where it was in 2008

115th in 2008,
116th this year

there are more teams in fbs now so they have that going for them

where it was in 2008

115th in 2008,
116th this year

there are more teams in fbs now so they have that going for them

That's not helpful. Neither is our YPP vs FSU avg YPP. We underperformed. Our "good half" was less than their avg.

First time this year with Dungey at QB.

Yikes.

That's not helpful. Neither is our YPP vs FSU avg YPP. We underperformed. Our "good half" was less than their avg.

Yikes.
you know i was right all along, don't you?

you know i was right all along, don't you?

I think you're more right than wrong - but you do go off on tangents where you overplay your "Elmworst" cards. We still have put together good halves. And Pitt was a decent day on O.

But yeah - it's not looking good.

Net yardage (offense minus defense) is my favorite stat to analyze a team.

Well, it used to be anyway, because we're 112th in the country at negative 83 yards per game.

I don't see that number getting better the rest of the way.

Yikes.

We put up the 3rd worst YPP against FSU among FBS opponents this season. Only USF and BC did worse than us. GA Tech (5.57), Louisville (5.8), Miami 6.07), and Wake (4.41) were all better. As talented as FSU's D might be, other teams have moved the ball on them far better than us.

I never expected to beat FSU. But we could have "looked" a helluva lot better. The O is sputtering as we get healthier. It's discouraging.

We put up the 3rd worst YPP against FSU among FBS opponents this season. Only USF and BC did worse than us. GA Tech (5.57), Louisville (5.8), Miami 6.07), and Wake (4.41) were all better. As talented as FSU's D might be, other teams have moved the ball on them far better than us.

I never expected to beat FSU. But we could have "looked" a helluva lot better. The O is sputtering as we get healthier. It's discouraging.

and we get pushed around alot in second halves which to me shows a lack of conditioning if anything.

Scooch said:
We put up the 3rd worst YPP against FSU among FBS opponents this season. Only USF and BC did worse than us. GA Tech (5.57), Louisville (5.8), Miami 6.07), and Wake (4.41) were all better. As talented as FSU's D might be, other teams have moved the ball on them far better than us. I never expected to beat FSU. But we could have "looked" a helluva lot better. The O is sputtering as we get healthier. It's discouraging.

Agreed. That's the main reason my opinion is starting to change. I expected to lose. Just didn't expect to look that bad, especially on O.

Agreed. That's the main reason my opinion is starting to change. I expected to lose. Just didn't expect to look that bad, especially on O.

Agreed. We've had moments of function, but many more moments of dysfunction. And we're supposed to be seeing progress, not decline, as the seasons goes along. Our offensive performance against UVA was particularly troubling. That is a flat out bad defense, and we managed all of 334 total yards in a 3 OT game, and 24 points is regulation.

I think the offense has looked good at times, more because of Dungey making something out of nothing, than because of offensive scheme or play calling. We have had some good series but I do think that no matter how bad a team is, you can always pick out instances of success. I've been doing it for years with SU and my NFL team, I'm a pro at it. I thought after the 1st series of the Chicago Bears 1st game of the season last year that the team was playoff bound.

I think we do the same with SU offense this year. It looks better than last year but the question is, why does it look better. OC is better but wasn't that hard to do, QB play with Dungey is terrific so there is some gift wrapping there, numbers are "better" than last year but again, how could they not be better and how could what we see not look at least a little better.

But I think with all Millhouse's stats/numbers, the reality is, we are still so far away from even an average offense it's scary some people think we pass the look test. What's the most troubling is we have some playmakers and we have a QB we all think is the future yet we are still one of the worst offensive teams in the country again.

Agreed. We've had moments of function, but many more moments of dysfunction. And we're supposed to be seeing progress, not decline, as the seasons goes along. Our offensive performance against UVA was particularly troubling. That is a flat out bad defense, and we managed all of 334 total yards in a 3 OT game, and 24 points is regulation.
...of which only 17 were scored by the offense...

...of which only 17 were scored by the offense...

Thanks. I keep forgetting that our O is even worse than it appears when it comes to scoring points.

We can't stretch the field and that is killing us. The scheme is all over the place. Multiple can also mean scattered and without a true identity, and that is the case here. I love Dungey, Ish, JF, Strickland, Erv. Some nice building blocks, but it sure as hell isn't showing up on the scoreboard. Getting zero offensive TDs in the second half of the last three games is telling. Other teams adjust, we don't.

I couldn't help myself after reading this thread. I looked up our stats. Cold hard facts here:

116 in Total Offense.
86 in Total Defense (can't imagine what it would be without the Rhode Island game).

I guess it can get worse. Somehow. Well, not really. But hey, we're 13th in the ACC in recruiting!!!!!

I'm bitter.

OrangeCrush22 said:
Put Lewis in the slot and throw over the middle. Get Provo out there as fullback for more protection and lead blocking on runs.

If Lewis plays the slot, you're removing touches Phillips and Strickland.

If Lewis plays the slot, you're removing touches Phillips and Strickland.

I think Lewis is our best WR and I mean that in all seriousness. When I think of a WR I don't care about speed, or freak athletic ability. I only care whether they get it done on the field. Lewis gets open and makes catches, if he was thrown the ball more regularly he would catch the ball all game, unlike my favorite player Ish who disappears for half of most games.

SS losing TheCusian is like when President Lyndon Baines Johnson said about Vietnam that "if I've lost Cronkite, I've lost the country"

Alsacs said:
SS losing TheCusian is like when President Lyndon Baines Johnson said about Vietnam that "if I've lost Cronkite, I've lost the country"

I'm no longer responding to your posts because you said that one vague half-crazy thing once.

But yeah - not completely lost - but pretty close. If we don't win another game, I think you have to make a move.

qdawgg said:
I think Lewis is our best WR and I mean that in all seriousness. When I think of a WR I don't care about speed, or freak athletic ability. I only care whether they get it done on the field. Lewis gets open and makes catches, if he was thrown the ball more regularly he would catch the ball all game, unlike my favorite player Ish who disappears for half of most games.

I think he's #2.5. Better than Estime, but I don't think you can bench him. He's a breakaway kind of threat. But Lewis is dependable.

Ishmeal disappeared from the FSU game because he had the best corner in the country on him. Pitt game he came up big vs man to man coverage.

I'm no longer responding to your posts because you said that one vague half-crazy thing once.

But yeah - not completely lost - but pretty close. If we don't win another game, I think you have to make a move.
Your first sentence made what was a good day great. I am off to MNF now thank you and I hold you to what you said in this post as it will save me frustration.

Have a good night.

I think he's #2.5. Better than Estime, but I don't think you can bench him. He's a breakaway kind of threat. But Lewis is dependable.

Ishmeal disappeared from the FSU game because he had the best corner in the country on him. Pitt game he came up big vs man to man coverage.

I love Ish and I'm not surprised with his performance at FSU but there have been other games, I don't think all his fault though. What the hell was Estime doing on Saturday though? There were at least two plays where he looked completely uninterested in catching the ball. One in particular he literally slowed down right after his break and started "jogging" the route as the ball was coming at him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom