Chance Westry Transferring to Syracuse | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Chance Westry Transferring to Syracuse

A lot of talent comes in that had flat freshman seasons with a lot of attitude and things to prove is gonna be interesting! If Judah comes back we can go elite 8/ final 4. I took my orange glasses off and still believe it.
We could be good, we could be a mess. No real way to know.

But I think the ceiling would be very high.

What confuses me about Copeland was JB saying multiple times he was the best player in practice. Will that guy show up during games?
Seems to me Copeland was a frosh, right? We use to almost never play frosh guards, and many later became very good for us. I think he will make that second year jump, where the game just seems to slow down for him.

Screenshot_20230522_154638_Instagram.jpg

We could be good, we could be a mess. No real way to know.

But I think the ceiling would be very high.
Go back two years. Syracuse was recruiting Taylor, Copeland, Chris BUNCH, Westry, and JJ Starling. What you you guys say THEN if I suggested we’d get them ALL? Would you say Syracuse would be a mess in 23-24? Plus, Benny would still be here, and two 7 foot centers? Forget Judah back then, and forget Judah now.

Go back two years. Syracuse was recruiting Taylor, Copeland, Chris BUNCH, Westry, and JJ Starling. What you you guys say THEN if I suggested we’d get them ALL? Would you say Syracuse would be a mess in 23-24? Plus, Benny would still be here, and two 7 foot centers? Forget Judah back then, and forget Judah now.
Think you missed my point, but go off.

If Chance, JJ and the KU kid are all healthy we dont have any issues at G. Judah or no Judah

Five guards for a three guards lineup... If Mintz returns there is likely to be an odd man out. I think it might be Cuffe if it comes to that. He hasn't played a full game in almost three years.

Or, we rotate? Wild concept, I know.
I think your trite comment is being simplistic. Think it through.

120 minutes spread between 6 guards and 1 forward (Mintz, Westry, Starling, Copeland, Taylor, Cuffe, and Bell) averages to 17 minutes per player. Do you really think Starling, Westry and Mintz choose to be here so they can play 15-20 minutes in a crazy deep rotation?

I know we aren't going to do JB's iron man system anymore, but our best players are still going to play a lot. If our three best players are playing a pedestrian 28 minutes a game, that's only 36 minutes between 4 guys. Mintz played 35 in conference last year... Do you think he's coming back to play less than 30? Do you really think Red is going to play the other guys an even 9 minutes each? Or do you think there is going to be competition with winners and losers? This doesn't even take into account times where we are forced to play two forwards because Westry, Taylor or Copeland can't rebound enough.

UNC is going to force us to play Williams and Brown together so we don't get crushed on the boards... There will probably be others teams where we have to play bigger.

Somebody is going to lose minutes! And Cuffe probably is ready for it, after a couple years of not playing, then transferring into an extremely competitive situation. Even if he plays zero minutes, there is a serious minutes crunch Red will be dealing with, including the (likely) benching of a starter with Bell becoming a reserve.

I think your trite comment is being simplistic. Think it through.

120 minutes spread between 6 guards and 1 forward (Mintz, Westry, Starling, Copeland, Taylor, Cuffe, and Bell) averages to 17 minutes per player. Do you really think Starling, Westry and Mintz choose to be here so they can play 15-20 minutes in a crazy deep rotation?

I know we aren't going to do JB's iron man system anymore, but our best players are still going to play a lot. If our three best players are playing a pedestrian 28 minutes a game, that's only 36 minutes between 4 guys. Mintz played 35 in conference last year... Do you think he's coming back to play less than 30? Do you really think Red is going to play the other guys an even 9 minutes each? Or do you think there is going to be competition with winners and losers? This doesn't even take into account times where we are forced to play two forwards because Westry, Taylor or Copeland can't rebound enough.

UNC is going to force us to play Williams and Brown together so we don't get crushed on the boards... There will probably be others teams where we have to play bigger.

Somebody is going to lose minutes! And Cuffe probably is ready for it, after a couple years of not playing, then transferring into an extremely competitive situation. Even if he plays zero minutes, there is a serious minutes crunch Red will be dealing with, including the (likely) benching of a starter with Bell becoming a reserve.
It seems like we'll be playing 3 guards most of the time next season. If we're playing a pressure defense and run and gun on offense 28 minutes is going to be a perfect amount for each of those guys.

At the end of the day, being deep is a great problem to have and will push our guys even more. And if Judah gets 25 minutes some games and 35 minutes some games I'm sure it's not a problem. He's going to be able to showcase his skills moreso than he did under JB.

May be Red is actually assembling two teams with three guards each, and plans to sub in a team at a time instead of individual players. Each team has its own chemistry, strengths and weaknesses. May be a zone team and a man team. They practice against each other. They start or fall back depending on matchups lol.

It seems like we'll be playing 3 guards most of the time next season. If we're playing a pressure defense and run and gun on offense 28 minutes is going to be a perfect amount for each of those guys.

At the end of the day, being deep is a great problem to have and will push our guys even more. And if Judah gets 25 minutes some games and 35 minutes some games I'm sure it's not a problem. He's going to be able to showcase his skills moreso than he did under JB.
So you are with me. Ok.

Who do you think gets gets the short straw in minutes?

So you are with me. Ok.

Who do you think gets gets the short straw in minutes?
I think it will be pretty even across the board early on and then Red will begin to adjust. But I'm not going to make any guesses yet. Clean slates all around

I wanted Chance first go 'round. Things didn't work out then. But in the end he is now an Orangemen...
Excited for him and this season! Whether he starts or is our 6th man (more likely)... he is so versatile and will make a big impact. Let's go Chance and LGO!!

Heard a rumor today from an SU Employee that he is still not a full go at practice and is still very limited from his injury at Auburn. Any truth to this? Seasons right around the corner.