Chris Bell.. | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Chris Bell..

He battled out there but we didn't run anything for him. Plus we didn't have many transition opportunities in the 2nd half to get him good looks. But, regardless, it wasn't a good look from a kid who was lights out. He still needs to be part of the team.
I’d roll my eyes too if I had to watch Mintz dribble the ball off his own legs while double teamed and I’m hotter than a wool sweater in Kansas City in July

How many times did JJ or Judah pass the ball to Bell in the first 8 minutes of the second half? They didn’t. Then he got that one shot off a screen with about 11 minutes left. Once the game was tight, JJ tried to give it to Bell twice both times too late and threw it out of bounds. I can’t remember Judah looking for Bell the whole entire second half. We’ve got some talented players, but most of them have no idea how to play team basketball. That goes for Bell as well. You have to know they’re gonna change the defense on you in the second half. Have to do something else to get open or diversify your offense. At the very least run around and make them chase you, so they’re tired and your teammates have more opportunity.

It’s really pretty amazing. That red has managed to get 17 wins with this group.
Yeah Judah and JJs stats don’t lie no assists.

Red doesn’t have the stones to promote glue guy distributor Cope and send either a message.

How many times did JJ or Judah pass the ball to Bell in the first 8 minutes of the second half? They didn’t. Then he got that one shot off a screen with about 11 minutes left. Once the game was tight, JJ tried to give it to Bell twice both times too late and threw it out of bounds. I can’t remember Judah looking for Bell the whole entire second half. We’ve got some talented players, but most of them have no idea how to play team basketball. That goes for Bell as well. You have to know they’re gonna change the defense on you in the second half. Have to do something else to get open or diversify your offense. At the very least run around and make them chase you, so they’re tired and your teammates have more opportunity.

It’s really pretty amazing. That red has managed to get 17 wins with this group.
I do not criticise our guys, that being said we need to run something to free Bell when he is en fuego.

Yeah Judah and JJs stats don’t lie no assists.

Red doesn’t have the stones to promote glue guy distributor Cope and send either a message.
Box score I saw shows they each had three assists. Are you suggesting Red starts Cope over JJ or Judah? But not over Taylor? Asking for a friend.

Besides being face guarded, Bell tries to run through the lane to the other side but often the guys inside were not trying to screen his man. The state defender would run with Bell basically unimpeded. Then the two ball hog guards aren’t even bothering to look to get the ball to him on kick outs.

Yes, it is a fact that Red has been able to get 17 W's with this group with the griping, not playing this game, immaturity, the Syracuse sophomores.

They wouldn't pass it to Bell because NCST had a Big 5 feet away from him and Bell just stood in the corner waiting, dangerous. Every time they tried a pass NCST would bat it away. Bell has to move even though that's his spot.

It is a great night. we won and Bell almost tied Gerry for the most 3's in a game with 8 one away from Gerry with 9.

Theoretically Cuse could have had Richmond, Girard, Guerrier, and Edwards as starters. Really interesting to look back on the last few seasons.
And JB could still be their coach.

Besides being face guarded, Bell tries to run through the lane to the other side but often the guys inside were not trying to screen his man. The state defender would run with Bell basically unimpeded. Then the two ball hog guards aren’t even bothering to look to get the ball to him on kick outs.
The second half was bad third grade cyo ball where the win at all costs coach sticks the worst kid in the corner and tells them to never move to avoid them ever getting in the way of the good kid

Except here, the good kid isn't that good and the bad kid can't miss

I agree that they didn't run any plays for him. But on the other hand, he does so little to get himself open. He just camps in his favorite spots and waits for the defender to go cover someone else.
Their offense is mintz trying to draw defenders away from other players so he can kick to the open guy crash into more than one defender

Last edited:
I agree that they didn't run any plays for him. But on the other hand, he does so little to get himself open. He just camps in his favorite spots and waits for the defender to go cover someone else.

He doesn’t set good screens so you can’t use him in screening action and he chooses to camp out but people blame Red saying it’s Red’s offense.

We have young players and some that lack the instincts of an upperclassman to recognize the easier path to a W. It’s a frustrating slog. They just went and shot 51 pct on the road and 18-19 from the FT line in a borderline quad 1 game. Most of the hand wringing I’m reading is just boil over from GT.

The second half was bad third grade cyo ball where the win at all costs coach sticks the worst kid in the corner and tells them to never move to avoid them ever getting in the way of the good kid

Except here, the good kid isn't that good and the bad kid can't miss

Yep. That was the 2nd half offense and it was awful.

Not really true. I was specifically watching Bell in the second half to see what was going on. I noticed 3 things. He's standing on the wing camped out, as he normally does, being face guarded. NC State is choosing to play 4v4. Side note, him camping out is what I call the kickout offense except our 2 lead guards don't ever kick it out. Bell at times cuts hard through the lane from one wing to the other except if Brown is up setting picks this is worthless, there's no one to rub off. Other times Brown and Copeland are around the lane when he cuts through, but nobody tries to pick off the defender. So again, its not doing much to free Bell. And then there are times when, Bell appears to not be giving much effort to get open because he knows he's not getting the ball from Mintz.

Not really true. I was specifically watching Bell in the second half to see what was going on. I noticed 3 things. He's standing on the wing camped out, as he normally does, being face guarded. NC State is choosing to play 4v4. Side note, him camping out is what I call the kickout offense except our 2 lead guards don't ever kick it out. Bell at times cuts hard through the lane from one wing to the other except if Brown is up setting picks this is worthless, there's no one to rub off. Other times Brown and Copeland are around the lane when he cuts through, but nobody tries to pick off the defender. So again, its not doing much to free Bell. And then there are times when, Bell appears to not be giving much effort to get open because he knows he's not getting the ball from Mintz.
Good video on "gap theory"

What I don't understand about mintz is he seems to be completely unaware of what he'd be asked to do at the next level. None of this is in his interest. He seems to want to be harden. Harden is his own kick out option taking a hundred steps back, finishes better, shoots better, and even he still bounces around.

Kids who learn to make the right pass aren't skilled enough to get by people and kids who can get by people don't learn to make the right pass. Syracuse goes for combo guards and hope they figure it out quick. It's not a bad strategy but this time around it didn't work

YEP!

Not true at all. He’s running the offensive set called for.

They are sophomores. Now go back and think how mature you were at that stage in life . They have grit
Maybe it came across as bashing. It’s not. They’re very immature. These are facts. They have a lot of room to grow. I’m with you dawg trust

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom