Cincy Sucking Up To The ACC | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Cincy Sucking Up To The ACC

risky...I assume you would want Navy for FB only. Their Lax team would stay in the Patriot. But getting GTown would elevate the Lax league to 6 teams. ESPN would have to take notice.

risky...I assume you would want Navy for FB only. Their Lax team would stay in the Patriot. But getting GTown would elevate the Lax league to 6 teams. ESPN would have to take notice.
I get what you're saying, but Lax ain't driving the bus. The ACC (I typed we, deleted it, then had to pinch myself :) ) does not need Georgetown. Screw them. Don't you know what time it is?

I will resist the strong urge to insert my grand overview of potential ACC expansion by settling for the synopsis:

First, no one comes in until ND goes all in.

Given that caveat, here are the options:

1) Cincy: Completes Midwestern pod, very good FB and MBB, other sports not so good, academics better than Lville but still low end, TV market needs work.
2) UConn: Completes Northeastern Pod (counting Miami), great MBB and other sports, FB bringing up the rear, academics decent, TV market decent
3) Navy/Gtown hybrid: Fills in Midatlantic gap, low end FB, high end MBB, academics excellent, national TV market, two excellent lax programs
4) All of the above. All the positives and negatives above, but will probably end up being two leagues joined by a TV contract and post-season play.

As there is no further expansion until ND goes full member in football, it stands to reason that the only way we get ND to take that leap is make #16 who ND prefers.

If Navy wants to be in ACC football with ND, then that is what will happen.

As there is no further expansion until ND goes full member in football, it stands to reason that the only way we get ND to take that leap is make #16 who ND prefers.

My idea has many detractors: but if ND wants Navy for FB only you should add Georgetown (or Nova if GTown sez No) for everything but FB. It gives you 16 in FB and 16 in BB. I like the idea of Johns Hopkins as an associate member for Lax only. I know folks think this is going the way of the BE but it really isn't. The BE was split in half by FB and BB first teams. This plan should only be put into motion if ND has a willingness to go in for everything.

My wish list would be:
1 No hybrids. I get the whole ND thing (again). But I don't have to like it. Which I don't.
Hate the Navy/GT hybrid idea. A conference needs one clear identity. You need fans across the country to know who is in. That was clearly the BE's problem for the last 15 years. Don't repeat the same mistakes. Learn from history.

2. Agree with Risky above that no further ACC expansion will take place until a) ND goes all in, or b) the ACC loses a team. I don't expect either of those things to happen any time soon if ever.

3. I'm indifferent to the Cincy vs Yukon discussion. No strong feelings either way. Agree with PSU is never going to happen. I still think WVU is a good addition, "akademiks" aside.

My idea has many detractors: but if ND wants Navy for FB only you should add Georgetown (or Nova if GTown sez No) for everything but FB. It gives you 16 in FB and 16 in BB. I like the idea of Johns Hopkins as an associate member for Lax only. I know folks think this is going the way of the BE but it really isn't. The BE was split in half by FB and BB first teams. This plan should only be put into motion if ND has a willingness to go in for everything.

The Patriot league already has the reverse hybrid -- GTown for football, Navy for everything else. So, it CAN work. Another way to make the hybrid route more palatable is to make the agreement part of a long-term TV contract, rather than "regular" conference memberships. That way, Navy and GTown can come to an agreement between themselves that a) they are splitting one spot between them, and b) what percentage of the contract they each get. Tying it to the TV contract avoids the pesky entrance/exit fees. Really, the main problem is distinguishing GT from GT.

Yep, and they might also prefer Cincy for the geography -- I suspect ND had something to do with Lville getting in. Uconn has to be #3 on the who-does-ND-want list.

Correct. The BE problem was not that it had 1 school that did not play 1A football. The BE problem was that it was founded of, by, and for basketball interests 100% and of its core 8 team 'founders' only 2 (Cuse and BC) played 1A football.

There is a huge difference between having, on one hand, 2 schools sharing 1 league place, with one playing football and the other playing basketball, and on the other hand having 8 schools that are members for basketball and not for football.

Both Georgetown and Navy play lacrosse. If they get added, there is no need for Hopkins, because we would have DC and MD covered.

Correct. The BE problem was not that it had 1 school that did not play 1A football. The BE problem was that it was founded of, by, and for basketball interests 100% and of its core 8 team 'founders' only 2 (Cuse and BC) played 1A football.

There is a huge difference between having, on one hand, 2 schools sharing 1 league place, with one playing football and the other playing basketball, and on the other hand having 8 schools that are members for basketball and not for football.

Both Georgetown and Navy play lacrosse. If they get added, there is no need for Hopkins, because we would have DC and MD covered.
GTown will be in the C-7 for all sports save 1AA FB. I don' t think they are allowed to have FB in the Patriot and Lax in the ACC. I think only FB in the Patriot is allowed for them. Navy is similar in situation.

Brings more clout to the northern portion of the ACC and keeps the geographic integrity of the league, preserves a passionate rivalry for SU and rekindles a passionate rivalry with BC, fits the state school academic profile of the league. Sure some of their fans can be obnoxious, but that's what rivalries are about and they bring a lot to the party.
Obviously a man who knows what he's talking about...except for the obnoxious part...:)

Obviously a man who knows what he's talking about...except for the obnoxious part...:)
Plus you still get to tailgate with your Cuse family members once a year!

Isn't Cincinnati the Iroquois word for meh? Also, UConn is prison slang for "Have you previously been incarcerated?"