Chaz Owens Joins SU Hoops Roster | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Chaz Owens Joins SU Hoops Roster

Interesting way for one man to celebrate another man scoring. :)
Haha, dude! I just edited my initial post. That had never even crossed my mind until now. My mind is blown, I need answers!

Last edited:
I don't think that running Washington off to open the scholarship is really the
right way to find him a spot. Doesn't exactly send the best message to other
potential recruits. I'd understand a bit more - maybe - if you're trying to find
room for a top 50 kid, but that's kinda lame for a kid who, without the name,
would be a nobody.

Kev

Pretty sure Washington put himself into the transfer portal.

I am a big fan of legacy recruits. Hopefully, he just has some late blooming genes !!!!

welcome aboard, chaz !!!

Pretty sure Washington put himself into the transfer portal.
Pretty sure very few of us that post here, if any, know exactly what happened. You could be right, but there are other possibilities.

Last edited:
Billy Owens played for 3 years at SU and was a national player of year type player.
No problem with JB giving his kid the 4th year scholarship and build a network at SU.
Doubtful he will be a 4 year scholarship player but SU doing right by alums is a good thing.

Pretty sure very few of us, if any, that post here know exactly what happened. You could be right, but there are other possibilities.
It doesn't seem like the most parsimonious answer is that Syracuse deliberately left themselves with zero back up guards. Running off Washington doesn't make any sense to me. On the other hand, I could see why Washington would want to leave for more playing time.

What I think you meant was, "Grabbing the open scholarship recently
vacated by the exile, er, 'encouragement to transfer', er, departure of
Howard Washington to South Ala."
You seriously think Howard was desperate to serve in a very minor role at SU this year, but was pressured by the coaching staff to leave against his will? You don't allow for the possibility that Howard could see there was a good chance his role this year would likely be unsatisfying, so he was eager to find an opportunity elsewhere, where he might even have a chance to start?

potential recruits. I'd understand a bit more - maybe - if you're trying to find
would be a nobody.

Kev
is this a sonnet or sestina

Fwiw I was told that our staff woulda loved to have HW back. I think this is just a situation where the player wanted more time and knew it wasn't going to happen here. I think its that simple. For awhile I thought he might stick it out. Im happy for the young man.

Screenshot_20200902-175120_Instagram.jpg

would be a nobody.

Kev

Posts like these are why the internet sucks. Why would you post something that has no basis in either fact or educated conjecture that would cast the program in a negative light? Honest question. I struggle to see why you would imply that Howard was "run off" to open a scholarship for a legacy when there is absolutely no evidence that was the case and when there were five months between the two events.

Think before you post.

I never heard of him. Is he ranked? That article today surprised me. Any info/ comments? I do love Billy!

I'm sure his father told him, "you got a shot at the big time son". If he responds with relentless hard work, who's to say what he will develop into.

would be a nobody.

Kev
Washington wasn't run off for Owens. Your premise is dead wrong.

would be a nobody.

Kev

Washington’s mom was complaining on Twitter about her son’s lack of PT like last November. Early in the season.

It seems pretty obvious he’s leaving because he wants to play more.

“Run off”...Why make things up?

Washington wasn't run off for Owens. Your premise is dead wrong.

Exactly. Washington has been in the portal since the end of the season and at that point, their scholarship at their current school is no longer guaranteed. Once a player is officially in the portal, his scholarship can be rescinded and offered to another incoming student-athlete. So JB didn't have to wait to use the scholarship if he was just running him off for Owens.