Chris Bell looks to be coming back | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Chris Bell looks to be coming back

Buddy's first season there was a lot of the same just catching and shooting it. As he gained experience he started developing a solid handle backing down guys in the lane to free up space for a mid range jumper. Hoping of similar from Bell. Assuming Joe is gone, we may need him as a tall shooting guard to spell either JJ or Mintz. Think there have been more flashes of his ability to get to a mid range spot than people give him credit, granted he rarely if ever takes it all the way to the hoop. Think he will be an important part of the team next year, whether its at the 2 or 3. If Joe is out, then he can do things nobody else in our projected lineup next year can do.

Buddy's first season there was a lot of the same just catching and shooting it. As he gained experience he started developing a solid handle backing down guys in the lane to free up space for a mid range jumper. Hoping of similar from Bell. Assuming Joe is gone, we may need him as a tall shooting guard to spell either JJ or Mintz. Think there have been more flashes of his ability to get to a mid range spot than people give him credit, granted he rarely if ever takes it all the way to the hoop. Think he will be an important part of the team next year, whether its at the 2 or 3. If Joe is out, then he can do things nobody else in our projected lineup next year can do.
We have no need for the buddy backdown from bell with players like Judah and JJ on the floor. Reposition yourself and Get your hands ready for the pass Chris, then knock that open 3 down.

We have no need for the buddy backdown from bell with players like Judah and JJ on the floor. Reposition yourself and Get your hands ready for the pass Chris, then knock that open 3 down.
Agree we don't NEED it, but everyone needs to develop a handle. Especially if we have more need for him in the backcourt. If he stays at the 3, then it will be exciting having him as a threat from range while we have JJ and Judah drawing tons of attention.

Agree we don't NEED it, but everyone needs to develop a handle. Especially if we have more need for him in the backcourt. If he stays at the 3, then it will be exciting having him as a threat from range while we have JJ and Judah drawing tons of attention.
If Judah and Jesse both come back….the drive and kick game from the guards, and the Edwards kick out need to be worked on and emphasized, because they will all collapse the paint and guys like Bell will get looks. Gotta find him.

Villanova’s drive and kick game under Wright was top notch and is something we need to aspire to, IMO.

If Judah and Jesse both come back….the drive and kick game from the guards, and the Edwards kick out need to be worked on and emphasized, because they will all collapse the paint and guys like Bell will get looks. Gotta find him.

Villanova’s drive and kick game under Wright was top notch and is something we need to aspire to, IMO.

Judah
JJ
Benny
Brown
Jesse

Big, athletic starting 5.

Cooney was definitely way better than Girard.
Yes. I wouldn't want either to take the game winning shot, but Cooney brought all the little things you need to win. Joe not so much.

I would love a better 4 than Brown. Not hating on the guy but there are going to be some strong portal forwards. Guys that can do it all. Let's get one. With the other 4, that would be quite a team.
This is 100% how I feel as well.

Judah
JJ
Benny
Brown
Jesse

Big, athletic starting 5.
They are big & athletic, but that was the starting front court for a couple games... the results were not great. We need more skill (creating & putting the ball on the floor) from at least one of those Forward spots

Agreed...but Brown can still improve greatly. He'd be a fantastic 20 min a game player
Don't get me wrong, I like the kid a lot. I just think there is going to be a forward out there that we can get that can do it all. And just might put us over the top to being really good. I think with JJ, Mintz, Edwards (hopefully) and Benny, we are 4/5ths of being a top 20 team. One more guy.

What used to drive me crazy about Cooney as a "shooter" was that he seemed to miss/be wildly inconsistent on wide open 3's. When guys like Buddy & JG3 are wide open, it's my expectation it's going in at a high clip... with Cooney, he could be standing alone with a half a course of space around him & I'm thinking "Yeah, I have no idea what this shot is going to do."
Those early years of Cooney bricks and airballs were something lol

Id be cautious jumping on the Benny train. I know 2 of his last 4 games were outstanding but he was zero's in the Wake game to end the season. We'll need to see some consistency. Occasionally great doesn't mean much.

Id be cautious jumping on the Benny train. I know 2 of his last 4 games were outstanding but he was zero's in the Wake game to end the season. We'll need to see some consistency. Occasionally great doesn't mean much.
I am going to go out on a limb here and say you will see a new Benny with a new coach mentoring him. I think before it was an oil and water thing. Benny needs a little tlc, that is all.

Don't get me wrong, I like the kid a lot. I just think there is going to be a forward out there that we can get that can do it all. And just might put us over the top to being really good. I think with JJ, Mintz, Edwards (hopefully) and Benny, we are 4/5ths of being a top 20 team. One more guy.
I agree. Like the Starling pickup and am happy we are getting up and down, but we still need floor spacers to have a good half court offense. We saw this year with Edwards and Brown together that at times the lane would be clogged and it was easy to double Jesse or stop Judah from getting to the basket.

I would love a better 4 than Brown. Not hating on the guy but there are going to be some strong portal forwards. Guys that can do it all. Let's get one. With the other 4, that would be quite a team.
Exactly. Brown will only be a sophomore, needs more development, and would still be a key reserve. I wish these kids weren’t so impatient and hope they won’t be. I’d love to see us get a high level forward from the portal at the 3 or 4, depending on who comes back. Brown and Bell will still play because hopefully we’ll play fast and more guys will get playing time.

Yeeeeesssss. Monster dunks and three pointers.

No more taking 14 seconds to attempt a Kobe turn around jumper at 45% or step-back 2s from 20 ft.

Defensively he was WAY better. And that can’t simply be measured by steals.

Joe was a better offensive player though - better shooter, ball handler from the 2 spot, and passer.
Tyler and Trevor excelled at not only preventing penetration but getting steals from their active defense. They were an excellent tandem at the top of the zone with active feet, hands and anticipation. They would guide opponents so one or the other could deflect passes, prevent penetration. Between then they averaged almost 4 steals a game, most ending up in transition buckets or foul shots. They worked so well together. We really missed that active defense up top. It takes coordination between the guards to lock up the top.

My concern is will Red hit the portal for a big time forward if all 3 of Taylor/Bell/Copeland return? I’m not excited about running back the forward spot as is, and that’s where we need a big talent upgrade?

Agreed, love Brown but that is a position you should upgrade. Brown can be a good bench player but if he is playing 30+ (without a shot outside of 3 feet) we are very, very limited offensively. He would be a great 6th or 7th man.

If we’re going to play man, we need to find a tough, hard nosed defensive player. You have to have some toughness. If he can shoot and rebound, that’s even better. We don’t need another finesse offensive player.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom