Chat with non-SU player | Syracusefan.com

Chat with non-SU player

Dick_in_MI

Emeritus Legend
My son and daughter-in-law teach at the University of Oregon and we are in Eugene for the holidays. As I walked into the breakfast area at the Hyatt this morning I noticed what was obviously a basketball team having breakfast.

It turned out to be Alabama State, in town for a game tomorrow. As an aside, one of their assistants reminded me a lot of Griff. Anyway, I ended up chatting with one of their players. A very nice kid, and naturally I mentioned SU. He immediately said “oh man, they are so long.” He knew all about the SU zone and how JB recruits long players to defend into the lanes of the zone. In fact, this random player from a small school probably understood our defensive philosophy and what JB looked for in recruits as well as a random fan in the Dome.

I wished him well the rest of the way. Later I realized their record was 1-11 and given their game tomorrow versus the #6 Ducks, chatting about SU will probably be the highlight of his weekend.

My son and daughter-in-law teach at the University of Oregon and we are in Eugene for the holidays. As I walked into the breakfast area at the Hyatt this morning I noticed what was obviously a basketball team having breakfast.

It turned out to be Alabama State, in town for a game tomorrow. As an aside, one of their assistants reminded me a lot of Griff. Anyway, I ended up chatting with one of their players. A very nice kid, and naturally I mentioned SU. He immediately said “oh man, they are so long.” He knew all about the SU zone and how JB recruits long players to defend into the lanes of the zone. In fact, this random player from a small school probably understood our defensive philosophy and what JB looked for in recruits as well as a random fan in the Dome.

I wished him well the rest of the way. Later I realized their record was 1-11 and given their game tomorrow versus the #6 Ducks, chatting about SU will probably be the highlight of his weekend.
The last man on the end of the bench of any D-I team knows more about the sport than just about all of us on this board. We should remind ourselves of that from time to time.

The last man on the end of the bench of any D-I team knows more about the sport than just about all of us on this board. We should remind ourselves of that from time to time.

Seeing some of these low IQ players I'd have to disagree with this.

The older you get the smarter you get, whether it's in general or with sports. You dont make the same dumb mistakes you made when you were younger.

Did I play in D1, no, but I've played basketball for around 30 years and have been watching it since I can remember.

No matter how you break it down there is a lot of data in the minds of posters on this board and even with the knowledge the last guy on the bench may have, I think you're selling the knowledge around here short, including your own. I've read your posts for years, I'm willing to bet you have more basketball knowledge than Sidibe, I'd bet a lot of money on it too.

The older you get the smarter you get, whether it's in general or with sports. You dont make the same dumb mistakes you made when you were younger.

Did I play in D1, no, but I've played basketball for around 30 years and have been watching it since I can remember.

No matter how you break it down there is a lot of data in the minds of posters on this board and even with the knowledge the last guy on the bench may have, I think you're selling the knowledge around here short, including your own. I've read your posts for years, I'm willing to bet you have more basketball knowledge than Sidibe, I'd bet a lot of money on it too.
But--I've never been to a clinic conducted by NBA/college/H.S. coaches. I've never been in a D-I locker room, I've never had a private, hoops discussion with Boeheim, Coach K., etc.

Re: wisdom as one ages--see Socrates. My knowledge is that I know what I don't know.

great to hear from you again, Dick

Not taking a side, but I will tell you from first hand knowledge that if you ever get a chance to watch a game with a NBA GM or a D-1 Head Coach that they are watching a completely different game than you or I are.

Not taking a side, but I will tell you from first hand knowledge that if you ever get a chance to watch a game with a NBA GM or a D-1 Head Coach that they are watching a completely different game than you or I are.

Absolutely, I've watched games with a guy in florida who worked in a NBA front office when I lived down there in the early 2010s. There is a lot of knowledge and there is no debating that and you learn an awful lot.

It's like that with any sport. People who play at high levels know more than the average Joe.

Absolutely, I've watched games with a guy in florida who worked in a NBA front office when I lived down there in the early 2010s. There is a lot of knowledge and there is no debating that and you learn an awful lot.

Having the chance to work with a former ACC SG and who has coached a bunch since then most certainly validates your point but also agree there is a lot of knowledge here not taken for granted. Being someone who both played plenty and watched a ton as well - it wasn't that distant in terms of what we were seeing. His takes on the SU offense and the zone are very much in line with many here. This includes the lack of creativity in the offense, constant inability to have post offense and the curiosity of why the defense is not consistently a pressure back into a zone vs just a half court zone.

In fairness he also spoke highly of many of our teams and the execution. Not to get overly anecdotal but I definitely think your points are very valid.

This is good stuff--but I'm just happy to see you resurfacing here in our home court, Dick. Happy holidays and many happy returns to you and yours. Here's hoping you can make some return visits in the near-ish future. I--and I think we--miss having you around.

I see teams in the airports all the time as I travel for work. I always stop and chat to see who they are going to play. Was in Columbus one year and went through security with Scott Drew. His Baylor squad had just done a unadvertised scrimmage with OSU. He wasn't pleased with how it went, but was a really nice guy.

This kid's highlight was talking to Dick_in_MI . Like all of ours are at tailgates.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom