Change in recruiting Strategy? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Change in recruiting Strategy?

And once again you ignore we signed Goodine. I’m not sure why you responded to me.
My definition of A list recruits are kids that we offer early in the process. Goodine is an example and a great job by Gmac. Marek was a very late addition who wasn't even on the staffs radar until we had missed on numerous players that we had targeted.
I think he's giving Gmac some love here.

Wasn’t the point.

And Hopkins became an assistant at the same age as Gmac.

Difference was Fine couldn’t recruit at all anymore.

None of it is valid? Another black and white statement. I disagree.

As to your statement that I am negative or have an agenda against the staff, I say you either have very selective reading skills (see what you want to see), or you're truly paranoid. Apparently you've missed my posts about JB being a better coach than Calipari. You must have also missed my post about last season perhaps being JB's best ever. You must have also missed my posts about Oshae being great and underrated. I guess you also missed my post about losing Whitney to Kentucky as not being a big deal because I like Quincy better. You must have also missed my post about JB and the staff's ability to scout. You also missed my post about being optimistic about the upcoming season and that I think we have the potential to make the elite eight or better.

It seems to me that you are missing a lot of positive posts. Maybe it is not I who is negative? Maybe you just don't like my posts because I refuse to parrot back what you want to hear, and don't bow down to peer pressure/likes etc.

Actually, you are the one with selective reading skills. Try reading closer. At no point did I say that you, yourself have a negative attitude. That comment was directed at anyone who does have a negative attitude toward the program and the coaching staff. Why? Do you feel guilty? Maybe you should look at yourself in a mirror, if you feel that statement was directed at you. Sounds like you are feeling guilty.

This is a thread, of which we are both reading. I only have a small idea of what you may have been writing in other threads, as This thread is the one that showed up on my view first, and I haven't had much time to read the board lately. Therefore, I am responding to this thread, and not to anything else you may have written.

I stand by my statement. You can not compare the two programs as equivalents during the time frame you have referred too. The two programs were not under similar situations. Therefore, to infer anything by your comparison is invalid. You call it a black and white statement, but it is a statement of truth. Do you argue that? Because it is fact. One program was sanctioned, the other not. Your disagreement infers that you do not feel that sanctions adversely affect programs. I refute that view and am happily willing to provide ample evidence that sanctions do negatively impact programs.

These are the facts from your comparison. Have both programs recruited relatively similarly ranked players? Yes.

Has Nova had better results from the kids they recruited than SU? Yes.

Did SU have to push some players out and bring lower ranked players in due to recruiting restrictions? Yes.

Were the two programs in similar situations during the time frame in comparison? No

Actually, you are the one with selective reading skills. Try reading closer. At no point did I say that you, yourself have a negative attitude. That comment was directed at anyone who does have a negative attitude toward the program and the coaching staff. Why? Do you feel guilty? Maybe you should look at yourself in a mirror, if you feel that statement was directed at you. Sounds like you are feeling guilty.

This is a thread, of which we are both reading. I only have a small idea of what you may have been writing in other threads, as This thread is the one that showed up on my view first, and I haven't had much time to read the board lately. Therefore, I am responding to this thread, and not to anything else you may have written.

I stand by my statement. You can not compare the two programs as equivalents during the time frame you have referred too. The two programs were not under similar situations. Therefore, to infer anything by your comparison is invalid. You call it a black and white statement, but it is a statement of truth. Do you argue that? Because it is fact. One program was sanctioned, the other not. Your disagreement infers that you do not feel that sanctions adversely affect programs. I refute that view and am happily willing to provide ample evidence that sanctions do negatively impact programs.

These are the facts from your comparison. Have both programs recruited relatively similarly ranked players? Yes.

Has Nova had better results from the kids they recruited than SU? Yes.

Did SU have to push some players out and bring lower ranked players in due to recruiting restrictions? Yes.

Were the two programs in similar situations during the time frame in comparison? No
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out you were writing it directed at me. It is a direct rebuttal of what I wrote. You just cleverly did not directly reply to or quote me. But whatever, if you want to call it selective reading be my guest.

Do I feel guilty? Heck no. I've done nothing to feel guilty for. I've posed questions and threw out some stats and asked folks their interpretation. You just happen to dislike it and disagree, That's fine.

I stand by my analysis that there is valuable data to be looked at. Sanctions didn't cause players we recruited to become busts (that were highly rated). Sanctions didn't cause that many players to transfer. The players Syracuse and Nova recruited during that time period were similarly ranked. Comparing the success of similarly ranked players during the same time period is valid.

Last edited:
I respectfully disagree. I'd hardly call it an anomaly. I'd call it something that's worthy of examination and modeling. I don't think Nova fans would call it a fluke either, nor would Jay Wright. If we had accomplished what they did, and someone wrote it was an anomaly, and not the result of the incredible job of the staff they'd be flamed and tortured on this board.
Anomaly does not equal "fluke".
My point is that, although they have been out-recruited by many, many programs, Villanova has produced the best results in the country over the past few years. Winning any single NC can be called a "fluke" (UConn'14). But Nova did it twice in 3 years, with only one really close game. So, the fact that they have bested the Orange over that period should come as no surprise. If the Villanova Paradigm can be replicated (by Nova or someone else) then it will cease being an outlier.

Anomaly does not equal "fluke".
My point is that, although they have been out-recruited by many, many programs, Villanova has produced the best results in the country over the past few years. Winning any single NC can be called a "fluke" (UConn'14). But Nova did it twice in 3 years, with only one really close game. So, the fact that they have bested the Orange over that period should come as no surprise. If the Villanova Paradigm can be replicated (by Nova or someone else) then it will cease being an outlier.
All the more reason to closely evaluate what they're doing there. See if we can emulate them and determine where we are successful and where we can improve.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom