Chris Ash thread... | Page 28 | Syracusefan.com

Chris Ash thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting that we are searching for a new coach the same year as Rutgers. This will give us an idea as to which job is perceived as the better one.
Other than money, a lot may depend on whether the candidate prefers the B1G or the ACC.

Interesting that we are searching for a new coach the same year as Rutgers. This will give us an idea as to which job is perceived as the better one.

What's more interesting is the perception of Rugters posters on their open position. Many put it ahead of Mizzou, South Carolina and others. lol

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer 30m30 minutes ago
Albert Breer Retweeted Dan Covello

I just know the D took off when he came aboard. And young guys like Bosa, Apple, Bell, Lee, Raekwon have developed.

Albert Breer added,

Dan Covello @DanCovello
@AlbertBreer Hey Breer, talk #Rutgers is looking at Chris Ash. Thoughts on him/how he'd be as a HC?

I don't know what kind of offense Ash would choose to run. He worked for four years under Bret Bielema and saw the power run game he ran at Wisconsin and Arkansas. But he's also seen the Urban Meyer spread up close for two years, and he and Tom Herman worked together here and at Iowa State.

A pure guess? Ash would want to run the spread with a dual-threat quarterback and is telling potential employers that. If a school wants to sell an exciting brand of offense as part of the package, Ash could offer that without being an offensive coach himself.

Also from that, for everyone saying Fickell is the one responsible for that defense, not Ash:

If Ash leaves, the Ohio State defense is in much better shape than it was two years ago when Ash arrived. Meyer zeroed in on the style of defense he wanted to run and found a coach in Ash who ran it. Ash has said he wouldn't have come here if there wasn't agreement on that.

The Buckeyes have a co-coordinator in Luke Fickell steeped in this style now, and whatever Meyer would do to replace Ash, the defense isn't changing. It's going to be aggressive man coverage. Fickell could run that as the solo coordinator if Meyer hired a younger secondary coach. Or Meyer could bring in someone to share those coordinator duties again.

Ohio State would not have won the national title last season without the way the defense played, and Ash deserves a ton of credit for that. So does Fickell and every player on that defense, as well as Larry Johnson and Kerry Coombs.

Then the defense got better this year.

Ash would be a major loss. But at least right now the Buckeyes know what they want to do on defense and how to do it. That won't change.

Sounds to me like Meyer brought in Ash specifically to install this style of defense.

Also from that, for everyone saying Fickell is the one responsible for that defense, not Ash:

If Ash leaves, the Ohio State defense is in much better shape than it was two years ago when Ash arrived. Meyer zeroed in on the style of defense he wanted to run and found a coach in Ash who ran it. Ash has said he wouldn't have come here if there wasn't agreement on that.

The Buckeyes have a co-coordinator in Luke Fickell steeped in this style now, and whatever Meyer would do to replace Ash, the defense isn't changing. It's going to be aggressive man coverage. Fickell could run that as the solo coordinator if Meyer hired a younger secondary coach. Or Meyer could bring in someone to share those coordinator duties again.

Ohio State would not have won the national title last season without the way the defense played, and Ash deserves a ton of credit for that. So does Fickell and every player on that defense, as well as Larry Johnson and Kerry Coombs.

Then the defense got better this year.

Ash would be a major loss. But at least right now the Buckeyes know what they want to do on defense and how to do it. That won't change.

Sounds to me like Meyer brought in Ash specifically to install this style of defense.

Yup in the secondary. From what I read Meyer was looking to fix the secondary and the way they played. They were ranked over 100 nationally the year before he got here. That had to be fixed.

Well that just flat out isn't true, not even the realm of accurate.

Period.
Thanks for your enlightening perspective. Care to elaborate or just want to stomp your feet some more? Pasqualoni, under Rogers, was 68-28-1 with 6 top 25 finishes. Pasqualoni under DeLeone was 39-33 with 1 top 25 appearance. It didn't matter that Pasqualoni was a defensive guy, it mattered who his OC was. Period, question mark, hypen, exclamation point.

Yup in the secondary. From what I read Meyer was looking to fix the secondary and the way they played. They were ranked over 100 nationally the year before he got here. That had to be fixed.
You have your own narrative and you're sticking with it, I'll give you that much. Urban Meyer wanted someone to come in and fix his defense. He brought in Chris Ash and people around Ohio State are saying he'd be a major loss.

You have your own narrative and you're sticking with it, I'll give you that much. Urban Meyer wanted someone to come in and fix his defense. He brought in Chris Ash and people around Ohio State are saying he'd be a major loss.

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-...on-ohio-states-secondary-sharpening-the-sword

Talks about it here. Talks about he was bought in and fixed the way the secondary played. The base defense remained the same but the style in which the secondary changed.

"Ohio State attributed most of the success to Ash's new, more aggressive defensive scheme which featured a lot of press coverage and allowed some of the Buckeyes' better players to become playmakers."

“Our base defense is not going to change, but as is the case in every offseason you try to find ways to make things better," Ash said Thursday after spring practice No. 7. "You identify what offenses did to attack you and you try to come up with a couple wrinkles here and there to help you with that."

"There's quite a distinct difference in how Ohio State's secondary has approached the last two springs."

"Two years ago, Ohio State ranked 11th in the Big Ten in pass defense, giving up 268 yards per game through the air. In 2014, though, the Buckeyes surrendered just 201 yards per contest in the same department. That mark was good for sixth in the Big Ten."

So? That's part of the defense, yes. That article has an Ohio State beat writer coming right out and saying that Chris Ash is most responsible for the way the defense plays. The style the entire defense plays was installed with Ash brought in to install it.

It says the base defense remained the same with a few small wrinkles but the style of the way the corners played was different. Ash changed them to more of a press coverage style.

It says the base defense remained the same with a few small wrinkles but the style of the way the corners played was different. Ash changed them to more of a press coverage style.

Yea it sounds like Urban had a base idea of what he wanted his Defense to do and he brought Ash in because he fit that style

Meyer zeroed in on the style of defense he wanted to run and found a coach in Ash who ran it. Ash has said he wouldn't have come here if there wasn't agreement on that.

Yea it sounds like Urban had a base idea of what he wanted his Defense to do and he brought Ash in because he fit that style
Well that's weird. An offensive minded coach who also instilled a good defense? I thought we only got to choose one or the other.

goes without saying, they're 25-2 since he got there. and one of the losses was a good defensive performance. i wouldn't expect them to look at it too deeply

I think Ash might be the next hot assistant but a couple years down the road. Is it wrong to get in on something early?

only if we give the guy 6 years to make it happen :)

Well that's weird. An offensive minded coach who also instilled a good defense? I thought we only got to choose one or the other.
OSU doesn't have to choose. we do

You keep Scott Shafer if the alternative is some Ohio State D Coordinator from Iowa with no connections to Northeast.

I can live with almost any hire but not a career D Coordinator like Chris Ash.

I talked with someone last night who has family close to the Buckeyes program and was saying how they do not want to lose Ash, but know he is the next "hot assistant".

upload_2015-12-2_13-52-54.png

In other news Jim Reith must be drinking early today, he's been going nutty all over the tweeter. Or he's spent too much time reading through all these threads and it's driven him mad

Status
Not open for further replies.