Chris Bell.. | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Chris Bell..

They are sophomores. Now go back and think how mature you were at that stage in life . They have grit
Buddies and me were thinking up “oof color” team names for the spring version of the Phi Lam Derby at Geneseo.
If you know, you know.

I probably would have rolled my eyes too if the call was more 3 man ball.

Seeing that play out, the first thought I had was "No way that happens under Boeheim". Maybe behind closed doors, but the diss of Red was obvious. I would've parked his azz BEHIND the doghouse after the game.
Overall I'm happy with Red's first year, but he really needs to cut ties with some of these kids and their attitudes. The "good guy" HC never ages well. JMHO

Last edited:
Seeing that play out, the first thought I had was "No way that happens under Boeheim". Maybe behind closed doors, but the diss of Red was obvious. I would've parked his azz BEHIND the doghouse after the game.
Overall I'm happy with Red's first year, but he really needs to cut ties with some of these kids and their attitudes. The "good guy" HC never ages well. JMHO
Were you around for the years of Leo Rautins, Derrick Coleman, Paul Harris or Dion Waiters? If you were you would never make that statement of " No way that happens under Boeheim." That's like saying " No way that crap happens under Andy Reid."

Were you around for the years of Leo Rautins, Derrick Coleman, Paul Harris or Dion Waiters? If you were you would never make that statement of " No way that happens under Boeheim." That's like saying " No way that crap happens under Andy Reid."

I've been an SU fan going on 55 years now- starting at about 7 yrs old w/ my uncle who taught at SU. Late 70's is when I became a student so, yeah...I think I was here for the Rautins, Coleman, Harris, and Waiters years.
Correct me if I'm wrong, when did ANY one of those players blatantly dismiss JB in the huddle during a TO, walk away to the side, and literally mumble loudly enough for anyone to see/hear, right in JB's face in front of the cameras. Not saying it didn't happen, but name one, where they went back in the game and kept playing? I'll wait.

I've been an SU fan going on 55 years now- starting at about 7 yrs old w/ my uncle who taught at SU. Late 70's is when I became a student so, yeah...I think I was here for the Rautins, Coleman, Harris, and Waiters years.
Correct me if I'm wrong, when did ANY one of those players blatantly dismiss JB in the huddle during a TO, walk away to the side, and literally mumble loudly enough for anyone to see/hear, right in JB's face in front of the cameras. Not saying it didn't happen, but name one, where they went back in the game and kept playing? I'll wait.
Multiple players physically attacked JB and stayed on the team.

A camera just didn’t catch it. I saw Q do the same early season. Didn’t roll his eyes that I saw but was pissed and pulled away from Red making faces. Much ado about nothing.

A camera just didn’t catch it. I saw Q do the same early season. Didn’t roll his eyes that I saw but was pissed and pulled away from Red making faces. Much ado about nothing.

Guys on the floor yelling at each other while a play is going on is not a good look.
I don't care how much you want to minimize this. Bell doesn't have the greatest attitude.

Yes, Copeland also gets too emotional, and Mintz complains to the refs every time he doesn't get a call.

Maliq Brown is the one cool head out there on the floor. Starling also seems like he's becoming a leader to me.

Guys on the floor yelling at each other while a play is going on is not a good look.
I don't care how much you want to minimize this. Bell doesn't have the greatest attitude.

Yes, Copeland also gets too emotional, and Mintz complains to the refs every time he doesn't get a call.

Maliq Brown is the one cool head out there on the floor. Starling also seems like he's becoming a leader to me.

Maliq Brown led the team in number of times complaining to the ref vs NC State.

Maliq Brown led the team in number of times complaining to the ref vs NC State.

Generally speaking, do you disagree that he seems to have the most calm demeanor of anyone on the floor?

Well I haven’t missed a minute and I don’t recall Bell yelling at other players. Others saw him yell at Cuffe when he was in the wrong defense, so I guess I missed that.

This one did.
And my point is, repeat incidents like this featuring multiple players, are not being addressed accordingly by Red.
Call me out in practice, let's yell at one another in the gym, but don't diss me during a game under any circumstances, "heat of the moment" be damned, or you sit. JMHO

He could be trying to light a fire, to inspire, to lead with desire. We don’t know what is being said. Also, if a guy F’s up, it’s okay to let him know.

In the locker room, maybe, but never on television. Be honest about that.
Got it.

So I guess my retort is “No way that happens under Red” in regards to players throwing chairs at his head

Boss, you're exercising some selective memory here, and you even named two of your own that were visibly dismissive of JB during the game at times.

I've been an SU fan since 1973. So out of the 4 guys I mentioned.....Rautins, Coleman, Harris and Waiters all went back in games where they screamed and cussed at Boeheim. Rautins and Boeheim even went to the floor in the locker room at halftime of a game. Boeheim never benched any of those guys for reacting to his verbal attacks.

Last edited:
Well I haven’t missed a minute and I don’t recall Bell yelling at other players. Others saw him yell at Cuffe when he was in the wrong defense, so I guess I missed that.
I did see JJ ready to smack Bell in the Ga Tech game Saturday. Autry quickly intervened.

I've been an SU fan since 1973. So out of the 4 guys I mentioned...Rautins, Coleman, Harris and Waiters all went back in games where they screamed and cussed at Boeheim. Rautins and Boeheim even went to the floor in the locker room at halftime of a game. Boeheim never benched any of those guys for reacting to his verbal attacks.
Rautins, really? Leo or Andy?

This is the condensed game. If you (or anyone) taped the whole game off the TV, the incident happened beginning at 5:00 and running until 4:52 left in the game. (The 8:53 mark in this 9:51 video.).

Bell missed a corner 3, and was a bit slow getting back. There was confusion between him and Cuffe over who should guard who, and they gave up an open 3 to Sturdivant.

The confrontation occurred right after this sequence in the clip, and continued when they went to the bench.

There was also a confrontation mentioned by the announcers with 11:52 left in the 2nd half, between Judah and Copeland as they were coming off the floor. Yes, you can say, "that's normal basketball".

But you don't usually hear the announcers making a point of mentioning these things. You and I have both been watching SU for more than 50 years. I have no reason to make things up. Maybe because you were at a couple games in person, you might not have seen it. But there's just too much of this stuff, in my opinion. It doesn't make you feel like "teammates" with your teammates.

Three things re Maliq and the O:

He barely ever has plays run for him

Our guards besides Q can’t hit a roll guy in traffic

Maliq’s perfect spot is the dunker spot which he can’t play bc we’re starting a mix and match team right now.
Judah had several really, really nice deliveries to Brown in the NC State game. In fact, Judah's play created that whole scenario for Brown to get the ball down the lane and kick out to Bell. The frustration with Judah here makes sense in many ways, and I can't speak for off-the-court, lockerrom stuff ... but damn, the kid gets criticism even when he does something well. He didn't score and missed 10 mins with foul trouble, but Judah actually played a really nice first half in that game. kept the ball moving, played the high ball screen to perfection, solid defense. Second half was a lot of head down dribbling but even there, some key buckets and a great box out on the final shot.

I don't know, disappointing year for the kid and can't speak for the stuff I don't know, but feel like sometimes we need to appreciate the things kids do, not just prattle on about the things they don't do.

This one did.
And my point is, repeat incidents like this featuring multiple players, are not being addressed accordingly by Red.
Call me out in practice, let's yell at one another in the gym, but don't diss me during a game under any circumstances, "heat of the moment" be damned, or you sit. JMHO
How do you know what Red is or isn't doing behind the scenes with his team in terms of disciplining players for their behavior on and off the court? You are simply speculating.

This is the condensed game. If you (or anyone) taped the whole game off the TV, the incident happened beginning at 5:00 and running until 4:52 left in the game. (The 8:53 mark in this 9:51 video.).

Bell missed a corner 3, and was a bit slow getting back. There was confusion between him and Cuffe over who should guard who, and they gave up an open 3 to Sturdivant.

The confrontation occurred right after this sequence in the clip, and continued when they went to the bench.

There was also a confrontation mentioned by the announcers with 11:52 left in the 2nd half, between Judah and Copeland as they were coming off the floor. Yes, you can say, "that's normal basketball".

But you don't usually hear the announcers making a point of mentioning these things. You and I have both been watching SU for more than 50 years. I have no reason to make things up. Maybe because you were at a couple games in person, you might not have seen it. But there's just too much of this stuff, in my opinion. It doesn't make you feel like "teammates" with your teammates.

Bell's not the most instinctive player. It may be his biggest weakness -- and he has a few. That's a spot where he's late getting back and Cuffe is basically taking his spot in the zone to cover the guy in the corner. Then Bell wants to switch back when there's an opportunity, so maybe that's on cuffe for not doing it sooner, but I would think he was thinking let's just stay in position until a dead ball so no one goes left uncovered.

Not sure exactly who's right and who's wrong on the assignment, but Bell reacts by basically not playing defense and arguing AND Bell watches his shot and doesn't move until Ga Tech clears the rebound (you missed, you're not getting the rebound, start getting back). So those lack of instincts hurt, even if it's cuffe that screwed up the actual assignment.

I'd also say our communication on defense has been an issue all season. Definitely something for Red to work on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom