Chance Westry Transferring to Syracuse | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Chance Westry Transferring to Syracuse

I took the Taylor observation more as a criticism of Benny - that Taylor can get all up in his grill and take him off his game. I don't think Taylor is a starter at the 4 (Maliq is probably going to see time there, too), but who's to say he couldn't be a Glenn Sekunda kind of player and get some time there?

Other comps might be Marius Janulis, but he was only 6-5, and shot around 40% from 3, almost automatic. Sean Kerins was a 6-7 F/C who used to excel at the corner jumper. (No 3 point shot back then ...) I think I remember him splitting time with Andre Hawkins. Taylor shoots more from the wing, though.

*googles ALL the other Syracuse white guys to compare him to.

I took the Taylor observation more as a criticism of Benny - that Taylor can get all up in his grill and take him off his game. I don't think Taylor is a starter at the 4 (Maliq is probably going to see time there, too), but who's to say he couldn't be a Glenn Sekunda kind of player and get some time there?

Other comps might be Marius Janulis, but he was only 6-5, and shot around 40% from 3, almost automatic. Sean Kerins was a 6-7 F/C who used to excel at the corner jumper. (No 3 point shot back then ...) I think I remember him splitting time with Andre Hawkins. Taylor shoots more from the wing, though.
White on white crime!

They are nothing alike. Those guys lacked physicality.

*googles ALL the other Syracuse white guys to compare him to.

No, I just have been a fan a long time. But I suppose that looks pretty racist of me. By what other chunky 6-7 swingmen have we had over the years? The black guys we recruit tend to be lanky and too thin.

No, I just have been a fan a long time. But I suppose that looks pretty racist of me. By what other chunky 6-7 swingmen have we had over the years? The black guys we recruit tend to be lanky and too thin.
I wasn’t saying YOU googled, I was joking that I was googling to refresh my memory….so that I could name more white guys, lol.

I don’t think it was racist at all of you, I was just kidding.

White on white crime!

They are nothing alike. Those guys lacked physicality.

Kerins spent time at center for us. He certainly had some physicality. That's why he was the first guy I thought of. But that was 40 years ago, so a lot of our posters probably had no idea who he was.

That's why I was trying to come up with other comparables. Who are the other "thick" guards we've had - Rock Lloyd or Dion Waiters? But they were only about 6-3. Janulis was strong, but also not as tall as Taylor.

I think Jason Cipolla was the right answer.

Kerins spent time at center for us. He certainly had some physicality. That's why he was the first guy I thought of. But that was 40 years ago, so a lot of our posters probably had no idea who he was.

That's why I was trying to come up with other comparables. Who are the other "thick" guards we've had - Rock Lloyd or Dion Waiters? But they were only about 6-3. Janulis was strong, but also not as tall as Taylor.

I think Jason Cipolla was the right answer.
Going to have to disagree on this one. One of the main reasons we went zone full time in 96 was because there was no way he was playing man. I gather Taylor has about 20-25 pounds on him as well.

6-4 and no outside shot. Not a comparable, either.
I was replying to Kcsu top five vertical all time. I see he already had Bruin in there though I didn’t see it when I posted.

My prediction is Westry, once healthy, becomes the straw that stirs the drink.

Shooting numbers aren’t that relevant for him. He’s a shooter like MCW was a shooter. He’s here to deny opposing offenses and facilitate an aggressive, relentless offense. It’s a bonus he’s a big, imposing guard too.

Scorers will be JJ, Judah and Bell.

Benny’s going to benefit tremendously from the attention the prior three mentioned will draw. Hopefully he’s soaking up CJ Fair and Jerami Grant highlights

Don't laugh; Cuffe won the 3 point shooting contest at midnight madness and was selected by Kansas. Kid could dunk like Stevie Thompson on the drive before his injury. We got a steal here. He will probably be our 3rd guard in the rotation (and maybe our 2nd best).
Cuffe has high long term potential and is really athletic. But there’s no way he’s gonna be our 2nd best guard this season. Judah and JJ have potential to be the best guard tandem in the ACC and are gonna get the majority of the minutes. And then Chance and Copeland.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom