Class of 2018 - Chase Scanlan (NY: Silver Creek / IMG) Mid Transfer from Loyola to Syracuse | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 Chase Scanlan (NY: Silver Creek / IMG) Mid Transfer from Loyola to Syracuse

I know i'm reaching here but it's believed that Tahoka Nanticoke is unhappy at Albany...any chance he transfers to Cuse now that we've locked up Scanlan??

I know it's a pipe dream but a guy can dream right??

If he plays like he did last year...not sure we would even want him.

Interesting point made by Foy - it is a bit striking to watch Scanlan's high school vs college highlight tape. Wonder if it was just the nature of playing with someone like Spencer, but he doesn't dodge a lot in the Loyola highlights. He clearly shows the ability, but it will be interesting to watch what kind of role Scanlan has. Obviously 'Cuse doesn't have a Pat Spencer, but they also don't have a stereotypical QB type either.

I think of Rhefuss as being more of a dodger, but he has shown the ability to be a very good passer (look at his games against Navy), and Curry can certainly be a play maker from the midfield. I also think of Syracuse as being a very unselfish team in general, so it might not matter if they don't have a "QB" (UVA and Yale didn't really have one last year either). If Voigt was able to score 30+ goals last year as a finisher only type player I think Scanlan can certainly exceed that.

Last edited:
After the acquisition of Chase Scanlon, I started thinking about the transfers that SU lax has added which have produced the most in their time in the Dome.

Tim Nelson (The OG of Lax transfers; there may be many others that I am forgetting from the 1980s and 1990s; can’t say I followed recruiting and player acquistions as closely at that point of my life).

Off the top of my head…

Dylan Donahue
Tommy Palesek
Brendan Bomberry
Stephen Rehfuss
Nick Mariano
Ben Williams
Nick Galassco
John Carrozza

Who else am I missing?

how about the kid from Gtown who helped us win a championship in 09? Scott Kahoe

I know i'm reaching here but it's believed that Tahoka Nanticoke is unhappy at Albany...any chance he transfers to Cuse now that we've locked up Scanlan??

I know it's a pipe dream but a guy can dream right??

I half expected Nanticoke to be in the PLL/MLL/NLL draft by now.

Interesting point made by Foy - it is a bit striking to watch Scanlan's high school vs college highlight tape. Wonder if it was just the nature of playing with someone like Spencer, but he doesn't dodge a lot in the Loyola highlights. He clearly shows the ability, but it will be interesting to watch what kind of role Scanlan has. Obviously 'Cuse doesn't have a Pat Spencer, but they also don't have a stereotypical QB type either.

I think of Rhefuss as being more of a dodger, but he has shown the ability to be a very good passer (look at his games against Navy), and Curry can certainly be a play maker from the midfield. I also think of Syracuse as being a very unselfish team in general, so it might not matter if they don't have a "QB" (UVA and Penn State didn't really have one last year either). If Voigt was able to score 30+ goals last year as a finisher only type player I think Scanlan can certainly exceed that.

Penn State had Grant Ament, who set a single season assist record last year, and infact blew the old record out of the water.

Matt Moore of UVA had 43 assists last year. Kraus had a similar amount. I can buy your argument for UVA, even though in my opinion that is a stretch, but not Penn State.

Penn State had Grant Ament, who set a single season assist record last year, and infact blew the old record out of the water.

Matt Moore of UVA had 43 assists last year. Kraus had a similar amount. I can buy your argument for UVA, even though in my opinion that is a stretch, but not Penn State.

My bad! I meant Yale, since they played in the title game. Thanks for pointing out my mistake! Editing it now.

So, he's eligible right away, correct? I'm not sure if he's affected by the new transfer rule (or if it's even gone into effect yet - wonky internet connection is hurting my Google game ;) ).

Read somewhere else that Loyola coach needs to sign off on it.
I thought that schools weren't allowed to limit transfers anymore.

Edit: Loyola's coach has nothing to say in the matter.

Last edited:
So, he's eligible right away, correct? I'm not sure if he's affected by the new transfer rule (or if it's even gone into effect yet - wonky internet connection is hurting my Google game ;) ).

He's good to go, you only need to sit a year if its your second transfer or within some conferences.

When Chase Scanlan told John Desko he planned to decommit from Syracuse in 2016, Desko had one message.

“If you want to come back, our offer stands.”

Three years later, Scanlan faced the same uncertainty. He entered the transfer portal on June 19 following a 43-goal freshman season at Loyola. He didn’t know when the portal would open or where he’d end up. Desko, on the other hand, was compliant watching out for his former recruit.

So when he was officially cleared, Desko was the first to call.

When Chase Scanlan told John Desko he planned to decommit from Syracuse in 2016, Desko had one message.

“If you want to come back, our offer stands.”

Three years later, Scanlan faced the same uncertainty. He entered the transfer portal on June 19 following a 43-goal freshman season at Loyola. He didn’t know when the portal would open or where he’d end up. Desko, on the other hand, was compliant watching out for his former recruit.

So when he was officially cleared, Desko was the first to call.
Lot of context in that article. Well done by the DO

He's good to go, you only need to sit a year if its your second transfer or within some conferences.
Or if you are an athlete in certain sports--football, M/W basketball, baseball, hockey.

Unless you're Ohio St or Miami or other privileged programs, in which case your new QB is immediately good to go.

Excellent job. Syracuse.com could learn a thing or two.
They've gone off the rails. Anything that's not football or hoops, they have Kramer write it. He's a good beat/features guy, but he barely has time to breathe.

“For Desko to drive five hours to Ontario to show that he’s interested in me means a lot,” Scanlan said. “Because I know Desko doesn’t always do that.”

View attachment 167443
Knee-jerk reaction I'm not entirely sure isn't true: If he was familiar with Google Maps or Waze, it would have only taken three.

My preferred lineup now that chase is here
Scanlan
Dordevic
Rehfuss
Trimboli
Buttermore
Curry
What will prolly happen
Scanlan
Rehfuss
Cook
Dordevic
Curry
Trimboli
I think cook has great potential for 2021 and 2022 but he needs the weight room and more PT as the 4th attackman In 2020 IMO.

Chase is on Six Nations Arrows roster, a Ontario Jr A summer team with couple of present Cuse players, Clay Scanlan and Tehoka as well as several members of the Bomberry and Staats families including Jerry.

Recent game shows Cuse's Kevin Owen Hill scoring two goals as did Jeremy Bomberry. Hill is #24 and his scores are toward the beginning of posted video. Chase did not play in this contest.

Hill is lefty with skills, on smaller side but has Voigt like hands and good mobility. Possible sleeper