Chase Scanlan suspended indefinitely | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Chase Scanlan suspended indefinitely

Scanlan is a good player but the hype on his transfer including from this board (myself included ) was way over the top. I don't think it was a mistake to give him the #22, but people expecting him to be Mike Powell or Ryan Powell were not being realistic. Your other point is certainly true though, the COVID stuff and now this is not a great look for a program that is struggling record wise. This is not a good look at all.
58 points as a freshman. I think the hype was totally warranted, given that you have not usually reached your ceiling as a frosh. I still love his skill set as a passer and his ability to score through contact. Just three weeks ago after the Duke game I think anyone would have felt like he was worthy of 22, no matter what level of reverence they have for it, with the UVA game being more of a rough night. But man can a lot change in three weeks. I legit thought we were a top tier team after the Duke game.

We were surprised that Desko went to Hiltz so early. I hope he goes to Seebold. Maybe Desko does feel like his job and legacy are on the line. I have been critical of Seebold going into the season and thought he was maybe a bust. Was thinking he was like the other Texas guy...Ramono? I am forgetting the name. However, seems to have come into his own this year and his best work has been when inverted behind GLE.

Scanlon seems like a punk with alot of stuff he has pulled on the field. Dumb undisciplined penalties. I was happy when we got him as a transfer but his reasons and situation felt kind of murky. I was so happy about the recruiting win and getting a productive player that it was easy to look past the details around the decision to jump ship.

From what I can see on TV Scanlon does appear to have a big mouth on the field but it's hard to tell to much from TV. As for his transfer from Loyola is there something I missed with that? Seems like you're alluding that he had some problems down there too?

From what I can see on TV Scanlon does appear to have a big mouth on the field but it's hard to tell to much from TV. As for his transfer from Loyola is there something I missed with that? Seems like you're alluding that he had some problems down there too?

He flat out didn't get along with his teammates at Loyola. And then he publicly attacked them on Lax Sports Network. Later tried to walk it back but the damage was done.

Not saying Syracuse shouldn't have taken him in after that, but the red flags were there.

He flat out didn't get along with his teammates at Loyola. And then he publicly attacked them on Lax Sports Network. Later tried to walk it back but the damage was done.

Not saying Syracuse shouldn't have taken him in after that, but the red flags were there.

Thanks for the clarification, I guess I didn't remember that happening.

I'd go Ferris or another young guy. I like Cook but we have seen that movie already, he's simply not effective enough at this level as an attackmen.

Any chance we see the kid Jackson Birstwhistle or has he redshirted??

FWIW, the LaxFactor guy, who’s proven to be pretty clued in to the program, says that he had heard “rumblings” of “some kind of locker room disruption” following the UNC loss.

Also, & I never in my life thought that I’d be recommending a YouTube comments section lol, but the LaxFactor host’s ideas for the offensive lineup going forward are worth reading in the comments of this video. Some really intriguing insight/possibilities that I agree with.

Last edited:
Do teammates like him? I heard rumblings from a tied-in notre dame lacrosse family that he was not well liked. This was about 1 month ago and I dismissed as BS at the time.

I don't think anyone would be surprised if there was a post-game locker room incident, but that's not what I heard was the reason for the suspension. Heard it was a private issue that had nothing to do with the lacrosse team. Unfortunately don't have any more details than that. That's all I got. I wish Inside Lacrosse or another outlet would do some digging. In fact they probably already know what happened, but just aren't publicizing it.

I don't think anyone would be surprised if there was a post-game locker room incident, but that's not what I heard was the reason for the suspension. Heard it was a private issue that had nothing to do with the lacrosse team. Unfortunately don't have any more details than that. That's all I got. I wish Inside Lacrosse or another outlet would do some digging. In fact they probably already know what happened, but just aren't publicizing it.
Yeah, I'm guessing they know.

If it's a "private" issue, it won't be publicized.

FWIW, the LaxFactor guy, who’s proven to be pretty clued in to the program, says that he had heard “rumblings” of “some kind of locker room disruption” following the UNC loss.

Also, & I never in my life thought that I’d be recommending a YouTube comments section lol, but the LaxFactor host’s ideas for the offensive lineup going forward are worth reading in the comments of this video. Some really intriguing insight/possibilities that I agree with.
he emailed all of us late this morning to thank us for the ideas.

and i'd hesitate to run curry or dordevic out there vs. uva. curry will probably get the pole this time after the first hoos outing, but dordevic seemed ready to put stuff on his shoulders if need be, even if the game had gotten out of hand already. better to do that with a shorty than conners.

58 points as a freshman. I think the hype was totally warranted, given that you have not usually reached your ceiling as a frosh. I still love his skill set as a passer and his ability to score through contact. Just three weeks ago after the Duke game I think anyone would have felt like he was worthy of 22, no matter what level of reverence they have for it, with the UVA game being more of a rough night. But man can a lot change in three weeks. I legit thought we were a top tier team after the Duke game.
agree. Let's wait for more detail before we make him walk the plank. He's a very good player who sometimes jakes it. He's also a smart kid. Calm down.

Ouch. Too bad for him. It seemed like he was recently finally finding his role as a finisher and opportunistic dodger within our offense. He is certainly a talented player (although not as good as he thinks he is; especially when he had Pat Spencer making him look really good). I wish him all the best though, and I hope he gets his life in order. Not many players go to a third school.

Our offense really isn't our problem though, so this probably doesn't effect us too much. Offensive talent isn't this team's main problem, even without Scanlan. Seebold can play for him (Please don't put Cook out there) and Buttermore can then get more runs on Middie, but it sure would be nice to be able to put Sean Donnelly out there (one of the nations leading scorers, but yet he couldn't get ahead of Cook on the depth chart??!!). Cook is our new Jordan Evans. Nice guy, but he can't play at this level, and he ends up doing more harm then good for our team. We lose out on so much talent, because Desko has his favorites (Derek Maltz was a loss and now his brother Daniel Maltz is also tearing it up at Maryland, and don't forget Wiznauski, too). We're recruiting good enough offensive talent to be competitive (with the exception of next year's class), especially because of our alumni connections/family members of past players, tradition, and the Dome, but keeping them is a problem. That's on the coach.

Our problem is that our defensive talent isn't very good (Kennedy has not turned in to what we thought we was going to be), so if you're not that talented on D, then you better be well coached, have a good scheme, and be well disciplined. We don't appear to be any of those...

Ouch. Too bad for him. It seemed like he was recently finally finding his role as a finisher and opportunistic dodger within our offense. He is certainly a talented player (although not as good as he thinks he is; especially when he had Pat Spencer making him look really good). I wish him all the best though, and I hope he gets his life in order. Not many players go to a third school.

Our offense really isn't our problem though, so this probably doesn't effect us too much. Offensive talent isn't this team's main problem, even without Scanlan. Seebold can play for him (Please don't put Cook out there) and Buttermore can then get more runs on Middie, but it sure would be nice to be able to put Sean Donnelly out there (one of the nations leading scorers, but yet he couldn't get ahead of Cook on the depth chart??!!). Cook is our new Jordan Evans. Nice guy, but he can't play at this level, and he ends up doing more harm then good for our team. We lose out on so much talent, because Desko has his favorites (Derek Maltz was a loss and now his brother Daniel Maltz is also tearing it up at Maryland, and don't forget Wiznauski, too). We're recruiting good enough offensive talent to be competitive (with the exception of next year's class), especially because of our alumni connections/family members of past players, tradition, and the Dome, but keeping them is a problem. That's on the coach.

Our problem is that our defensive talent isn't very good (Kennedy has not turned in to what we thought we was going to be), so if you're not that talented on D, then you better be well coached, have a good scheme, and be well disciplined. We don't appear to be any of those...

You make some interesting points, especially in regards to Donelly and Desko sometimes staying with players a lot longer then he should. Your point about Maltz is wrong though, Derek lost his starting job to Randy Staats, Staats was clearly the better attackmen and while his family may not have loved it, it was the right move.

So wait based on your post are we assuming he is done with the program entirely? Feel like it's a little early to think that way.

Cook is our new Jordan Evans. Nice guy, but he can't play at this level, and he ends up doing more harm then good for our team.

Please tell me you're not implying Evans couldn't play at this level. He wasn't the player many people expected he'd be, but he still had nearly 100 career points. 44 as a senior on 31% shooting. No not what you hoped for when he came in but that is solid D1 level production. What has done more harm than good lately is the #22.

Those posters -and-jeffing when "we" lose should step off their pedestal IF we ever learn details of the transgression especially if it relates to a locker room bust up. I can only guess emotions from coaches to players were high at halftime, and cannot imagine end of game would be any better. I reserve judgment while distinguishing school matters from the locker room.

I have not written off Cook yet, but he is low on confidence. Midfield isn't his position, but I can see both him and Seebold getting a shot in Scanlan's absence (who starts doesn't mean much to me).

I like Seebold's dodging, but it is often from behind the cage, and I wonder how it could interfere with Rehfuss over a prolonged period compared to his current second line runs with a heavy dose of inverting.

Best thing for this team would be a couple positive Covid tests for the next 2 weeks and for this horrid season to end

You make some interesting points, especially in regards to Donelly and Desko sometimes staying with players a lot longer then he should. Your point about Maltz is wrong though, Derek lost his starting job to Randy Staats, Staats was clearly the better attackmen and while his family may not have loved it, it was the right move.
Great point. I actually meant Dylan Maltz! Sorry about that. His parents must like the first names of their kids to start with D (Derek, Dylan, and Daniel). Staats is an all-time SU great, and it's TOO bad that his younger brother Austin never came here, too. What a baller! I do wonder if Dylan Maltz would have stayed if he wasn't behind Evans at attack, and then, who knows, but maybe his brother, Daniel, would be playing at 'Cuse right now, too.
Donnelly is balling right now (and so is Wiznauski, another SU transfer)! What studs that we had on our practice squads! When I wrote last year that Cook was struggling and shouldn't be playing, and I wondered what great players we had that were sitting on the bench, well, I now have my answer... Donnelly.
Just like with Evans not producing while great players were either transferring or sitting on the pine (eg. Stephen Rehfuss, a future all-American, was riding the pine watching Evans; and this is not a hindsight 20/20 remark; I said this from when Rehfuss first got here that he should be playing over Evans). Jordan Evans should not have been a 3 year starter for SU, and his numbers are inflated because the amount of minutes he played in his career and the amount of point blank shots he scored because of his great teammates (if PER/Player Efficiency Rating existed in lax like bball, then you would see that he would have one of the lowest PERs in school history, and Cook is unfortunately on track for the same abysmal efficiency rating)

Sorry, I have no idea if Scanlan is coming back, but Suspended Indefinitely doesn't sound good. I think we at least have to prepare that he may not come back, but I certainly hope that he does.

My main point was just that this is not as big deal as it seems, at least for this year. Our Scoring Offense is ranked 15th in the country (not great, but pretty good; Hiltz and Seebold can make up for Scanlan's loss), but our Scoring Defense is ranked 52nd in the country and giving up 13 goals a game! That’s the most goals per game SU lacrosse has ever given up... ever! And we have an All American quality goalie!! Imagine how many goals per game we’d be giving up without Porter?! Defense still wins championships, and our D (not our offense or even face-offs) is why we’re not even going to make the tournament. I used to like Lelan Rogers, too, but someone has to be held accountable for having the worst defense in school history. I didn’t see this coming. Our Scoring Defense was ranked 11th in the nation in last year’s shortened season, and only giving up 9 goals a game.

Last edited:
I think Trimboli would do well in a righty wing / pseudo crease attackman role. Most of his goals have come on crease C cuts and crease runs from up top. The other option would be to move Hiltz to an inside role, Rehfuss to Left Wing and put Seebold at X. I tend to think they want to keep that first line midfield together but I feel like Trimboli has been lost in translation. With him being the third best dodger on that line he isnt getting the runs he has in the past. Move him to Attack get him more minutes and more shots on goal. I would favor Quinn to replace him as he functions as an outside shooter who doesnt dodge like Seebold. Seebold is the spark on that second line I would love if he could stay there because without him the dodging on that line is minimal. In a way something needed to change, maybe this will be good for this team?

Great point. I actually meant Dylan Maltz! Sorry about that. His parents must like the first names of their kids to start with D (Derek, Dylan, and Daniel). Staats is an all-time SU great, and it's TOO bad that his younger brother Austin never came here, too. What a baller! I do wonder if Dylan Maltz would have stayed if he wasn't behind Evans at attack, and then, who knows, but maybe his brother, Daniel, would be playing at 'Cuse right now, too.
Donnelly is balling right now (and so is Wiznauski, another SU transfer)! What studs that we had on our practice squads! When I wrote last year that Cook was struggling and shouldn't be playing, and I wondered what great players we had that were sitting on the bench, well, I now have my answer... Donnelly.
Just like with Evans not producing while great players were either transferring or sitting on the pine (eg. Stephen Rehfuss, a future all-American, was riding the pine watching Evans; and this is not a hindsight 20/20 remark; I said this from when Rehfuss first got here that he should be playing over Evans). Jordan Evans should not have been a 3 year starter for SU, and his numbers are inflated because the amount of minutes he played in his career and the amount of point blank shots he scored because of his great teammates (if PER/Player Efficiency Rating existed in lax like bball, then you would see that he would have one of the lowest PERs in school history, and Cook is unfortunately on track for the same abysmal efficiency rating)

Sorry, I have no idea if Scanlan is coming back, but Suspended Indefinitely doesn't sound good. I think we at least have to prepare that he may not come back, but I certainly hope that he does.

My main point was just that this is not as big deal as it seems, at least for this year. Our Scoring Offense is ranked 15th in the country (not great, but pretty good; Hiltz and Seebold can make up for Scanlan's loss), but our Scoring Defense is ranked 52nd in the country and giving up 13 goals a game! That’s the most goals per game SU lacrosse has ever given up... ever! And we have an All American quality goalie!! Imagine how many goals per game we’d be giving up without Porter?! Defense still wins championships, and our D (not our offense or even face-offs) is why we’re not even going to make the tournament. I used to like Lelan Rogers, too, but someone has to be held accountable for having the worst defense in school history. I didn’t see this coming. Our Scoring Defense was ranked 11th in the nation in last year’s shortened season, and only giving up 9 goals a game.
Dylan Maltz left because Kevin Rice was in front of him, both right handed. Jordan Evans was left handed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom