Chandler Jones - Am I the only one... | Syracusefan.com

Chandler Jones - Am I the only one...

orangenirvana

Hall of Fame
who can't figure out how he was a Top 25 pick in the NFL Draft?

Don't get me wrong...I'm happy for him. He comes from my neck of the woods in the southern tier of Central NY state (I took my SAT exam at U-E). He went to Syracuse. He is a true Upstate New Yorker and will represent the region very well, no question about it.

But did anyone watch him play at any point last season and say, "Wow, that kid is a sure-fire first round pick this April."

Be honest.

We all knew he had tremendous potential. His brother Arthur said he would turn out to be a lot better than him. Marrone asked him once, "Chandler, do you realize how good you could be?" And I know he was injured for much of 2011, but I'm sorry, I never saw him realize that potential to the point of earning a first-round draft status.

I keep hearing how great the pick was for the *Patriots and how he is a great pass rusher. Pass rusher? Huh? He was never a great pass rusher for Syracuse in the Big East conference...how is he going to suddenly do it in the NFL? I mean, this is the same player who got chased down from behind by an offensive lineman after an interception a mere six or seven months ago.

The only way I see him making a major impact at the next level is if he fills out into a 3-4 DE or 4-3 DT.

I guess what I'm getting at is...as a Syracuse University football fan and lifelong citizen of Upstate NY, I wish Chandler all the best.

But as a Bills fan, I hope like hell that my instincts are correct and he is a total bust.

No, I am in agreement. Not once in his career could you have convinced me he's a first round pick based on anything but potential. He's not particularly quick, he's a little skinny, and he's never been close to dominant other than two or three games scattered throughout his career.

I think he's a GREAT kid. I cannot stress that enough. He's of the highest character and I hope like hell he has a great NFL career. But he never really did anything to convince me he would be a good NFL player.

And as much as I love Chandler for who he is as a person, and how great he's been as an ambassador for SU, I'll sum up my thoughts by saying that I'm an Eagles fan, and I was crossing my fingers that the Eagles wouldn't select him in the first round.

I really, really hope he proves me wrong, because the kid deserves success...but I'm skeptical.

Very early in Chandler's SU career I remember some of the things he did when he was getting a little taste of college football playing time. I was impressed.

At the time, given his apparent physical gifts, I thought that he was going to be a great college football player. I think I was one of the first in the chat room to point out what I thought was his "potential".

Got to admit..maybe it was nagging injuries, but he never came close to performing on the field at the level that I was hoping for. My enthusiasm for his potential slowly diminished.

Hope he does well in the NFL.

Maybe they see that same potential and drafted him on that.

I don't think watching him during a game would give anyone a good read. Probably because he was often doubled, because we had little overall talent on the line other than Chan...that's why those workouts are so important. I think he has some impressive measurables, especially his 36" arms. He was injured, too...we didn't see the best from him this year

Don't get me wrong...I'm happy for him. He comes from my neck of the woods in the southern tier of Central NY state (I took my SAT exam at U-E). He went to Syracuse. He is a true Upstate New Yorker and will represent the region very well, no question about it.

But did anyone watch him play at any point last season and say, "Wow, that kid is a sure-fire first round pick this April."

Be honest.

We all knew he had tremendous potential. His brother Arthur said he would turn out to be a lot better than him. Marrone asked him once, "Chandler, do you realize how good you could be?" And I know he was injured for much of 2011, but I'm sorry, I never saw him realize that potential to the point of earning a first-round draft status.

I keep hearing how great the pick was for the *Patriots and how he is a great pass rusher. Pass rusher? Huh? He was never a great pass rusher for Syracuse in the Big East conference...how is he going to suddenly do it in the NFL? I mean, this is the same player who got chased down from behind by an offensive lineman after an interception a mere six or seven months ago.

The only way I see him making a major impact at the next level is if he fills out into a 3-4 DE or 4-3 DT.

I guess what I'm getting at is...as a Syracuse University football fan and lifelong citizen of Upstate NY, I wish Chandler all the best.

But as a Bills fan, I hope like hell that my instincts are correct and he is a total bust.

I am with you and have wondered the same things. I saw almost every one of his games and I can't figure it out. Half full says he played with limited talent and is a physical freak. I say he never dominated in many games where SU played crap teams. I hope that he does well but I just don't see it.

Agreed. I was shocked that he was picked that high, but he does measure well and seems like a very good kid.

If he can stay healthy, he is in a good spot to reach his potential.

Plus, I don't think anyone would call the DE depth in this draft "deep". Helped out.

The one thing is that, while I don't like him, Belicheat is a great judge of talent and potential. Just look at all of the guys he's picked up who few ever thought of who have produced greatly.

I don't disagree with the thought but remember the draft is based on need and who is available. Pass rushing DE's are a huge need and I would argue the talent in the draft wasnt very good for DE. Therefore his stock went up based on the need of teams and who was out there. I think there is a lot to like about Chandler and I hope he does very well. I think he was 1st round talent based on 2012 talent and draft needs.

The one thing you have to account for, but probably can't, is the fact that you are an Orange fan and will be much more critical than an outside observer. Fans will critique every move, every play, and like with most things, it's human nature to hone in on the negative aspects of his game.

When I was watching the NFL Network clips of Jones against UConn, I couldn't believe it, he looked great in those plays. I was like "wait, I don't remember those plays, all I remember is us getting pounded by UConn again" But, there it was, clip after clip, months after the game, Jones manhandling the OL.

I'll admit to perhaps being biased as a Pats fan who DESPERATELY wants him to succeed... but I think he's going to be a better pro than a college player. He's obviously going to get phenomenal coaching, and his role will be clearly defined.

Not that the Pats are perfect, but the fact that they traded up to get him speaks volumes. They rarely do that, and the last time it happened was to get Gronkowski. That turned out OK.

The talking heads think his skill set and size , in that position in Pats D is a slam dunk.
Hate Pats, but hope he is an All Pro.

I think he was largely a product of the JPP pick from two years ago. The Patriots just lost the super bowl partly because of JPP and his athletic freakiness. They see mini JPP (Chandler) and say hey if we can't beat them, join them. So they pick him at 21. I think it might have been a slight reach, but so what! Good for Chandler. I do think he has a 50%/50% shot at becoming an all-star. Plus you have to factor in the last few years the NFL has become largely a combine event. If you explode at the combine, your draft rating skyrockets. This is all-around good for everyone involved. Patriots get a player with amazing upside potential, Syracuse gets a first round draft pick, and Chandler is set for life and is now part of one of the greatest sports families in a long time.

Be honest.

I agree.

He has a great body and is very athletic, but he never dominated like a Dwight Freeney - not even close in my opinion.

But I can't really argue with Bill Belicheck - there is obviously something theee.

Jones was not drafted to be the next Freeney. Jones went high because he does lots of things well. He can get after the passer, play the run, drop back into coverage, etc. I wouldn't say he outstanding in one area, but he affords New England to be flexibility with how they use him, which offers flexibility to their defensive scheme. He's a three down player right now with a high ceiling. He may never be a double digit sack guy in the NFL, but he certainly has the potential to have a long career and be a valuable component to his team.

Dwight Freeney was the most dominant Syracuse football player I have seen in my years of fandom, which now spans about 30 years. He simply couldn't be blocked at the collegiate level. He is a once in a lifetime pass rusher for the Syracuse program. That being said, Chandler Jones was asked to a hell of a lot more defensively under Shafer than Freeney ever was. Dwight never had to play nose tackle in a three man front in a nickel package. Freeney never had to drop back into coverage. Hell, they never even asked Freeney to really sniff out the run because he was so damn good at rushing the passer. I would wager than Chandler could have been a 8-11 sack guy easily here if he was able to pin his ears back and rush the QB without consequence on every single play.

That is was makes Chandler appealing the powers that be on the next level -- it's not the JPP comparison people are throwing around on the board. Sure they are both tall and rangy, but thats about it. There's a lot of money invested in a first round pick -- a NFL staff doesn't say "hey, this guy is tall and long like JPP, let's pick him." What impressed scouts the most was the versatility Chandler displayed on film coupled with the fact that he's still a kid growing into his body. He can easily play at 275 and still possess his athleticism. I think the concern with Jones is his ability to stay healthy. They'll teach him lower, use his hands a bit better, etc. By all means hi's a good kid who loves the game. If I were a Pats fan I'd be pleased.

I agree.

He has a great body and is very athletic, but he never dominated like a Dwight Freeney - not even close in my opinion.

But I can't really argue with Bill Belicheck - there is obviously something theee.

Yeah, to me he seemed like a guy who would go in the 3rd or 4th round based on his size, but production would keep him out of the 1st.

But 1st round would seem like more of a reach if someone else had drafted him.

The one thing you have to account for, but probably can't, is the fact that you are an Orange fan and will be much more critical than an outside observer. Fans will critique every move, every play, and like with most things, it's human nature to hone in on the negative aspects of his game.

When I was watching the NFL Network clips of Jones against UConn, I couldn't believe it, he looked great in those plays. I was like "wait, I don't remember those plays, all I remember is us getting pounded by UConn again" But, there it was, clip after clip, months after the game, Jones manhandling the OL.

Well, let's be objective, then. How many kids miss half their final season year thru injury, really only started 1 year before that, and go in the first round ? I don't think it's many.

What impressed scouts the most was the versatility Chandler displayed on film coupled with the fact that he's still a kid growing into his body.

That's pretty much it.

it's all about measurables in the NFL and he fits the criteria perfectly size-wise. Simple as that and with NFL coaching he could really boom

Chandler Jones won the "Underwear Olympics"

Put him in his underwear, watch him run, jump, hit tackling dummy's, measure his arms, hand size and he grades out as a 1st round pick. THAT's why he went so early. When you pop in the tape and actually watch him play you see nothing that would make you think he is a first round pick.

There is a reason why Belichick has had so many draft busts in recent years, and I think we know why. Since Pioli left NE they haven't had a good draft in years. Aside from the 2 tight ends they have missed on a lot!

Chandler Jones won the "Underwear Olympics"

Put him in his underwear, watch him run, jump, hit tackling dummy's, measure his arms, hand size and he grades out as a 1st round pick. THAT's why he went so early. When you pop in the tape and actually watch him play you see nothing that would make you think he is a first round pick.

There is a reason why Belichick has had so many draft busts in recent years, and I think we know why. Since Pioli left NE they haven't had a good draft in years. Aside from the 2 tight ends they have missed on a lot!

Actually, Chandler's athletic measurables cam in decent, but not off the charts by any means. He ran a 4.8 40, put up 22 on the bench, and had like a 33 inch vertical. You can knock it all you want, but the kid made his move because of what he showed on film, period. The exact opposite of what you posted. Numerous scouts, and NFL personnel have been quoted as saying Chandler really jumped out on film.

I know it may be difficult for some to understand here, but production doesn't just equate to sacks at the collegiate level. Chandler wasn't selected to first team all big east because he looked good in his underwear. The kid faced doubles and triples all game, played on a bum knee (probably should have missed the season fyi), and found ways to make plays all over the field. He ended up with what, 5 sacks in 6 games this year?

I think the issue is most people are comparing Chandler to Dwight Freeney, when they are two totally different players.

I hope the NFL isn't beginning to go down the same dead end road as the NBA.

I don't think watching him during a game would give anyone a good read. Probably because he was often doubled, because we had little overall talent on the line other than Chan...that's why those workouts are so important. I think he has some impressive measurables, especially his 36" arms. He was injured, too...we didn't see the best from him this year

Freeney was tripled teamed and held every snap, and didn't play with much better talent, and he set the NCAA record for sacks in '01.

Now that said, I think Cuseisloose got it right above when he said the Freeney comparison is unfair because Jones is a completely different type of player. Jones was drafted on his versatility and his potential, I think that's obvious.

I guess what bothers me are the analyst blowhards saying how much improved the *Patriots pass rush will be as a result of landing Jones. That's just not his strength.

The one thing is that, while I don't like him, Belicheat is a great judge of talent and potential. Just look at all of the guys he's picked up who few ever thought of who have produced greatly.

This is a myth.

Belichick will go down as one of the greatest NFL head coaches ever because he's a brilliant analyst and strategist and a great coach with regard to motivation and getting the most out of players. He's not a great talent evaluator at all. As far as I'm concerned that is his (perhaps only) weakness.

He struck gold with the 2010 draft for sure, but beyond that, his drafts have been mediocre at best.

This is a myth.

Belichick will go down as one of the greatest NFL head coaches ever because he's a brilliant analyst and strategist and a great coach with regard to motivation and getting the most out of players. He's not a great talent evaluator at all. As far as I'm concerned that is his (perhaps only) weakness.

He struck gold with the 2010 draft for sure, but beyond that, his drafts have been mediocre at best.
well,hes going down as a cheater too. but thats a topic for a different day.

NFL teams are now more scared to 'miss out' on somebody than to have someone fail. with the rookie salary cap in place, its easier for them to take a flyer now.

its better to watch tape of 2nd and 3rd year guys who are FAs than it is to watch college tape when you are trying to win now.

hes better off in NE, if he was a jet it wouldve been a disaster. the expectations would be off the charts. bill will temper them easily.

Oh Lord

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom