good looks, which is important for the future
-that garbage defense was made for Quadir to go against but to his credit he took advantage of it. The assist he made when Starling threw him an ally oop was particularly nice
-good to see Bell bounce back shooting. Would’ve been nice if he had taken advantage of the opportunity to move the ball when he didn’t have an open shot.
-it wasn’t the end of the world but when you have put yourself in the position that Benny has you have to be smarter and not pick up a technical for taunting after you block the shot of a 6 foot scrub.
-we are four and two and had our moments in the two losses. There is a lot of room for optimism as this is a young team that should improve, but we will learn a great deal in the LSU game.

Do you think that Judah might have been "encouraged" to play the game he did?
Geez, I certainly hope so! And the minute he starts only looking for his own he should get the “JB hook.”

Chaminade is awful but that doesn’t mean some good things didn’t happen
-I was worried that Judah was going to try to drop/force 40 and instead he was a terrific team player and facilitator. That was the biggest takeaway for me.
-Naheem showed an ability to dunk and get the rebounds that he could get to and that is really all we can ask for
-JT finally saw the ball go through the hoop and can move forward without the burden of o for Hawaii
-Cuffe was a bit out of control at times but showed a nice stroke and his athleticism
-as a team we made a lot of extra passes to get teammates good looks, which is important for the future
-that garbage defense was made for Quadir to go against but to his credit he took advantage of it. The assist he made when Starling threw him an ally oop was particularly nice
-good to see Bell bounce back shooting. Would’ve been nice if he had taken advantage of the opportunity to move the ball when he didn’t have an open shot.
-it wasn’t the end of the world but when you have put yourself in the position that Benny has you have to be smarter and not pick up a technical for taunting after you block the shot of a 6 foot scrub.
-we are four and two and had our moments in the two losses. There is a lot of room for optimism as this is a young team that should improve, but we will learn a great deal in the LSU game.
Benny got a technical? (Didn’t see game.)
Spock Encerio GIF

He has a very quick hook for egregious mistakes. He’s taken Judah out several times to make him chill a little and after the first two defensive possessions of the second half last night, Bell sat for quite a while. You don’t sit Bell down if he is just missing shots. Only if he’s taking bad shots. He’s a very good shooter and despite his spotty defense, Red needs his presence on the offensive end of the floor. Lack of effort and stupid play should get guys sat down.
Bell blew his defensive assignment twice early in the game, allowing Chaminade to get easy layups. Did not switch men. He was also shooting every time he got the ball, not even thinking about passing. Red was correct in pulling him.

Bell blew his defensive assignment twice early in the game, allowing Chaminade to get easy layups. Did not switch men. He was also shooting every time he got the ball, not even thinking about passing. Red was correct in pulling him.
That was baaaaaad basketball. What was most egregious about it was the play transpired right in front of his face. His man sets a back screen on Mintz and bell is looking right at it yet makes no move to pickup the man rolling to the rim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom