Chance Westry Transferring to Syracuse | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Chance Westry Transferring to Syracuse

This makes sense. He can be cleared for full go, but at the same time be brought along slowly. By mid year, he will be INCREDIBLE off the bench. We have a ton of talent on this roster. Cuffe is similar, by the end of the year, our guard unit will be 6 deep, spilling in to the forward playing time. And, I expect our forwards to be really good. It’s going to be a fun year.

This makes sense. He can be cleared for full go, but at the same time be brought along slowly. By mid year, he will be INCREDIBLE off the bench. We have a ton of talent on this roster. Cuffe is similar, by the end of the year, our guard unit will be 6 deep, spilling in to the forward playing time. And, I expect our forwards to be really good. It’s going to be a fun year.
Sounds like starters:
Judah
JJ
Bell
Benny
McLeod

Off the bench:
Westry
Brown

after that:
Some combo of Taylor, Copeland, Hima, Cuffe?

Will be interesting to see how everything shakes out.

I’m still highly intrigued to see a Judah, JJ, Westry, Benny, Brown lineup in certain situations.

Sounds like starters:
Judah
JJ
Bell
Benny
McLeod

Off the bench:
Westry
Brown

after that:
Some combo of Taylor, Copeland, Hima, Cuffe?

Will be interesting to see how everything shakes out.

I’m still highly intrigued to see a Judah, JJ, Westry, Benny, Brown lineup in certain situations.
Yeah, against the right competition, that lineup will KILL (for those Forged in Fire fans). But, I also think Justin Taylor is LEGIT. We have some dawgs in this roster.

I am going to assume Westry will be a short burst guy this season. 24-25 will be his year to shine. Not saying he won’t produce, but ill be surprised if he plays more than 15-20 minutes a game.

Also I know not a lot has been said about it but I think Q does just fine sharing in that similar role and being a dawg on the court. Westry gives us strong minutes and a dynamic piece but can set the table for a big year next year ( as well as a big finish to the year this year) and Q does the same and we have both ready for big Jr years. Not a lot has been said around Q but his shot in the videos so far looks much better. The occasional outburst while being a 6/4/3 kinda guy stat wise is very realistic I feel.. from both players actually.

Autry’s quote was very telling. There was video of it too, I believe. Almost sounds like we should have him sit until conference play

I think you are reading something not there. His tape looks good. He's been working out for a while and did so back in Harrisburg to build strength up as well. Nothing has pointed to him needing to sit. Bringing along slowly can mean many things.

Also remember it's likely a much more aggressive style of play so being mindful not to be pushing too hard on someone who missed most of the previous season is important too. Game action is critical to getting going even if it's 15 mins or less for a little while.

Last edited:
I think you are reading something not there. His tape looks good. He's been working out for a while and did so back in Harrisburg to build strength up as well. Nothing has pointed to him needing to sit. Bringing along slowly can mean many things.

Also remember it's likely a much more aggressive style of play so being mindful not to be pushing too hard on someone who missed most of the previous season is important too. Game action is critical to getting going even if it's 15 mins or less for a little while.
Maybe. Time will tell. Believe Trilly or Slater thought he was damaged goods. But we’ll know soon enough…

Maybe. Time will tell. Believe Trilly or Slater thought he was damaged goods. But we’ll know soon enough…
Even if he's not ready for a big role right now, he's worth keeping and seeing how he progresses over the next year.

Slater posted a tweet... it's known family was very involved in recruitment so no way to know it was either that or health.

Big thing for me is seeing him out there without a knee brace. As someone who tore all 3 ligaments 20 years ago at the same age- to be practicing and without a brace is a very good sign. There is a lot of talent to go around and at the absolute most he is the third guard in terms of reliance on production/playmaker behind Judah and JJ.

I am going to assume Westry will be a short burst guy this season. 24-25 will be his year to shine. Not saying he won’t produce, but ill be surprised if he plays more than 15-20 minutes a game.
15-20 seems great honestly

Slater had a “oooh stay away you’ll be burned” reaction gif before or after he announced for Cuse. He obviously heard things but doesn’t mean it wasn’t just garbage rumors.

Slater had a “oooh stay away you’ll be burned” reaction gif before or after he announced for Cuse. He obviously heard things but doesn’t mean it wasn’t just garbage rumors.
How the hell would he know?

Different sport but those types claimed Mookie Betts hip was shot and he’d never be a star again, 2 years ago.

I feel like a healthy Westry is the thing that elevates this team to being extremely good. I hope he’s ready early because we need to grab some signature wins early to avoid a low net heading into acc play, and the back-end of the schedule won’t have a ton of opportunities to change our trajectory if needed

I don't know but I probably wouldn't put too much stock into what Slater or anyone else from the outside said months ago. Recruiting and Health are two fluid things and can change on a dime. He's practicing now and things seem to be progressing well. I'm happy.

Last edited:
I feel like a healthy Westry is the thing that elevates this team to being extremely good. I hope he’s ready early because we need to grab some signature wins early to avoid a low net heading into acc play, and the back-end of the schedule won’t have a ton of opportunities to change our trajectory if needed

Also we need some good noncon wins early on because ACC play is easier than our noncon schedule.

Being a recruiting “expert” is like being a weatherman. Those fools get paid to be incorrect and change their stance at the last minute to be correct ALL THE TIME when they get the actual scoop.
Yep, definitely true. I actually find it fun occasionally to watch sports commentary or listen to a podcast on games that have already happened to see who got it right and who got it very wrong. It's hilarious to hear takes that were so far off. Some of these guys/gals (like shows such as Get Up, Stephen A's show, Skip Bayless (I can't stand even typing his name - gross) speak with such authority and at best, they're only right about half the time.

Geez and here I thought weathermen were bad. Nobody has a crystal ball.

Birthday post for Chance. Swipe to the second for a shooting workout video...
He misses his friends? - hope he’s making great new ones. Happy Birthday Chance!