Chuckwu and Fab Melo | Syracusefan.com

Chuckwu and Fab Melo

TinyManInside

Our only goal will be the western shores.
Interesting comparison here between Pascal and Fab at the end of the out-of-conference portion of the schedule for Fab (2011-2012) and Pascal (2017-18).

Through 15 non-conference games in 2011-02 Fab (SO) had played a total of 688 minutes of college basketball.

Through the end of non-conference this year, Pascal (JR) has played a total of 772 minutes of college basketball.

So effectively they have very similar game experience, with Pascal having logged 84 more minutes in total. So this seems like a good place to compare their productivity. [The caveat is of course that PC lost a year to injury and also has a lot more practice time because he sat out a year for transfer. The transfer year could obviously been seen as a benefit but the eye injury was clearly a major setback. Offsetting, maybe?].

Anyway, at the end of the non-conference schedule in Fab's final season and where PC is now, here is the 'in season' comparison:

Pascal /// Fab
25.3 mpg /// 24.0 mpg
64.3% fg /// 51.8% fg
56.4% ft /// 50.0% ft
6.1 rbg /// 5.6 rbg
3.3 bs /// 2.1 bs
5.8 ppg /// 6.7 ppg

Here are the per 40s:

Pascal /// Fab
9.5 rbg /// 9.3 rbg
5.2 bs /// 3.5 bs
9.2 ppg /// 11.2 ppg

Wow! Very similar. Fab a better scorer (though not quite as efficiently as PC), and PC a better shot blocker. Rebounding almost dead even.

-Mason

Interesting to note (but not shown) - Fab showed steady improvement during the OOC portion of the schedule that year and even picked up his productivity in nearly every category when league play came, which is pretty impressive because that's rarely seen in SU players. It would be awesome if PC can do the same this year, considering that he too has shown steady improvement during the OOC portion of the schedule.

(one note here, I haven't compared relative SOS of the 2011-12 and 2017-18 seasons)

Last edited:
I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm really pleasantly surprised with how he's played compared to my expectations coming into the season.
Thought you were going to say how this shows stats can be deceiving.

I like the statistical comparison, although I am having trouble with the comparison based on a straight "eye" test of the two players....fwiw.

What I will say is that there is no doubt that Chuckwu is going to be significantly more productive and useful this season than most anticipated and I suspect he will be even more so next year.

I don't think Pc is ever going to be the defensive presence like Fab was, but if he keeps working he can be a better offensive threat, and it seems like Pc has his head on the right way.

Agreed with this. Stats aside I felt like Soph Fab could dominate a game. PC not so much.
I agree with this sentiment, but maybe the cast surrounding Fab just made him feel more dominant..We had shooters, length, good role players, and a guard that could pretty much get by anyone he wanted.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm really pleasantly surprised with how he's played compared to my expectations coming into the season.
Yeah. He's been a better basketball player (re: not just a really tall guy) than expected.

Hello! I did!

I wouldn't call it a prediction, you said he'd do well just to say he'd do well with rational reasoning other than he wore an orange jersey.

He still looks lost and and his contributions are amplified because we literally have nobody else to play his position while we constantly play teams of midgets.

I find the comparison statistics interesting. Most impressed by the continuous improvement we have seen as the season has progressed. Worried a bit about his playing time in the future especially if he will be our only big man. Can not wait (hope it happens this year) until he clears the hurdle of consistently jamming the ball into the basket rather than the rim.

Question: Has it ever been determined whether he got a medical red shirt for last year? Understand the fact he already had a red shirt but think there have been a few exceptions in the past.

Fab was a much more physical presence. He wasn’t easy to move and he wasn’t pushed around. Fab was also great at drawing offensive fouls.

Yes, this.

Which are WAAAAAY more valuable than a blocked shot.
It's a turnover & a foul for the other team, and you get the ball back 100% of the time.

Fab seemed to draw like 2-3 charges a game.

Yes, this.

It's a turnover & a foul for the other team, and you get the ball back 100% of the time.

Correct, but blocked shots can lead to misses down the road.

Yes, this.

I think the 'offensive foul' era in college hoops (Duke's Shane Battier always comes to mind) is done.

Fab would have drawn more charges than PC in today's game, but it wouldn't have been as many as back then IMHO.

Interesting comparison here between Pascal and Fab at the end of the out-of-conference portion of the schedule for Fab (2011-2012) and Pascal (2017-18).

Through 15 non-conference games in 2011-02 Fab (SO) had played a total of 688 minutes of college basketball.

Through the end of non-conference this year, Pascal (JR) has played a total of 772 minutes of college basketball.

So effectively they have very similar game experience, with Pascal having logged 84 more minutes in total. So this seems like a good place to compare their productivity. [The caveat is of course that PC lost a year to injury and also has a lot more practice time because he sat out a year for transfer. The transfer year could obviously been seen as a benefit but the eye injury was clearly a major setback. Offsetting, maybe?].

Anyway, at the end of the non-conference schedule in Fab's final season and where PC is now, here is the 'in season' comparison:

Pascal /// Fab
25.3 mpg /// 24.0 mpg
64.3% fg /// 51.8% fg
56.4% ft /// 50.0% ft
6.1 rbg /// 5.6 rbg
3.3 bs /// 2.1 bs
5.8 ppg /// 6.7 ppg

Here are the per 40s:

Pascal /// Fab
9.5 rbg /// 9.3 rbg
5.2 bs /// 3.5 bs
9.2 ppg /// 11.2 ppg

Wow! Very similar. Fab a better scorer (though not quite as efficiently as PC), and PC a better shot blocker. Rebounding almost dead even.

-Mason

Interesting to note (but not shown) - Fab showed steady improvement during the OOC portion of the schedule that year and even picked up his productivity in nearly every category when league play came, which is pretty impressive because that's rarely seen in SU players. It would be awesome if PC can do the same this year, considering that he too has shown steady improvement during the OOC portion of the schedule.

(one note here, I haven't compared relative SOS of the 2011-12 and 2017-18 seasons)

Nice to see you here, all time favorite of mine.

Fab was a much more physical presence. He wasn’t easy to move and he wasn’t pushed around. Fab was also great at drawing offensive fouls.

Yes, he was the best flopper (by far) that Boeheim ever put on the court. Shumpert was also good at flopping, but Melo was in a league of his own.

Chukwu's advanced metrics rate him as one of the best defensive players in the country. He's currently 8th in the NCAA in blocks, first on Box/Plus Minus, and 3rd in the NCAA in block percentage. He's a big reason why Virginia Tech only attempted 22 two point shots on Sunday.