Chaz Owens Joins SU Hoops Roster | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Chaz Owens Joins SU Hoops Roster

I would imagine that Chaz has been told exactly what his status is on the team. Work hard in practice, don't expect any playing time, you may have an opportunity to play in a few years if you work very hard. Similar to a PWO.

If he understands where he stands, he could be a very valuable practice player and an asset. If he thinks he's going to play immediately he's in for a shock.

Not to be jaded, but ultimately this seems like a favor to an alum.

I would imagine that Chaz has been told exactly what his status is on the team. Work hard in practice, don't expect any playing time, you may have an opportunity to play in a few years if you work very hard. Similar to a PWO.

If he understands where he stands, he could be a very valuable practice player and an asset. If he thinks he's going to play immediately he's in for a shock.

Agreed across the board.

Reading the comments on this thread my expectations weren't very high. However, the tape of his highlights from Shipley School actually looked pretty good. I know highlight tapes can be very deceiving but in the long run he may surprise. Appears to have some decent size for a guard, some outside shots were falling, guard skills, and dunks with ease. Plus it appears that he spent a post grad year which gave him an additional year to work on his game. Nice to see the opportunity go to a legacy recruit...

"By the grace of God, and Boeheim."

Reading the comments on this thread my expectations weren't very high. However, the tape of his highlights from Shipley School actually looked pretty good. I know highlight tapes can be very deceiving but in the long run he may surprise. Appears to have some decent size for a guard, some outside shots were falling, guard skills, and dunks with ease. Plus it appears that he spent a post grad year which gave him an additional year to work on his game. Nice to see the opportunity go to a legacy recruit...
yeah...that behind the back pass caught my eye...that and the range from deep. At 6'5"..he can dunk and at the bare minimum be a player that can come in and throw some size around...which you never know when might be needed a la the walk-on that played in the tourney with Battle and Howard a few years ago.

When you look at all the high ranked players that do nothing and fail to live up to their top 100 rankings...and the mid major players that come out of nowhere to light it up in the tourney...would be extra sweet if Owens became that kinda story.

To me, he fits the "last scholarship" bill pretty well...athletic with upside and likely very very willing to give 100% every day...maybe surrounded by a lot of talent...he could take his game up a few levels???...doesn't seem like he was really super tested by opposition in the highlight clips.

yeah...that behind the back pass caught my eye...that and the range from deep. At 6'5"..he can dunk and at the bare minimum be a player that can come in and throw some size around...which you never know when might be needed a la the walk-on that played in the tourney with Battle and Howard a few years ago.

If someone had to get that extra scholarship, I am happy to see it go to a legacy. Depending how future recruiting goes, Chaz may not keep it very long. But this is another example of the tightness between Coach Boeheim and so many of his players, following their careers. That is something recruits and their parents often notice which may give us a tiny bit of an edge on the trail.

At the very least, I hope that at some point Chaz gets his wild, wacky "walk on/last scholie" moment in the sun, a la Braedon Bayer (Mich St. 2018), Justin Thomas (6OT UConn game), Donovan McNabb (Gtown 1997), or Doyin Akintobi-Adeyeye (2015 Orange Madness dunk contest winner). In my time on the Hill, some of the deeper walk-ons became minor celebrities for a day by sinking the deciding 100+ bucket in the "We want fries!!!" promo era of the Carrier Dome.

There is no way that this coaching staff would give a scholarship just because that player is a famous players son. No way. He fit the bill of a guy who won't come in and have expectations and promises made to him. He just happens to be Billy Owens son, so quit putting all this negative narrative on him. He's had to deal with a big shadow his whole life.

There is no way that this coaching staff would give a scholarship just because that player is a famous players son. No way. He fit the bill of a guy who won't come in and have expectations and promises made to him. He just happens to be Billy Owens son, so quit putting all this negative narrative on him. He's had to deal with a big shadow his whole life.
You can think whatever you want. Your opinion is your opinion. It doesn’t mean it’s right.

If this kid wasn’t Billy Owens son it’s unlikely we recruit him. It’s okay and actually a good thing JB would do right by an alums son. Especially an alumni like Billy Owens who helped SU basketball a lot.

You can think whatever you want. Your opinion is your opinion. It doesn’t mean it’s right.

If this kid wasn’t Billy Owens son it’s unlikely we recruit him. It’s okay and actually a good thing JB would do right by an alums son. Especially an alumni like Billy Owens who helped SU basketball a lot.
He's had to deal people drawing conclusions about his basketball abilities his whole life because of who his father is and immediately people here are jumping to conclusions about why he is on the team. I think that is really unfair to him and the coaches. Your observation about my opinion applies to the inverse as well.

He's had to deal people drawing conclusions about his basketball abilities his whole life because of who his father is and immediately people here are jumping to conclusions about why he is on the team. I think that is really unfair to him and the coaches. Your observation about my opinion applies to the inverse as well.
What you just said has nothing to do with college basketball recruiting.
This kid is coming to SU which is awesome.
He is the son of a legend and is getting a scholarship. No need to say anymore but look at his offers. Players get offers no matter whose son they are my god.
You just don’t care about facts.

JB doing right by an alum is the good thing. He had a spot so he gave it to a project.
JB has done this for years. Sean Williams, Devin McBribe etc.

Good for this kid.

Washington will always be Orange/family no matter where he plays! Mutual love. Gl Chaz

Seems decent but don’t we need a guy who can handle the ball if JG gets in foul trouble? Maybe they feel Kadry can do that just fin. I would they want a jitterbug who can dribble and pass or break a press if needed. Oh well.

It's great to see Billy out there setting screens for his son.

Looking at the film, he could grow into a rotation player... He has a nice looking soft shot and seems to be athletic/long enough to man the top of the zone effectively. Seems really well coached, I liked the cut to the basket in the high low, not a lot of that in high school highlight films.