Chandler Jones 1st Round Pick | Syracusefan.com

Chandler Jones 1st Round Pick

Melancer46

Living Legend
3. Chandler Jones, DE, Syracuse
Perhaps no one’ stock has risen as high or as quickly as Chandler Jones over the last two weeks. I am under the impression that Jones has been valued much higher by NFL teams all along than by the media and is now flying up the boards. Jones is a big, tall and long defensive end. He uses his long arms extremely well and wins battles with power and leverage.
Jones also exhibits good instincts and recognition ability in the run game and makes a lot of plays by coming down the line of scrimmage. Jones like McClellin has a really good motor and makes plays with effort, motor and by chasing down the ball carrier. There is some question as to whether he can play 3-4 OLB and if he can drop or buzz into coverage, but both 3-4 and 4-3 teams love him. There has been some talk this week surrounding the Philadelphia Eagles and Jones, although I am not sure how much sense that makes. I certainly think Jones will be in the mix for teams like San Diego, Chicago and even Cincinnati.
If Jones makes it to the Patriots pick at 27 (which seems unlikely right now), I believe he would be the selection. There is no chance right now that Jones falls out of the first round.

Edit: from http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2012/04/2012-nfl-draft-risers-and-fallers.html

Also listed as the #1 Riser on pick256.wordpress.com

Latest mock draft I've seen has him going #14 to the Cowboys.

Good for Chandler. If he goes in the first round, it'd most certainly erase any doubt whether his leaving early was the right decision or not.

Bears have looked at him too, fits perfectly in what they like to do - they pick #19.

I hope he doesn't go to the girls or the jets as I want to root for him in the NFL.

I haven't watched enough of Jones from afar. Do you guys think he translates well to the 3-4?

Based on his productivity and injury history, i'm surprised he's a 1st rounder. That being said, i'm rooting for him and hope he is.

Based on his productivity and injury history, i'm surprised he's a 1st rounder. That being said, i'm rooting for him and hope he is.

Apparently the reason this hasn't hurt him is because basically all of the defensive ends in this year's draft have had sporadic productivity, but everyone seems to love Chandler's tools, mainly his long arms that he can use to swim/rip past linemen. I read that a lot of teams see him as the sort of pass-rusher the Giants have used as the center of their defense.

Apparently the reason this hasn't hurt him is because basically all of the defensive ends in this year's draft have had sporadic productivity, but everyone seems to love Chandler's tools, mainly his long arms that he can use to swim/rip past linemen. I read that a lot of teams see him as the sort of pass-rusher the Giants have used as the center of their defense.

I wonder if JPP's success with the Giants has helped too. Pierre Paul is obviously more of an athletic freak, but they both have that length and body type and speed. I imagine Chandler draws some similarities and people don't want him to slip to the Giants so they can add to their pass rushers...

Yeah, feel the same way. I'm frankly shocked at these developments and his shooting up draft boards. I actually thought it might go the other way. And this isn't a knock on the kid, who is clearly an excellent athlete and seems like a good guy for them most part (what little I know). I hope he has a ton of success and proves my player evaluation skills to be miserable, but he just never jumped out at me as a disruptive force. Real nice player, flashes of being a great one, but not as good as he looked on paper.

I'm surprised the NFL is questioning his drop coverage as I know he was doing that significantly the last two years and had several disruptions.

this is a weak draft for DEs and teams need DEs, hence why hes rising. i think he can be a fine player but the expectations given to him as a #1 will lead to his quick demise.

oh, and teams NEVER draft somebody to keep them from going to someone else.

thats NEVER.

they will move up to get a guy they want, but to look back and use a pick as a block???? thats hoppycock.

Oh Lord

I think a lot of teams have evaluated him as having a lot of upside in terms of development, and he also has a tremendous attitude and work ethic. Also, don't think for a second that his family history doesn't help to some degree.

this is a weak draft for DEs and teams need DEs, hence why hes rising. i think he can be a fine player but the expectations given to him as a #1 will lead to his quick demise.

oh, and teams NEVER draft somebody to keep them from going to someone else.

thats NEVER.

they will move up to get a guy they want, but to look back and use a pick as a block???? thats hoppycock.

Oh Lord

What's hoppycock? Did tricky dick say that?

This is what I'm worried. I think it's great that he is rising, but first round draft picks are supposed to start and produce from day one. That is a lot of pressure for someone who was dinged up a lot last year.

Hope he proves me wrong, but I just never saw his talent level, even with upside, being top half of the first round. When Freeney was drafted high by the Colts, he may not have had size, but at least he had speed and he had produced ridic numbers in college.

On Dan Patrick this AM, Mike Mayock of the NFL Network stated that he has C Jones at #9 on his board. Not #9 DE, or #9 defensive player, but #9 over all.

what is real weird is that i saw a fox sports mock draft and they don't even have jones going in the first 3 rounds. guy must be an idiot or everyone is being snookered.

what is real weird is that i saw a fox sports mock draft and they don't even have jones going in the first 3 rounds. guy must be an idiot or everyone is being snookered.
seriously, i mean the guy came back from an injury, helped sneak out a win v a very good wv team and promptly led the team on a 5 game losing season to torpedo the season.

1st round!!

thank the good lord that no draft had him as a high 1st rounder this august or the board wouldve had visions of freeney dancing in their heads and wouldve been expecting a 1o win season.

you wouldve had to pull the plug on this board......

Oh Lord

I would order that jersey the night after the draft.

Ditto. I would then wear it proudly in Cortland during training camp.

Maybe if he's a success, he can talk Tannenbaum & Rex into moving a Jets preseason game to the Dome!

Chandler should send Jason Pierre-Paul a nice fruit basket, because his explosion has to play at least a small part in the way Chandler is skyrocketing. Everyone watched JPP blow up, and, physically, Chandler is the closest thing in the draft (though nowhere near as quick as JPP), and no one wants to miss out on what they think could be JPP v2.0.

Look, I like Chandler, but it astonishes me that Art could be extremely productive in college, battle some injuries, and go in the 5th round, while Chandler was only moderately productive, battled some injuries, and is now projected as a top 20 pick.

I hope Chandler proves me wrong, but I just don't see him being a star at the next level.

Chandler should send Jason Pierre-Paul a nice fruit basket, because his explosion has to play at least a small part in the way Chandler is skyrocketing. Everyone watched JPP blow up, and, physically, Chandler is the closest thing in the draft (though nowhere near as quick as JPP), and no one wants to miss out on what they think could be JPP v2.0.

Look, I like Chandler, but it astonishes me that Art could be extremely productive in college, battle some injuries, and go in the 5th round, while Chandler was only moderately productive, battled some injuries, and is now projected as a top 20 pick.

I hope Chandler proves me wrong, but I just don't see him being a star at the next level.

DE>DT. DT's never go high unless they're the real deal.

Not bad for an un-hyped recruit who hadn't shown much going into his RS sophomore year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom