Chris Bell appreciation | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Chris Bell appreciation

I also keep saying, I think we'll see a lot of really effective two man game with Bell dumping it in to Lampkin. No double, and Lampkin gets a bucket. Double comes, and Bell floats to the wing or corner for a clean three.
If Bell wants to play at the next level, defense and rebounding will help. He has the athletic ability, but does he want it enough.
If he does make that kind of jump, this could be a top 15 team. Being able to drive occasionally would make him almost unstoppable.

Besides being a great shooter like Buddy I think the two are similar in one other important way. They abuse smaller defenders. By Buddy's senior year he was pretty much automatic with a smaller defender on him. He might have averaged 25 a game had teams not been able to guard him with a taller forward. Unfortunately the way that team was set up teams could guard him with a taller forward and not pay for it, so they pretty much always did.

You started to see the same thing last year with Bell. He was absolutely smoking smaller defenders, but again, teams were able to put taller forwards on him without paying any significant price because our other forward was either Taylor or Copeland (both essentially guards).

Next year, however, our other forward should be either Freeman or Davis. Two guys who would also welcome a smaller defender. So any team that plays 3 guards (which is most) is going to have a weakness Syracuse is very well set up to exploit. I think it's going to lead to a huge year for Bell.
Good deal, my friend.
And as always, go to the General and save some time!

Technically you don’t know this to be true. A dead man lying on the court in a serendipitous position could have a missed shot careen right into their rigor mortis induced clutching fingers
not if you SARCOUGHphAGUS it up . but you do risk the 5K second call.

Technically you don’t know this to be true. A dead man lying on the court in a serendipitous position could have a missed shot careen right into their rigor mortis induced clutching fingers
But frequently enough to average that?

What if a player unfortunately passed in game and already had 4? In theory you could rebound less than a dead guy.
Cosmo Kramer Mind Blown GIF

I also keep saying, I think we'll see a lot of really effective two man game with Bell dumping it in to Lampkin. No double, and Lampkin gets a bucket. Double comes, and Bell floats to the wing or corner for a clean three.
Maybe. More likely that double will come from the weak side in that scenario.

IMO, Bell is not ideally suited to a 2 man, strong side game. He would be ideal as the shooter away - positioned on the weak side. In a 4 out set with a legitimate post up threat, the shooter away is the most difficult player for the D to account for in just about any m2m defense (or zone for that matter). The strong side wing in a 2 man game is typically more effective as a triple threat - shoot, drive, or re-feed the post.

definately needs to improve his game. needs more hops and handle. so let's make him dribble a basketball everywhere he goes this summer wearing 10 lb ankle weights.

Bell's game can jump to another level if instead of sitting in a corner, he moves around like the great shooting guards Reggie Miller and Ray Allen. That would mean the coaches designing in practice schemes where there are picks to free him of his defender. Draymond really had a point as to why after a hot first half in a game earlier this year, Bell cooled off when the opposing team had a defender babysit Chris in a corner the entire 2nd half and we did nothing to free him up.

Last edited:
Bell's game can jump to another level if instead of sitting in a corner, he moves around like the great shooting guards Reggie Miller and Ray Allen. That would mean the coaches designing in practice schemes where there are picks to free hi, of his defender. Draymond really had a point as to why after a hot first half in a game earlier this year, Bell cooled off when the opposing team had a defender babysit Chris in a corner the entire 2nd half and we did nothing to free him up.
There are so many guys who can shoot like Chris Bell, if just moving around off the ball could make a hall of of fame there would be many more.

Watching Chris shoot and I personally think he's elite, but literally everything else he does is far below average.

I want to believe he can become a complete player sooner than later but take away shooting what has he improved on in the two seasons here? Nothing.

There are so many guys who can shoot like Chris Bell, if just moving around off the ball could make a hall of of fame there would be many more.

Watching Chris shoot and I personally think he's elite, but literally everything else he does is far below average.

I want to believe he can become a complete player sooner than later but take away shooting what has he improved on in the two seasons here? Nothing.
We saw him with more of a midrange game and he did show the beginnings of some ability to drive to the basket, but as MikeSU02 says, and he's not wrong, he's a two dribble player and it remains to be seen how much more he can be trusted to do on that front next season. I think he did show some growth as a defender.

It is kind of interesting that we gave Maliq a lot of credit for playing within himself on offense and sticking with what he does best, but when Bell did that it opens up commentary about how he's incomplete, instead of giving him credit for playing within himself on offense and sticking with what he does best.

We saw him with more of a midrange game and he did show the beginnings of some ability to drive to the basket, but as MikeSU02 says, and he's not wrong, he's a two dribble player and it remains to be seen how much more he can be trusted to do on that front next season. I think he did show some growth as a defender.

It is kind of interesting that we gave Maliq a lot of credit for playing within himself on offense and sticking with what he does best, but when Bell did that it opens up commentary about how he's incomplete, instead of giving him credit for playing within himself on offense and sticking with what he does best.

What Mailiq does best is - everything else.
D, positioning, rebounding, passing, screening, etc.

Love Bell's shooting, but other than an occasional chase-down block, he's subpar at every other facet of basketball.

What Mailiq does best is - everything else.
D, positioning, rebounding, passing, screening, etc.

Love Bell's shooting, but other than an occasional chase-down block, he's subpar at every other facet of basketball.
I'm not disagreeing, but it's also why Bell fascinates me.

Like, his skill in one area is so high, with even marginal improvements to the rest of his game he becomes a much, much better player overall.

Whereas Maliq... how much better can he get? Especially in his new situation where he's not going to be showcased.

Like, his skill in one area is so high, with even marginal improvements to the rest of his game he becomes a much, much better player overall.

Whereas Maliq... how much better can he get? Especially in his new situation where he's not going to be showcased.
3 pt shooting and finishing for Maliq.

To answer above, I think Maliq would get less heat for “playing within himself” because he simply would not get passed to by Judah. Like nonstop on the pnr’s. When he played with Copeland, I thought he looked much more competent.

I think its because most posters understand instinctively that Bell has a much higher ceiling than Brown. Thus higher expectations. That and Bell has one glaringly good skill (the best one) and is lacking in others, while Brown is a very well rounded player but not a big offensive threat.

Last edited:

But my problem with Bell is he has the Athletic ability to be so much more.
MJ every year in college got better, and did the same thing as a Pro.
Until he became a complete player on both sides of the ball.
And even when he came back a 3rd time with Washington he still was better then most players.
I want to see Bell want to be great and put the work on.
Not saying Bell can emulate MJ, but he can be so much better.

Maybe. More likely that double will come from the weak side in that scenario.

IMO, Bell is not ideally suited to a 2 man, strong side game. He would be ideal as the shooter away - positioned on the weak side. In a 4 out set with a legitimate post up threat, the shooter away is the most difficult player for the D to account for in just about any m2m defense (or zone for that matter). The strong side wing in a 2 man game is typically more effective as a triple threat - shoot, drive, or re-feed the post.
I agree, I don't think most teams are going to double with Bell's defender. This means the double will have to come from farther away, as either the opponent's guards will have to drop down, or Freeman will be free under the basket.

Either way, not being able to guard a guy like Lampkin one on one is going to be bad news for opponents.

Last edited:

You missed my point and maybe it's my fault by referencing hall of famers. I just meant studying the greats and how they move off the ball would help free up Bell and cause the defense to work harder which would help him and also his teammates.

In this day and age of NIL and transfer portal aka free agency, I just want to take a moment to appreciate Chris Bell. He’s going to be entering his third season here and has improved every season. He’s the only remaining recruit from his class and I look forward to a great season from him next year. With players rarely staying at one school for 3 or 4 (or even 2) seasons anymore, it’s special having a player like Chris stay nowadays.
Agree 100% if nothing changes.

My hope would be a few items that if he even gets a little better at will make him a real asset and legit threat:

>> Being able to come off a screen/curl and catch and shoot. He doesn't even need to be able to go both right to left AND left to right, just one. That would be devastating because that means we can run him around like crazy. And, it's not asking him to dribble more.

>> I think with more buy-in overall on the defensive side, if it occurs, that he can be better. I don't think we'll have better individual defenders, but I think we'll have better total buy in.

>> I think he'll feel more appreciated and you'll just naturally see more effort plays. I think there is something that camaraderie (as cheesy as that sounds) will equal the rising tide lifting all boats. Maybe he won't ever be a natural rebounder, but maybe he gets more because he is just hustling 10% more and his teammates are also giving a bit more, overall.

I think if Bell buys in and trusts Red and trusts the process, I think the culture and camaraderie of a team that runs the right plays and the right system and showcases people's abilities, Bell will benefit greatly from that. I'm not going to get over Maliq leaving, but I now have an opening to be put on the Chris Bell Fan Club.

I predict another jump in his development as a Junior. Then put better shooters around him and an offense where the ball moves freely, watch out!
me too

for the decades of ncabb ive watched -players dont normally peak until junior/senior year...and they usually make a big jump in the process...hes already gotten so much better

i think bell gets a lot of heat unfairly...bc he has noticable holes in his game...

but I could totally see him stepping up and starring as a junior ...fingers crossed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom